Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bolt frozen in Primary/Derby cover

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 08:38 AM
Chicago Spike
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Bolt frozen in Primary/Derby cover

Went to change the primary oil this weekend and did a dumb thing. I removed the drain plug first thinking that a tiny torx screw at 15ft/pounds of torque should pop off easy. 4 did, with just a torx bit on a nut driver. The 5th however, didn't budge. So I get my 4 inch, 1/4inch drive ratchet for a little extra torque to pop the screw loose. Nope, so I grab the 3/8s drive ratchet and try again. Really putting my back into it. Nope, and I look at the torx socket, FROM SNAP-ON TOOLS and the torx splines ARE TWISTED!!!! How much force was that bolt put on with? Now, I've been wrenching on bikes for years, and have never had a screw frozen like this. So I call my buddy that wrenches on fire trucks to see if he can help. He brings his Snap-On torx set and twists his socket too. So we go for broke, cut a slot in the screw head and get a BFS(big F'ing screwdriver) and he says this will get it out. Nope, Snap-On flat blade screwdriver twists the head on that screwdriver too. So, now I head to the dealer and see what kind of BS they are going to give me about me doing this to the bike. They WERE supposed to have changed the oil at the 1000 mile check-up. My feelings, and my buddies feelings, are that the tech ran into this screw and left it alone. Didn't change the primary oil, charged me for it and didn't say anything about the frozen screw. I doubt that the dealer did this to the screw, seems the assembly line guy with the air gun ran the screw in and cross-threaded it. We'll see what the dealer says [:@]

Old 08-06-2007, 08:39 AM
Chicago Spike
Road Warrior
Default RE: Bolt frozen in Primary/Derby cover

PS.....At least I get to go to the Snap-On store for replacements and shopping

Old 08-06-2007, 08:44 AM
SIM
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never heard of a screw that could twist that many professional grade tools. Sounds like cross thread/Heat to me.

Old 08-06-2007, 08:56 AM
chappy_2336
Cruiser

Had the exact same problem brother, I ended up drilling the head off of the screw, using a bit the same size as the screw where the threads are,guess what, when i pulled the cover off, the rest of the screw came out with my fingers. The bolt head is probably locked into the cover somehow, whether it be a little corrosion or locktite. Hope this helps, a new screw was cheap.

Old 08-06-2007, 09:19 AM
EasternSP
Banned
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 24,869 Likes on 9,332 Posts

Sounds like, easy out time. Just don't scratch the chrome.

Old 08-06-2007, 09:54 AM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Chappy has the correct solution, had to do the same thing, for me, it was the screw that is about at the 2 o'clock position that was froze. If it is still froze, you can pretty much guarantee that the primary oil was not changed when it was in for service.

Old 08-06-2007, 09:57 AM
Ghosty
Tourer

Try an impact driver. They work very well on stuck screws. Good luck.

Old 08-06-2007, 12:25 PM
Mathews2
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Had the same problem when I was doing my 1000 mile service. Ghosty has the right Idea, I cut a slot in the screw with a dremel and then used a manual impact driver to get it out. You should have seen the look on my wifes face when I 1st start cutting on the new bike with a dremel and then when I was hitting the impact with a hammer.

Old 08-06-2007, 12:28 PM
SIM
Outstanding HDF Member

Just for the sake of knowledge were the screws all in the smae position for everyone? Dalton has mentioned the one he had issue with was at 2'oclock

Old 08-06-2007, 12:48 PM
Chicago Spike
Road Warrior

Yep, mine is at the 2 O'clock position too. We tried the impact, and heat, and swearing, hasn't budged

Quick Reply: Bolt frozen in Primary/Derby cover