Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bolt frozen in Primary/Derby cover

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 06:30 PM
Mathews2
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Bolt frozen in Primary/Derby cover

well, I just took my derby cover off to change the fluid tp formula + and put on the skull collection derby cover, and guess what I had to slot the same screw and use the impact to get it out. Mine is at the 8 o'clock position. same as last time. I am hoping that the skull derby cover comes off a little easier since you change the screws and add washers

Old 08-07-2007, 07:08 PM
user 37474839
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Derby covers are factory torqued to the max..I've broken 2 torx bits in the last year with Derby covers. I wish I could find a GOOD set of heavy duty torx bits that aren't brittle and don't break off under pressure...better yet,I think I'm gonna replace the torx with stainless hex bolts with a slightly larger head...

Anyone done this?

Old 08-07-2007, 09:42 PM
choochoo
Banned

first were you using a T27 tork bit? the correct size.
Second somebody may have over tightened it or may have used loc-tite
or even cross threaded it going in (the stealer, uuhhh I mean dealer).
If it was just over tightened or it just got the hot cold hot cold set, then a sharp rap with hammer will normally break the set loose.
Use the correct tork bit add an appropriate length extension to it.
Works really well with a screwdriver type handle. Hit the end with a hammer and twist to unscrew at same time.
Or you could use an impact driver (works the same way).

Old 08-07-2007, 09:50 PM
gman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i hate the torx bolts on the derby cover. even with the correct bit, you have to be very careful or you will stip the head. I threw them away and got chrome allen head bolts from Ace Hardware. They work like a charm. no more sweating whether i'll strip a head when i change primary oil. they come right out with no problem. Installed them on both my WG and UC.

Old 08-07-2007, 09:56 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yep, replaced all of mine with chrome allen head bolts...no more problems.

I am curious just what is the deal with this particular problem....way too many people are having the same issue, and no, no one at the dealer took it out and put it back in and overtorqued it. I did the first and all services since myself.

Old 08-07-2007, 09:57 PM
choochoo
Banned

I used the black headed allen head bolts. Nice minimal contrast to the chrome.

Old 08-08-2007, 03:45 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I had read about this issue before changing out my derby cover. Luckily, mine came off with little effort. Did you try heating the screw? Or is it to far gone now? Since you are changing the cover, why not just dremel the entire head off, remove the cover, and try a set of vice grips, and some heat?

EDIT: BTW, I can relate a bit with your problem. Once when changing the fluid on a standard pick up, I drained the fluid for the transmission, and then could not get the fill plug out. I felt like such an idiot. Needless to say, I make sure all bolts can be removed, before draining anything. LOL, Just think, if you had a '06 or older, you could have just filled it through the chain inspection plate. LOL, Sorry, not funny for you, but I would keep trying to remove the bolt, before I returned to the dealer. Also, did the fluid look like it had been changed? I would talk to the dealer, with receipt in hand. Ask if they changed the fluid when I had the service done. If they answer yes, then I would have them pay to fix the problem, since it would have been the tech that did the work that caused the problem. If they say no, then they are in a worse situation, since they charged you for it, and did not do the work.IMO

Old 08-08-2007, 06:35 AM
Chicago Spike
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: choochoo

first were you using a T27 tork bit? the correct size.
Second somebody may have over tightened it or may have used loc-tite
or even cross threaded it going in (the stealer, uuhhh I mean dealer).
If it was just over tightened or it just got the hot cold hot cold set, then a sharp rap with hammer will normally break the set loose.
Use the correct tork bit add an appropriate length extension to it.
Works really well with a screwdriver type handle. Hit the end with a hammer and twist to unscrew at same time.
Or you could use an impact driver (works the same way).
Yes, I purchased a set of Snap-On torx sockets and a bit set just for this bike. And yes, I used and twisted both t27 torx bits trying to get that out. The other 4 had no locktite on the threads when I removed them. Clean as a whistle. Also tried my handheld impact driver on it, no luck.

Old 08-08-2007, 06:39 AM
Chicago Spike
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: PapaTravis

I had read about this issue before changing out my derby cover. Luckily, mine came off with little effort. Did you try heating the screw? Or is it to far gone now? Since you are changing the cover, why not just dremel the entire head off, remove the cover, and try a set of vice grips, and some heat?

EDIT: BTW, I can relate a bit with your problem. Once when changing the fluid on a standard pick up, I drained the fluid for the transmission, and then could not get the fill plug out. I felt like such an idiot. Needless to say, I make sure all bolts can be removed, before draining anything. LOL, Just think, if you had a '06 or older, you could have just filled it through the chain inspection plate. LOL, Sorry, not funny for you, but I would keep trying to remove the bolt, before I returned to the dealer. Also, did the fluid look like it had been changed? I would talk to the dealer, with receipt in hand. Ask if they changed the fluid when I had the service done. If they answer yes, then I would have them pay to fix the problem, since it would have been the tech that did the work that caused the problem. If they say no, then they are in a worse situation, since they charged you for it, and did not do the work.IMO
It's funny now that it's over, but while I was trying to get that screw out, I was ticked to say the least.
The dealer came and got my bike Monday morning and I am going to pick it up today. I did try heating the screw as well

Old 08-08-2007, 08:06 AM
acedantinne
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Next time try this it really works.
Take a small sharp pin style punch and a small hammer. Hit the head of the screw on the side. As you were taking the screw out. Works all the time.

Quick Reply: Bolt frozen in Primary/Derby cover