Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2020 Street Glide battery keeps dying - high temps/weather the issue?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2021, 11:51 PM
jamesmbond7
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2020 Street Glide battery keeps dying - high temps/weather the issue?

Less than a year old Street Glide and now battery doesn’t even make it a week sitting- not enough juice to start but lights/etc working. So battery is draining all the sudden in just 4-5 days.

I am in Las Vegas and temps this month are 110+ so is this normal for battery to keep dying while sitting for a few days? Didn’t happen on my last H-D touring bike.

Old 07-12-2021, 08:07 AM
pgreer
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,650 Likes on 1,059 Posts

No, that's not normal. There may be a small electrical drain on the battery. There will be some parasitic draw but it should be less than 10 mA, some from the radio and the alarm. Have there been any add on electrical components added to the bike?

You need to fully charge the battery and then load test it. If it checks ok, then check the charging system to ensure the battery is being fully charged while riding. If all that checks ok then it's time to start looking for a drain.

Paul

The following users liked this post:
OkieBill (07-12-2021)
Old 07-12-2021, 08:18 AM
Redlegvzv
Stellar HDF Member
Received 691 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by pgreer
No, that's not normal. There may be a small electrical drain on the battery. There will be some parasitic draw but it should be less than 10 mA, some from the radio and the alarm. Have there been any add on electrical components added to the bike?

You need to fully charge the battery and then load test it. If it checks ok, then check the charging system to ensure the battery is being fully charged while riding. If all that checks ok then it's time to start looking for a drain.

Paul
I agree. That is not normal.

Old 07-12-2021, 09:20 AM
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 5,813 Likes on 2,379 Posts

Heat kills batteries. My garage regularly hits 125* + this time of year. I pulled my 2.5 year old battery yesterday and the voltage checked in a 12.4, which is around 50% for an AGM battery. It tested "good", but I have a 4k mile trip coming up so I installed a new one just to make sure I do what I can to prevent a battery problem on this trip. The new battery checked in at 13.04 out of the box. BTW, it's a made in USA Duracell. No idea how good they are, but I guess I'll find out.

Old 07-12-2021, 09:37 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 861 Likes on 651 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesmbond7
Less than a year old Street Glide and now battery doesn’t even make it a week sitting- not enough juice to start but lights/etc working. So battery is draining all the sudden in just 4-5 days.

I am in Las Vegas and temps this month are 110+ so is this normal for battery to keep dying while sitting for a few days? Didn’t happen on my last H-D touring bike.
It is rather difficult to take a guess with limited information.
For example:
Is motorcycle stock or has the motorcycle had major motor work? A high performance/high compression upgrade can make starting difficult.
How old is the battery in the bike? Most folks would take a guess that battery is the original but who knows.
Has the battery been removed from the bike and been taken to an autoparts or batteries plus bulb store store for a load testing? (many shops offer that service for free)
Do you like to play radio with motor off?
No, It is not normal for a battery to discharge in such few days but it could be the battery, a loose cable or perhaps someone connected an electrical item directly to the battery that is causing a drain.
Have you done any diagnostics?

Old 07-12-2021, 10:00 AM
speedkills66
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Where I am is hot this time of year (maybe not Las Vegas hot) but we're between 100 and 110 just about every day this time of year, and I haven't noticed any drain or loss of power from the battery in my RGS. I have more issues in the winter when it will get weaker and slower to start and use a tender all winter, but rarely use my tender during the summer.

Old 07-12-2021, 10:25 AM
woodthumb2
Tourer
Received 76 Likes on 55 Posts

put a meter on your battery... or just connect to your tender pigtails behind your saddle bag... should be one there... if bike is charging around 13.5 to 14.0 volts when u rev to 2000 or so , my bet is battery is bad or severely weak... happens... very doubtful u have a "parasitic draw " that would do what you are saying

Old 07-12-2021, 11:50 AM
journeyman
Road Master
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Considering the age of the bike and battery - a 'Warranty' comes to mind.

Old 07-12-2021, 01:33 PM
pgreer
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,650 Likes on 1,059 Posts

Originally Posted by 702
Heat kills batteries. My garage regularly hits 125* + this time of year. I pulled my 2.5 year old battery yesterday and the voltage checked in a 12.4, which is around 50% for an AGM battery. It tested "good", but I have a 4k mile trip coming up so I installed a new one just to make sure I do what I can to prevent a battery problem on this trip. The new battery checked in at 13.04 out of the box. BTW, it's a made in USA Duracell. No idea how good they are, but I guess I'll find out.
I've run the Duracel batteries in my RG's for several years and they have performed well. I like the 2 year free replacement warranty, and there are lots of Batteries Plus around if I run into a problem on the road.

Paul

Old 07-12-2021, 03:29 PM
PhilGlide
Cruiser
Received 73 Likes on 47 Posts

Not normal. I leave mine in a garage with no electricity (so no tender). I ride once a week. It never needs more than 1/2 hour on tender to get to full charge after a week sitting. I'd say check that the battery wiring is tight, and keep an eye on the volt meter when running to ensure you're getting enough charge voltage. Otherwise sounds like a job for the dealership (if under warranty).