Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Glide Inner Fairing Trim....This Cant Be Right?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2021, 02:48 PM
CSS_FXD
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Road Glide Inner Fairing Trim....This Cant Be Right?

Guys I am at my wits end with the inner fairing trim on my 2010 RG Custom. When I got the bike the a few years back the guy before me appears to have a hodge podge of stock trim and auto door edge trim going on. Now looking at the Harley parts break down it seems there is 3 pieces. 2 sides and a top piece. But following his old stuff when I just put all new door edge on I ran both sides up to the top corner where it meets the single center piece. I am thinking this might be wrong and I should have stopped at the odd ugly cut corner by the speaker and ran no trim on the top two upper edges right? This is what might be causing the alignment issues of the 2 outer edge fairings having a over hang gap seen in the picks. Sorry for the long winded story by I am loosing my mind and just want my fairings to line up how they are supposed to.

Old 06-23-2021, 03:23 PM
CSS_FXD
Road Warrior

Nope not right. Found another thread with pics. There is no inner trim pieces at the 10 and 2 spots from the factory. Looks like I will get to loosen it all back up and cut the section out and then hope it all lines back up like it should if not oh well. The side tabs are also in line all three made sure of that. Harley was not too concerned of keeping water out were they?

Old 06-23-2021, 08:25 PM
09 YELLOWBIRD
Grand HDF Member
Received 865 Likes on 542 Posts

I too used door trim on mine.

I let mine sit in the sun before putting on the fairing. It fits great and look better than stock, and cheaper.

YB

Old 06-23-2021, 09:33 PM
eaglefan1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,227 Likes on 810 Posts

I agree, 10-2 is not supposed to be there. There is definitely some tricks to putting the fairing back on in a timely manner. Its a PIA no matter what. A few weeks ago I traded in my 09. I had 2 amps,1 was a big amp, and a DSP inside the fairing. The easiest way for me to do it was to have the headlight out while installing, easier to lock it in on the hooks.Then work the side tabs.
Had a buddy that would hook up the headlight, grab the sides and just lock it in on 1 shot. Still dont know how he did it that quick and I sat there and watched it.

The following users liked this post:
CSS_FXD (06-23-2021)
Old 06-24-2021, 03:40 AM
CSS_FXD
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by eaglefan1
I agree, 10-2 is not supposed to be there. There is definitely some tricks to putting the fairing back on in a timely manner. Its a PIA no matter what. A few weeks ago I traded in my 09. I had 2 amps,1 was a big amp, and a DSP inside the fairing. The easiest way for me to do it was to have the headlight out while installing, easier to lock it in on the hooks.Then work the side tabs.
Had a buddy that would hook up the headlight, grab the sides and just lock it in on 1 shot. Still dont know how he did it that quick and I sat there and watched it.
Sounds good. Next time I have a day off I will pop the windshield off and loosen the fairing up and cut the section of 10 and 2 out of there and it should sit better. Its not bad now just not right.

Old 06-29-2021, 10:26 AM
CSS_FXD
Road Warrior

Took the trim out at 10 and 2 spots. Now have gaps there instead of trim. Also there is a gap in middle. I give up. Guess I'll order the real HD trim and bot use door edge from auto zone. There is no way these gaps are right as water will pour in when washing the bike. So sick of this RG fairing BS.

Old 06-29-2021, 10:53 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,376 Likes on 2,547 Posts

there is a fin at the top of the inner fairing. in your case it isn't lined up properly, and is pushing it down causing that gap.

been there, done that. the new rushmore fairing is a treat to remove/install compared to the earlier ones.

The following users liked this post:
CSS_FXD (06-29-2021)
Old 06-29-2021, 11:19 AM
CSS_FXD
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by skratch
there is a fin at the top of the inner fairing. in your case it isn't lined up properly, and is pushing it down causing that gap.

been there, done that. the new rushmore fairing is a treat to remove/install compared to the earlier ones.
Would that also cause the two big 10 and 2 side gaps? I looked at the top could not see really any tabs or fins to line up. Looks like I'll be taking it all off to have a closer look. The side fin tabs are all lined up perfect. I think the door edge trim I used is just too thick and is causing the big side gaps.

Old 06-29-2021, 12:18 PM
CSS_FXD
Road Warrior

Just took my fairing apart. No fin on my inner top of faring at all. It all smooth inside. I did however move some big wiring around some and re zip tied it. Also took my head lights out. Its alot easier to confirm the fairing is hooked on. Will re install and report.

Old 06-29-2021, 12:41 PM
CSS_FXD
Road Warrior

Still gaps top and top sides. I will get OEM trim soon and hopefully this will solve the gap issues. The door edge is too wide I think that and maybe too long up top. Oem trim will solve it.

Quick Reply: Road Glide Inner Fairing Trim....This Cant Be Right?