Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Glide Inner Fairing Trim....This Cant Be Right?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2021, 03:59 PM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 1,226 Likes on 550 Posts

Depending on your shield selection and if it has a gasket or not, the corner is covered a little.

I’m running a HD Windsplitter from the CVO RG. Comes with a nice rubber gasket.

Pardon the filth on my bike - it needs a bath due to all the pine pollen lately.

Last edited by Redbeard719; 06-30-2021 at 04:07 PM.
Old 06-30-2021, 04:20 PM
CSS_FXD
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks good! I am running a HD shield not sure the model it was on the bike when I got it. I ditched the stock rubber trim for a nice door edge trim looks way better. What are you using for inner faring trim and how did you get the gap to close nice?

Old 06-30-2021, 10:01 PM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 1,226 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by CSS_FXD;[url=tel:20026344
20026344[/url]]Looks good! I am running a HD shield not sure the model it was on the bike when I got it. I ditched the stock rubber trim for a nice door edge trim looks way better. What are you using for inner faring trim and how did you get the gap to close nice?
I have the OEM trim. I’ve only had the fairing off a couple times since I did my SG to RG conversion.m, and the trim hasn’t ever been replaced.

I do have the gap on the top behind the shied too. The gasket behind my shield covers it, and long ago I gave up trying to get it to fit any better. As long as my side gaps are nice and tight, I’m happy.

The old Road Glide fairing is really not a great fit. 2015+ is much better, but that’s neither here nor there.

The following users liked this post:
CSS_FXD (07-01-2021)
Old 07-01-2021, 04:43 AM
CSS_FXD
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Redbeard719
I have the OEM trim. I’ve only had the fairing off a couple times since I did my SG to RG conversion.m, and the trim hasn’t ever been replaced.

I do have the gap on the top behind the shied too. The gasket behind my shield covers it, and long ago I gave up trying to get it to fit any better. As long as my side gaps are nice and tight, I’m happy.

The old Road Glide fairing is really not a great fit. 2015+ is much better, but that’s neither here nor there.
Sounds good thanks for the info. Yeah the center top gap concerns me with water getting in there while washing the bike. I'll have one more go at it when the oem trim shows up and if I can't get it well so be it then like you say. Thanks again for the info it helps knowing I am not the only one with this issue.

Old 07-08-2021, 08:29 AM
CSS_FXD
Road Warrior

Update. Well not a good one. Got all stock trim edging on last night. Took the outer fairing off all the way again and wow just wow. The fit is almost the same if not worse. The gap at 10 and 2 where there is no trim is still there about a 1/16 of an inch maybe smaller so water will pour in there while washing the bike cool. And the ugly sides right above the speakers have a nice hole there. You can see the throttle side the inner sits higher then the outer and has a good gap. The clutch side is slightly better. No way is this "normal" and if it is shame on HD. The 3 fins on each side are installed right. The front radio hooks are on and I tried all sorts of loosening and moving the blinkers where it mounts on the crash bar. Ready to give up and just run it.

Old 07-08-2021, 06:58 PM
09 YELLOWBIRD
Grand HDF Member
Received 865 Likes on 542 Posts

By chance does your bike have aftermarket speakers, amps, etc?

I have a amp, 6 1/2" speakers and adapters and way more tighter than what your shows.

Just thinking out loud.

YB

Old 07-08-2021, 09:23 PM
CSS_FXD
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by 09 YELLOWBIRD

I have a amp, 6 1/2" speakers and adapters and way more tighter than what your shows.

Just thinking out loud.

YB

Speakers are stock and no amp. Do have a Sony stereo. Loosened up everything the 4 nuts holding the inner on the blinker mounts on the crash bar and had the outer off and back on to test fit loose. After 2 long days it finally fits much better. Man I love this RG but stuff like this sure makes me miss my SG. That fairing is a cake walk to remove and actually fits together nice.

Old 07-09-2021, 06:44 AM
09 YELLOWBIRD
Grand HDF Member
Received 865 Likes on 542 Posts

Good to hear. Yeah, I truly believe that's part of the reason for the new design on the RG.

Easy to take off... It's nothing but a pain in the azz to put back on!

Than again worth every bit once your on the concrete highway.

YB

Old 07-09-2021, 07:41 AM
eaglefan1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,227 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by 09 YELLOWBIRD

Just thinking out loud.

YB
I thought the same thing post #13

The are truly a PIA to put back on. It gets much easier after you have done it many times though. One of the great things about the DSP I had in the fairing was beong about to adjust the audio without removing the fairing. I ran the DSP/computer wire into the glove box.