Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No spark after replacing crank position sensor

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2021 | 07:08 PM
duker1111
|
6th Gear
Default No spark after replacing crank position sensor

We bought an '07 Road Glide out of a salvage auction as a 'project bike' and my eyes are already crossing. I couldn't get spark to the rear cylinder. No error codes at all. Replaced the coil, plugs and plug wires (don't get me started on that decision) but no change. After I replaced the crank position sensor, I couldn't get a regular spark on the front cylinder anymore. It now only sparks a single time - when I RELEASE the start button. Verified the ECM/TSSM are good by swapping them on my '07 Ultra. Ultra still ran fine and the spark crap on the Road Glide didn't change.

I'm running out of ideas.

Old 06-21-2021 | 07:14 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Good voltage from battery? Cables clean and tight?

Old 06-21-2021 | 07:17 PM
MURPHCC1
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Well first thing to tell ya (so I heard) the ECM has to see compression for the plug to fire, testing the plug OUTSIDE of the engine and grounding it to the frame wont show spark as it doesn't sense the compression. (ION sensing ignition?)
Get an INLINE tester is I believe the way to go on that.

Are you getting fuel?

Old 06-21-2021 | 07:36 PM
duker1111
|
6th Gear

Tried two different batteries and did make sure the connections were solid.

Old 06-21-2021 | 07:47 PM
duker1111
|
6th Gear

Originally Posted by MURPHCC1
Well first thing to tell ya (so I heard) the ECM has to see compression for the plug to fire, testing the plug OUTSIDE of the engine and grounding it to the frame wont show spark as it doesn't sense the compression. (ION sensing ignition?)
Get an INLINE tester is I believe the way to go on that.

Are you getting fuel?
Didn't test the exact amount of compression but yes - felt for compression when I tested each side of the coil. Tested for spark visually by grounding the plug on the motor.

No fuel because I took the tank off to change the coil. Didn't make any sense to put it back on till I had spark.

The following users liked this post:
HarleyTCL (08-07-2021)
Old 06-21-2021 | 08:06 PM
MURPHCC1
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by duker1111
Didn't test the exact amount of compression but yes - felt for compression when I tested each side of the coil. Tested for spark visually by grounding the plug on the motor.

No fuel because I took the tank off to change the coil. Didn't make any sense to put it back on till I had spark.
You didn't understand what I said.........checking for spark OUTSIDE the engine doesn't work!!!! Get an inline tester to check spark.

And checking compression with your finger in the hole doesn't count, the ECM has to SENSE compression through the plugs and plug wires.

Old 06-21-2021 | 09:01 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member

On older models, the ECM senses combustion thorough the spark plug/wires which is called Ion Sense.

Spark plugs will spark all day outside the cylinder on these engines.

The following 2 users liked this post by lp:
MTBIG G (06-25-2021), ratpick (06-21-2021)
Old 06-21-2021 | 09:25 PM
Dseago1969
Road Master

Have you checked the grounding strap? Funny thing about rubber motor mounts is they don’t ground so well.

Old 06-21-2021 | 11:04 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by duker1111
We bought an '07 Road Glide out of a salvage auction as a 'project bike' and my eyes are already crossing. I couldn't get spark to the rear cylinder. No error codes at all. Replaced the coil, plugs and plug wires (don't get me started on that decision) but no change. After I replaced the crank position sensor, I couldn't get a regular spark on the front cylinder anymore. It now only sparks a single time - when I RELEASE the start button. Verified the ECM/TSSM are good by swapping them on my '07 Ultra. Ultra still ran fine and the spark crap on the Road Glide didn't change.

I'm running out of ideas.

If I am understanding you correctly, the spark condition changed after you replaced the crank position sensor.....? If true, obviously something you touched during the CPS replacement, caused the spark condition to change...

I would concentrate there first...

Maybe verify you have a good CPS, not often, but sometimes parts are bad right out of the box...

Then follow the CPS wires to see if there are any pinched/broken/bare spots along the CPS wire circuit.

Finally, I would inspect anyhting electrical you had to touch, bump, or move while removing the old & installing the new CPS...

I hate electrical problems, but I usually manage to suck it up and get through them... Be methodical and persistent... you'll find the issue...

Good luck with the diagnosis...

Last edited by hattitude; 06-21-2021 at 11:08 PM.
Old 06-22-2021 | 11:18 AM
btsom
Grand HDF Member

If your machine is wired like my 08 road King, the CPS wire runs under and across the frame in the vicinity of the front engine mount. There is a plug there that gets oil soaked from sloppy oil filter changes. Try separating the plug, thoroughly clean both sides and reconnect. If that doesn't fix it, at least you are no worse off.

The following users liked this post:
duker1111 (06-22-2021)

Quick Reply: No spark after replacing crank position sensor