Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No spark after replacing crank position sensor

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2021 | 11:49 AM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Supporter

For the OP if your Roadie is so equipped, swap the ignition relay and system relay (same relay) and check for spark. Forgot you don't have the gas tank on nor connected for fuel or electronically. Wonder if the ECM has to "see" an active fuel system?

The following users liked this post:
duker1111 (06-22-2021)
Old 06-25-2021 | 08:29 AM
duker1111
|
6th Gear
Default Seating Crank Position Sensor

Update: No matter how many times I removed and replaced the crank position sensor, it wasn't seated fully until I tapped it (ever so gently) with a mallet. Suddenly, spark on both sides. Sheesh!

Thanks for all of the tips. I'll have lots more to ask before I'm done. Next stop - rebuilding the fuel pump.

Originally Posted by duker1111
We bought an '07 Road Glide out of a salvage auction as a 'project bike' and my eyes are already crossing. I couldn't get spark to the rear cylinder. No error codes at all. Replaced the coil, plugs and plug wires (don't get me started on that decision) but no change. After I replaced the crank position sensor, I couldn't get a regular spark on the front cylinder anymore. It now only sparks a single time - when I RELEASE the start button. Verified the ECM/TSSM are good by swapping them on my '07 Ultra. Ultra still ran fine and the spark crap on the Road Glide didn't change.

I'm running out of ideas.

The following 5 users liked this post by duker1111:
Bandit. (06-25-2021), hattitude (06-25-2021), lp (06-25-2021), MTBIG G (06-25-2021), seniorsuperglideE8 (06-26-2021)
Old 06-25-2021 | 09:40 AM
larsfum
Stellar HDF Member

Not familiar with your model, but on the older bikes you have to swap the old pins to the new pins in the connector. When you replaced the CPS did you have to remove the pins from the old sensor and put the new pins in the connector? Did you put them in the correct position?

Old 06-25-2021 | 11:06 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by MURPHCC1
You didn't understand what I said.........checking for spark OUTSIDE the engine doesn't work!!!! Get an inline tester to check spark.

And checking compression with your finger in the hole doesn't count, the ECM has to SENSE compression through the plugs and plug wires.
Just an fyi on how the system phases. The CKP is used to detect the slowdown of the flywheel on the compression stroke. There are two compression strokes (front and rear), so it also needs to know which cylinder is which. There is a missing tooth on the flywheel that tells the ECM which cylinder is coming up. This is how it knows phase and when to fire injectors and coil without a cam position sensor. This is why they won't spark with plugs out or when people have easy start cams AND compression releases. This is all input from CKP prior to starting. These are single fire systems. Dual fire (aka wasted spark) simply throw a spark each time the cylinder is approaching TDC. One will be used to ignite, the other is "wasted" because it's occurring on an exhaust stroke.

The ION sense is used when the engine is running and detects combustion quality using the plugs/wires/coil.