Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'08 ABS - to buy or not to buy????

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 09:36 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Default '08 ABS - to buy or not to buy????

I'm thinking about an '08 Ultra and initially for sure wanted ABS. My dealer has an Anniversary Duracell colored one with ABS standard and , the color I want, a Candy Red Sunglo but without ABS. I can order one with ABS but would have to wait until October for delivery. I can't decide if the ABS is worth either compromising on my color choice and buying the Anniversary one or Buy the color I want, but do without the ABS.

Do any of you guys have the ABS yet?

Thanks for help with my dilemma,
Jim

Old 08-04-2007, 09:42 PM
Cycleman6
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: '08 ABS - to buy or not to buy????

I wanted to do ABS for my 08 that is supposed to be in next week. (Black) I'm selling/trading in my 06 SE V-Rod. The bike coming in doesn't have ABS, and I don't want to wait till it's available. The other reason I decided not to do ABS was to wait till next model year or next time I upgrade to another bike to get ABS once it's been out for a while on these bikes. I know the technology isn't new to HD, but still think it might be better next year after it's been out a year.

Old 08-04-2007, 09:46 PM
pkenyon1
Road Captain

Would you buy a car without ABS? I wouldnt.

Also think about the resale values, if ABS is / becomes popular your bike without it will be harder to move on when you switch again.

I just ordered a Street Glide and chose ABS...have a look at the HD website if you havent already, there is a good video on ABS.

Old 08-04-2007, 09:50 PM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ABS.... YES!!! Other M\C have had it for YEARS on there Touring Bikes....

Old 08-04-2007, 10:08 PM
Puttnutt24
Road Warrior
Received 211 Likes on 118 Posts

I don't know, tell me if I'm wrong, but the way I see it, if you plan on doing any riding in the rain, ABS is the only way to go. But if your a fair weather rider (as I am) I don't think it is that important. Fire away!... Rich

Old 08-04-2007, 11:53 PM
Longsnowsm
Advanced

If you have watched other bikes that have started offering an ABS option you will notice the same bikes without ABS resale values have dropped dramatically. So I think those that don't opt for ABS will wish they had when it comes time to sell or trade. Just an observation from watching other bikes offer ABS.

Personally ABS, 6 speed trans, and the larger tank are the compelling reasons for me to look at the 08's. I know ABS is that big of a deal to me. Also reports are coming in that the new Brembo brakes flat out stop these bikes. Those are good enough reasons for me to consider a new HD. So if I were you I would be talking to your dealer about getting a bike with what you want.

Longsnowsm

Old 08-04-2007, 11:59 PM
rde
Road Captain

Absolutely! Hopefully you'll never need ABS but the one time you need it might save your life.I've thought about it alot and plan to order my08 Road King with ABS. In the longrun$750 is worth it. I'll just wait for my bike even if it takes a few months.

Old 08-05-2007, 12:04 AM
capt775
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I sold my 02 Wing to get my Ultra, every call I got wanted to know if it had ABS which was a option in 02. It did, and every reaction was "oh, good".

Personally, I didn't see the big deal about it. I still rode it in the wet just like it didn't have it so I don't know if it worked or not. But it sure helps at selling time.

Old 08-05-2007, 02:59 AM
pkenyon1
Road Captain

I'm not a technical guy but I think some of these posts have got it all wrong...

ABS does not help with riding in the rain, sidewards rear wheel drift through taking a corner too fast in the wet will not be helped by ABS

ABS stops the wheel locking up under hard braking...nothing more nothing less.

Clearly locking a wheel in the wet is really bad news, so to that extent water does have effect..however locking a wheel WET OR DRY is bad news.

Go for ABS and dont worry about locking your wheels by braking too hard, so that will mean you can stop more quickly and more straight!

Take a corner too fast in the wrong conditions and ABS isnt going to help you.

If I have got it all wrong please let me know.

Old 08-05-2007, 03:28 AM
raporte
Outstanding HDF Member

Once you have ABS you'll never be without it. Watch the video HD has on their bikes. Been on Police units for a while.

Quick Reply: '08 ABS - to buy or not to buy????