Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gear Indicator

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2021 | 06:46 AM
leftyjm
|
Road Warrior
Veteran: Air Force
Default Gear Indicator

I have a 2017 SGS and I need help trying to figure out why my gear indicator jumps around when down shifting or up shifting.
Thanks

Old 06-16-2021 | 06:51 AM
mazz
Road Master

the gear indicator on my 2017 acts similarly when down shifting and when the clutch is in it does not register . i dont think you have an issue

The following users liked this post:
leftyjm (06-16-2021)
Old 06-16-2021 | 07:16 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

the indicated gear on your speedo is calculated by the ecm based on the rpms and speed. i have a parking lot that exits very close to an intersection where i work. when i leave the parking lot, i'll accelerate, but rarely make it out of 1st gear, let alone 2nd. but because i'm moving at x miles per hour, and i've pulled the clutch in so the rpms are low, it will show that i'm in 3rd gear, briefly, before it goes blank (when pulling in the clutch, it does not show, that's normal)

unless your display is just bouncing around while you're traveling down the road, like mazz says, don't think you have an issue.

The following 3 users liked this post by skratch:
havinabubble (06-17-2021), leftyjm (06-16-2021), ratpick (06-16-2021)
Old 06-16-2021 | 02:41 PM
FunHuman
Road Captain

Sorry moving off topic but...
I was wondering the other day while sitting at a light "did I downshift to 1st?" I stay in gear and cover the rear brake as they say.
Though I guess I understand why when the clutch is pulled in, the gear indicator goes blank. Is there anyway to override this?
In fact when you power on the bike, why doesn't the current gear display, neutral does?

Old 06-16-2021 | 03:34 PM
TattoodCaptain
Road Warrior

I had no idea there was gear indicators now 🤔

Old 06-16-2021 | 03:52 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by FunHuman
I was wondering the other day while sitting at a light "did I downshift to 1st?" I stay in gear and cover the rear brake as they say.
Though I guess I understand why when the clutch is pulled in, the gear indicator goes blank. Is there anyway to override this?
In fact when you power on the bike, why doesn't the current gear display, neutral does?
The gear indicator displayed is a computed value, As a ratio of RPM to MPH. Since when the clutch is pulled in, the RPMs can be any value…without a cooresponding change in RPM, the gear number can not be determined. Same as when in neutral. So, no you can’t over ride it.

Old 06-16-2021 | 09:48 PM
FunHuman
Road Captain

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
The gear indicator displayed is a computed value, As a ratio of RPM to MPH. Since when the clutch is pulled in, the RPMs can be any value…without a cooresponding change in RPM, the gear number can not be determined. Same as when in neutral. So, no you can’t over ride it.
Makes total sense. Thanks

Old 06-17-2021 | 05:34 AM
EdwardK
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by FunHuman
To add to Trigeezers great explanation, neutral is determined by a physical switch. It's not calculated and separate from the gear indicator. That's why it works immediately when you turn on the ignition.

Old 06-17-2021 | 06:48 AM
leftyjm
|
Road Warrior
Veteran: Air Force

Thanks to all for all the great info.

Old 06-17-2021 | 07:44 AM
Smokin’ pipes
Tourer

Originally Posted by skratch
the indicated gear on your speedo is calculated by the ecm based on the rpms and speed. i have a parking lot that exits very close to an intersection where i work. when i leave the parking lot, i'll accelerate, but rarely make it out of 1st gear, let alone 2nd. but because i'm moving at x miles per hour, and i've pulled the clutch in so the rpms are low, it will show that i'm in 3rd gear, briefly, before it goes blank (when pulling in the clutch, it does not show, that's normal)

unless your display is just bouncing around while you're traveling down the road, like mazz says, don't think you have an issue.
^^^^^same