Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magic Strobes install causing check engine light to come on

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2021, 08:57 PM
c_l_phillips72
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Magic Strobes install causing check engine light to come on

As is always the case, if there’s one way to screw something up and endless ways not to, I’ll find the one way.

I just bought a ‘21 Road Glide and Harley’s new LED brake/turn signals along with Custom Dynamic’s Magic Strobes. Links to both are below.

I got everything installed and went on a short ride and my check engine light came on. Luckily I was just a couple miles from home so I shot back and uninstalled the Magic Strobes.

After uninstalling I let the bike run for a minute hoping the check engine light would go off, but it didn’t until I turned it off and started it up a few minutes later. I’m happy the light is no longer on but I’m not sure what I did wrong in the install.

During install, I first removed the 50 amp main fuse, disconnected the negative battery terminal, and then hooked up the Magic Strobes plug to where it would fit. I reconnected the negative battery terminal, put the fuse back in, and confirmed my rear brake/turn signal lights were strobing as expected. Everything looked like I didn’t screw anything up, until I took it for a test ride.

I’m including a pic of where I attached the Magic Strobes plug. I’m guessing my lights wouldn’t have worked at all had I connected to the wrong plugs on my bike, so I don’t think I messed that part up, but who knows?

The directions made me believe, for a Road Glide, that I should use the Black connector that’s circled, but that connector didn’t fit the connector on the Magic Strobes so I used the one I’m pointing at instead.

Any ideas?

https://www.customdynamics.com/magic-strobes-brake-light-turn-signal-flasher-for-harley-davidson-touring

https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/en/shop/Rear-Signature-LED-Turn-Signal-Inserts/p/67801329

Last edited by c_l_phillips72; 06-03-2021 at 11:27 PM.
Old 06-03-2021, 09:33 PM
NODYNA
Road Warrior
Received 872 Likes on 515 Posts

It may be as simple as running your 4 way flashers for 10 minutes so the ecm can adjust to the lower resin of the leds. To be sure pull the codes then check fuel moto's site for what the codes relate to.

The following users liked this post:
c_l_phillips72 (06-03-2021)
Old 06-03-2021, 09:41 PM
FunHuman
Road Captain
Received 267 Likes on 158 Posts

This just happened to me yesterday. I installed the "magic strobe" and LED tail light. IT WAS THE BATTERY DISCONNECT. Low voltage causes an error code. I disconnected the negative battery terminal. If you hold down the trip reset (the big button on the back of the left hand control, behind traction control button) that will show you codes on the dash. Mine were ecm and dcm. after the third restart and short ride the engine light went off.

I also tried this before the 3rd ride so it was either trying this ignition sequence or just the bike resetting itself.

How do you reset the ECM?
  1. turn big switch off & on 5 times with in 10 seconds.
  2. With the "kill switch" on the handlebars set to the run position turn the big ignition switch to the run position for 10 seconds and then turn it off and count for another 10 seconds.
  3. turn big switch 4 times within 10 seconds all the way to accessory.

Last edited by FunHuman; 06-03-2021 at 09:46 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by FunHuman:
Casinger (05-27-2022), c_l_phillips72 (06-03-2021)
Old 06-03-2021, 09:44 PM
c_l_phillips72
Advanced

Originally Posted by NODYNA
It may be as simple as running your 4 way flashers for 10 minutes so the ecm can adjust to the lower resin of the leds. To be sure pull the codes then check fuel moto's site for what the codes relate to.
Thanks for the reply.

I actually did that completely unintentionally. I installed the LED lights over lunch and ran out of time to install the Magic Strobes. For about 30 minutes I had my flashers running while I was inside, until my son asked why I left them on.

After work I installed the Magic Strobes. When I took off on my test ride, the check engine light wasn’t on. I stopped for fuel, filled up, took off, and quickly the check engine light came on.

I don’t think it was a fuel issue because after I removed the Magic strobes the light ended up turning off.

Old 06-03-2021, 09:55 PM
c_l_phillips72
Advanced

Originally Posted by FunHuman
This just happened to me yesterday. I installed the "magic strobe" and LED tail light. IT WAS THE BATTERY DISCONNECT. Low voltage causes an error code. I disconnected the negative battery terminal. If you hold down the trip reset (the big button on the back of the left hand control, behind traction control button) that will show you codes on the dash. Mine were ecm and dcm. after the third restart and short ride the engine light went off.

I also tried this before the 3rd ride so it was either trying this ignition sequence or just the bike resetting itself.

How do you reset the ECM?
  1. turn big switch off & on 5 times with in 10 seconds.
  2. With the "kill switch" on the handlebars set to the run position turn the big ignition switch to the run position for 10 seconds and then turn it off and count for another 10 seconds.
  3. turn big switch 4 times within 10 seconds all the way to accessory.
Thanks for your reply.

Did you install your Magic strobes to the same connector as me? I’m a little concerned about where I installed it because the directions had a picture of where they were saying to install it on the bike, and I tried those connectors but they didn’t fit the connectors on the Magic strobe. Either I got the wrong part, or for some reason I have to use plugs in a location different from what the directions showed.

The directions pic had 2 connectors that were side by side, parallel to the side of the bike. One connector was like a gray or beige color and the other one was black. You can see both of those in the pic I uploaded. I didn’t use either of those 2 connectors. The directions made me believe I should use the black one, but as I said the connectors didn’t fit.

So I used the connector at the back end (rear tire). That’s the one I’m pointing to in the pic.

Old 06-03-2021, 10:29 PM
FunHuman
Road Captain

I had the same issue, the picture was inaccurate. Let me just add I also installed Ciro filler lights, which added a lead from each new tail light that plugged into a junction box they provide which goes from the wiring harness to the tail light and their filler lights (turn signals and running lights). I also have a tour pack with lights. The tour pack has and obvious connector.
Looking at you photo is exactly what I had just connect the magic box inline from the harness to the tail and turn signal lights.
This video helped. There is one of a CVO . I am looking for it.

Old 06-03-2021, 11:18 PM
c_l_phillips72
Advanced

I had the same issue, the picture was inaccurate. Let me just add I also installed Ciro filler lights, which added a lead from each new tail light that plugged into a junction box they provide which goes from the wiring harness to the tail light and their filler lights (turn signals and running lights). I also have a tour pack with lights. The tour pack has and obvious connector.
Looking at you photo is exactly what I had just connect the magic box inline from the harness to the tail and turn signal lights.
This video helped. There is one of a CVO . I am looking for it.

(3) Custom Dynamics Magic Strobe - YouTube
Thanks again for your detailed response.

I watched that exact video before installing, and since the directions seemed to be wrong I took a chance made the same connections as the guy in that video. With his bike being an Ultra I wasn’t completely sure if it was the right move, but everything was working until the engine light came on!

It sounds like your issue was resolved either by resetting the ECM, or it just took a few times of cycling power, correct? If so, I’ll reinstall tomorrow and try those things and see what happens.

Old 06-03-2021, 11:27 PM
FunHuman
Road Captain

Hi again my only issue was getting the magic box ahead (it comes first in the chain) of the tail/brake lights and the tour pack. It took a couple of tries to getting them in sync all in the same light pattern. Minus a tour pack it is pretty obvious. If yours was working and you just had and engine light as I did. As I mentioned it resolved itself with restarts or that switch pattern within 15 minutes. Trust me my heart sank.

Old 06-03-2021, 11:33 PM
c_l_phillips72
Advanced

Hi again my only issue was getting the magic box ahead (it comes first in the chain) of the tail/brake lights and the tour pack. It took a couple of tries to getting them in sync all in the same light pattern. Minus a tour pack it is pretty obvious. If yours was working and you just had and engine light as I did. As I mentioned it resolved itself with restarts or that switch pattern within 15 minutes. Trust me my heart sank.
Good to know about how to install these with a Tour pack. That’s on my list for near future upgrades. I’ll most likely be coming back to this thread when the time comes to install everything, and maybe ask you more questions about that process if you don’t mind.

Old 06-03-2021, 11:35 PM
FunHuman
Road Captain

No problem good luck.

Quick Reply: Magic Strobes install causing check engine light to come on