Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chirping/Squeaking 2013 Road King

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2021, 05:27 PM
xmen9c
Road Master
Received 242 Likes on 133 Posts
Default Chirping/Squeaking 2013 Road King

Hey Folks,

I have a 2013 RKC that has been making a weird chirping sound here and there for the last 3.5-4 years, INTERMITTENTLY. Doesn't happen all the time, especially when the bike is cold, it never happens then. Wondering if anyone has ever heard this or may know what it is. It seems to have gotten worse recently though (louder and more frequent).

The bike chirps when it gets up to running temperature (225-250 degrees). Some of what I have noticed when this happens:

1. The noise comes on slow and then increases in volume and frequency the more the bike idles and then rides (stop and go type riding). It doesn't ever really do this when going 70-80mph on the freeway but, once its started I have noticed it on the freeway over the sound of my exhaust, and my exhaust is loud.

2. It doesn't do it at all when its cold or at the start of a ride after the bike oil is at garage temps (under 100 degrees).

3. It only does it when the bike is upright. Meaning, when the bike is on the kickstand, it stops.
3.1 When I grab the brake lever, the pitch of the noise gets higher and when I let off, it gets lower. You can hear that in the video at the start til about 16sec in and then I let off the brake until about the 26sec mark when I grab it again and the noise gets higher.

4. Road bumps also make the noise change or affect it's rhythm, as if the frame or suspension is involved.

5. To me it almost sounds like a loose fan belt on a car.

6. There is no loss of performance at any point when the noises start, before or after. Bike runs great.

I have checked everything exhaust-wise as some folks have said they've had similar noises associated with loose exhaust bolts or old muffler grommets. I have tightened the exhaust flanges, hardware and sprayed the muffler grommets with silicone lube, etc. The bike is running Amsoil and is right at the full mark on my dipstick, not low at all.

The only other thing I can think it might be is a problem with the heads themselves. However, as stated above, the bike does not seem to be losing 1 ounce or performance while riding it before or after the noises start.

Bike has the following in it:
-Fuel Moto 107" (was stock 103" until last summer) Bikes been making the noise for a few years
-S&S MR103CAMs - Aug 2020 (had SE 204CAMs since new and made same noise last summer before 107/MR103 CAM upgrade).
-Adjustable pushrods - Since 204 CAMs
-S&S CAM Plate and High Flow Oil Pump - Aug 2020
-S&S Chain tensioner upgrade Aug 2020

Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks!

Last edited by xmen9c; 05-23-2021 at 05:48 PM.
Old 05-23-2021, 05:46 PM
Toypuller
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 5,295 Likes on 1,585 Posts

Reread, never mind.

Old 05-23-2021, 06:29 PM
blackjeep
Tourer
Received 88 Likes on 47 Posts

Upper motor mount heim joints?
i pull mine off and lube and check movement every winter when snow comes.
(all because of a squeak that started about year 3 or 4).

The following users liked this post:
stevec1966 (05-24-2021)
Old 05-23-2021, 07:07 PM
MyFavRk
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,481 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Sounds stupid , but take a short length of hose , maybe 2-3ft long , use it as a stethoscope , you'll know it when you get close .

Definitely sounds like two peaces of metal rubbing together . I would check the kick stand , yes kick stand , there I said it , see if it's rubbing on the frame , missing a bumper or needs some anti seize in the shaft .
Check under the head light , where the brake line branches off and see if the mounting bolt is loose .
Agree , could be the top stabilizer , if you can move it with your fingers , it's time to replace it .
Check your exhaust flanges / bolts , heat shields could be rubbing on the head . I had this issue when I installed my heat shield , sounded the same .

The following users liked this post:
stevec1966 (05-24-2021)
Old 05-23-2021, 10:27 PM
Taxgod4u
Road Warrior
Received 1,323 Likes on 604 Posts

Originally Posted by blackjeep
Upper motor mount heim joints?
i pull mine off and lube and check movement every winter when snow comes.
(all because of a squeak that started about year 3 or 4).

Same here, had same chirp but more intermittent, hit stabilizer with WD40's. Fixed it.

Old 05-24-2021, 03:18 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,072 Likes on 2,507 Posts

Pull the bags and check the rubber that the mufflers mount to. It’s quite possible that they're worn and causing your noise. They're cheap and easy to replace.

The following 2 users liked this post by Campy Roadie:
OkieBill (05-24-2021), stevec1966 (05-24-2021)
Old 05-24-2021, 05:25 AM
oldhippie
Stellar HDF Member
Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts

Final drive belt is not adjusted properly. As the belt heats up it will chirp more. Check rear wheel alignment. Not just belt tension. Motion Pro makes a nice too to properly adjust this. If you get the rear wheel off the ground and spin it, look at the sprocket from behind. The belt should not be rubbing on on the outside or inside of the sprocket.

Amazon Amazon

Old 05-24-2021, 09:15 AM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,639 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Engaging the brakes means less vibration, so the chirping is lessened. I agree the front engine mounting bracket and/or stabilizer links could be the cause. Maybe the tank bracket boot is worn. Check the bolts to your spot lights or the light bracket.

My 13 King also had a more muted chirping coming from somewhere under the seating area for me a while back. Had the dangest time tracing it. Found out the bottom saddlebag bracket where it attaches to the rear fender was the cause. Tightened it and the noise was gone.

Old 05-24-2021, 09:23 AM
MTBIG G
Road Warrior
Veteran: Navy
Received 975 Likes on 559 Posts

Noises like this are hard to diagnose. That said, I've had similar noises that turned out to be lifters. The rollers were bound up and sliding on the cam.

Old 05-24-2021, 09:59 AM
yiride
Advanced
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I had a 2009 FLHTC that drove me nuts for a couple years . It ended up being the bolt on tail section on the frame. Found a tiny rust trail coming from under the rear tail section. I just loosend all 6 bolts and retourqued to spec and chirp was gone

Quick Reply: Chirping/Squeaking 2013 Road King