Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Apple Carplay

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2021 | 12:44 AM
c_l_phillips72
|
Advanced
Default Apple Carplay

Hi all.

I just bought a 2021 Road Glide (the 107, not the 114). The dealer told me that CarPlay was included standard on mine but I’m not able to get it to work. I’ve done a bunch of reading on different websites about WHIM’s and flashes, etc but none of it was specific to 2021’s except for articles that were specifically about Road Glide Specials.

I’m guessing the dealer gave me inaccurate info and CarPlay isn’t standard by default on the regular Road Glides.

If it helps, I have the Boom GTS system and my software version is M21.20.28.00.

Anyone here have any info on how to get CarPlay to work? I’ve read something about needing a Mic. Really? I have Cardo Connect headsets on our full face helmets but I’m not sure if those will work with the Boom system or if that would satisfy the Mic requirement to enable CarPlay.

My ultimate goal is to be able to listen to my phones audio and hear the NAV directions from Boom via my Cardo Connect and I was thinking maybe CarPlay might be the solution but it’s not looking good.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Last edited by c_l_phillips72; 05-23-2021 at 01:16 AM.
Old 05-23-2021 | 06:44 AM
Smokin’ pipes
Tourer

Apple CarPlay Jumper for Harley Davidson '19 and up GTS RADIO **IN STOCK**! | eBay

Works like a charm. Easy install, several youtube videos. Don't be afraid of taking the front fairing off, super easy. Installed mine in less than half an hour.

The following 5 users liked this post by Smokin’ pipes:
attaboy15 (05-24-2021), c_l_phillips72 (05-23-2021), maxxym (05-24-2021), RGS88 (05-23-2021), Vernal (05-23-2021)
Old 05-23-2021 | 07:26 AM
HFS
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Apple Carplay [non-jumper method] can be a pain in the ***.
You'll need:
  • a Boom GTS [or the Sony one, but let's stay on Harley-Davidson] - Check
  • a WHIM [Wireless Headset Infotainment Module] - Not included in the Road Glide, plus a dealership flash required
  • a Harley-Davidson branded SENA - You have Cardio
  • a cable connection - I've had some fail...
This allows Siri to work, and voice commands and such. The jumper is probably the best bet.

I was messing with mine. I've got the WHIM and 30K. CarPlay will work, then you'll stop for gas, shut off the motorcycle, and it seems 50/50 that CarPlay will work. then your options are:
  1. Unplug the lightning connector and replug it in.
  2. Shutdown and restart the 30K
  3. Shutdown and restart the GTS
  4. angrily proceed without CarPlay.
Now that I've had CarPlay, it is buggy, and the only reason [in my opinion] to have it is for the Waze app on it.
Maybe I should see if I jumper the two wires, I'll keep WHIM functionality..? I'd bet the final, final firmware update will have it fixed, then they'll come out with the GTSS...

When do they come up with the Bluetooth CarPlay..?

--H

The following 2 users liked this post by HFS:
c_l_phillips72 (05-23-2021), JU2012FXDWG (05-25-2021)
Old 05-23-2021 | 08:45 AM
RGS88
Road Warrior

My Carplay jumper was the best $25 mod I've ever bought.

Takes about 30-40 minutes to install if it's your first time taking off the fairing.

The following 2 users liked this post by RGS88:
c_l_phillips72 (05-23-2021), maxxym (06-23-2021)
Old 05-23-2021 | 09:16 AM
lefty33
Road Warrior

Seems HD has removed the connector under the fairing of 2021's for this reason? Just read this on another thread...

"So I went to install a jumper on the WHIM connector and on 2021 there’s no WHIM connector there in the front of the fairing on my RGL. I called the dealer and the service manage said Harley removed the connector to stop people from activating CarPlay without a microphone connected. It seems this is required by Apple."

He's trying to figure out which pins to "jump" on the 7 pin DIN connector. Apparently another "entrepreneur" has figured it out...but for $175!! Here's the other thread...
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...e-carplay.html

The following 2 users liked this post by lefty33:
c_l_phillips72 (05-23-2021), JU2012FXDWG (05-25-2021)
Old 05-23-2021 | 09:18 AM
c_l_phillips72
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by HFS
Apple Carplay [non-jumper method] can be a pain in the ***.
You'll need:
  • a Boom GTS [or the Sony one, but let's stay on Harley-Davidson] - Check
  • a WHIM [Wireless Headset Infotainment Module] - Not included in the Road Glide, plus a dealership flash required
  • a Harley-Davidson branded SENA - You have Cardio
  • a cable connection - I've had some fail...
This allows Siri to work, and voice commands and such. The jumper is probably the best bet.

I was messing with mine. I've got the WHIM and 30K. CarPlay will work, then you'll stop for gas, shut off the motorcycle, and it seems 50/50 that CarPlay will work. then your options are:
  1. Unplug the lightning connector and replug it in.
  2. Shutdown and restart the 30K
  3. Shutdown and restart the GTS
  4. angrily proceed without CarPlay.
Now that I've had CarPlay, it is buggy, and the only reason [in my opinion] to have it is for the Waze app on it.
Maybe I should see if I jumper the two wires, I'll keep WHIM functionality..? I'd bet the final, final firmware update will have it fixed, then they'll come out with the GTSS...

When do they come up with the Bluetooth CarPlay..?

--H
Originally Posted by Smokin’ pipes
Apple CarPlay Jumper for Harley Davidson '19 and up GTS RADIO **IN STOCK**! | eBay

Works like a charm. Easy install, several youtube videos. Don't be afraid of taking the front fairing off, super easy. Installed mine in less than half an hour.
Originally Posted by RGS88
My Carplay jumper was the best $25 mod I've ever bought.

Takes about 30-40 minutes to install if it's your first time taking off the fairing.
Thank you all. I’ve purchased the jumper and watched a video on how to take the fairing off.

I’m still wondering if this is going to provide the results that I’m after. Do you guys use anything like the Cardo Packtalk Bold while connected to CarPlay?

I know I could use NAV on my phone and hear the directions via my Palktalk, and see the Google or Waze map on the display when CarPlay activates, but I’d prefer to use the MC’s NAV unit. I’m not sure, even when connected to CarPlay, if I’ll be able to get the MC’s NAV audio to my Packtalk. I’m guessing no, and I’m guessing the only way to do that is with the WHIM. Please let me know if any of my assumptions are incorrect.

Despite all the issues with the WHIM described above, what’s the cost of a WHIM and how easily are they installed? I understand the dealer has to flash the system as a part of a WHIM install, but can the install be done safely by users and not impact warranty?

Old 05-23-2021 | 09:24 AM
c_l_phillips72
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by lefty33
Seems HD has removed the connector under the fairing of 2021's for this reason? Just read this on another thread...

"So I went to install a jumper on the WHIM connector and on 2021 there’s no WHIM connector there in the front of the fairing on my RGL. I called the dealer and the service manage said Harley removed the connector to stop people from activating CarPlay without a microphone connected. It seems this is required by Apple."

He's trying to figure out which pins to "jump" on the 7 pin DIN connector. Apparently another "entrepreneur" has figured it out...but for $175!! Here's the other thread...
Oh that sucks! I already paid for the jumper on EBay! Hopefully they’ll just refund me, or I guess I’ll just be out $20.00.

I haven’t yet read the thread you posted, but thanks for your response.

Old 05-23-2021 | 09:25 AM
c_l_phillips72
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by lefty33

The link provided is this thread.

The following users liked this post:
fonso003 (05-26-2021)
Old 05-23-2021 | 09:26 AM
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by c_l_phillips72

Despite all the issues with the WHIM described above, what’s the cost of a WHIM and how easily are they installed? I understand the dealer has to flash the system as a part of a WHIM install, but can the install be done safely by users and not impact warranty?
I have none of the issues that were posted above. It works as designed every time for me. The WHIM is easily installed, it's all plug and play, and your warranty won't be affected unless you screw it up somehow.

The following 2 users liked this post by 702:
30glock (05-25-2021), c_l_phillips72 (05-23-2021)
Old 05-23-2021 | 09:27 AM
c_l_phillips72
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by 702
I have none of the issues that were posted above. It works as designed every time for me. The WHIM is easily installed, it's all plug and play, and your warranty won't be affected unless you screw it up somehow.
Thank you. What’s the cost of the WHIM?

Quick Reply: Apple Carplay