Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FP3 and cams , jerkyness after auto tune

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2021, 07:25 AM
MyFavRk
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,481 Likes on 3,902 Posts
Default FP3 and cams , jerkyness after auto tune

Hey guys , Hoping for some opinions . I've been working with V&H on getting my map dialed in just right for the cams I recently had installed . After I did approx 6 hrs of auto tuning , I uploaded the map to V&H for viewing , they said that it looked great , but made some minor tweaking and sent it back to be flashed .

Yesterday I got a chance to see how it would perform , I gotta say " wow " , performance is awesome , and it runs better than it ever did before . The only thing that bothers me is the slight " jerkyness " I feel when slowing down from 3rd , 2nd to 1st , not braking , it's minimal , but still noticeable . I spoke to them about it and they suggested to leave the map as is because the parameters are at where they should be . I know this would make slow manoeuvring in parking lots etc , a bit of a challenge .

so , question is , will this improve after I ride for awhile , something about the ecu learning the new flash , or could it be something else causing it other than the tune , had a new se compensator installed as well , so maybe the chain to tight or --- , bike was super smooth before the cams were installed .

I was planning on getting the bike dyno'd with a tts , but not this year , hoping to use the FP3 for a bit .

Little info , 10 Road King , Arlen Ness Big Sucker , Woods TW222 Cams , SE Compensator .

Going to be working today , but will be back later today . Thanks in advance for any opinions or advice .

Old 05-19-2021, 11:29 AM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,808 Likes on 2,544 Posts

Have you considered getting the rpm bumped up a little say 1100 RPMs. I've done this to my 95" cammed TC and it helped out with the slow speeds. The cam lope sounds cool but what do you want Cool or drivability?

Old 05-19-2021, 11:50 AM
bdehlin
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

What's your current Throttle Progressivity setting?

Old 05-19-2021, 01:23 PM
MyFavRk
Seasoned HDF Member

Thanks for your responses guys .

I have my idle rpm set at 1000-1025 , not sure I would want it any higher . The cam lope does sound pretty wicked with the cams I have , but I'd rather have drivability over sound .

I have it set at " Aggressive " , but this is definitely something worth setting back to " normal " and seeing if it helps , never thought of that . We just had a cold front move in , snow/rain , so testing out that theory will have to wait . Before I did the cams , I had my Stage 1 map set at " Aggressive " and it worked out awesome , but with the new exhaust and cams , it could be to much . I'll give it a try .

Old 05-20-2021, 06:01 AM
MikeTD3
Road Master
Veteran: Navy
Received 228 Likes on 127 Posts

The TW222 cams should have excellent slow speed manners, something has to be off with the tune. A dyno session/tune would most likely take care of your issue.

The following users liked this post:
Dseago1969 (05-21-2021)
Old 05-20-2021, 07:11 AM
MyFavRk
Seasoned HDF Member

Something I should mention , during my autotune , the map was set on " Standard " for the throttle progressivity , it was after I had finished the autotune that I changed it to "aggressive " , which makes me wonder if that's the reason I'm getting the slow speed jerk . I've changed it back , now waiting for better weather to do a test ride .

I honestly don't see how changing the progressivity after an autotune would cause this , but I'll give it a try , I'm definitely no tech expert , lol .

I'm also wondering if it would be wise to rerun my autotune using this exact map to see if I can improve the lower rpm range , 0-10 % throttle . I know once the cells have been set to green , there's no improving that area . Maybe an hr or so of slow speed , stop and starts would help , but I'll contact V&H before I do this .

I do have plans on getting the bike dyno'd with a tts , which is something the indy recommended when I had my cams done , just wasn't in my budget at the time ( last fall ) . I was hoping that the FP3 would do until fall or spring next year , but if I can't get this to improve , looks like I'll be booking it in .

Old 05-21-2021, 08:02 AM
MyFavRk
Seasoned HDF Member

Update , yesterday , I changed the throttle progressivity back to " Standard " , at the same time , I checked for error codes , it came up with 2 , front and rear cylinders running rich . I know that these errors were not there before the autotune , so I cleared the codes and will test ride tomorrow to see if the jerkyness and errors are resolved , if not , I'll contact V&H to see whats up .

The following users liked this post:
DanHappy (05-21-2021)
Old 05-21-2021, 08:16 AM
SWMB
Road Warrior
Received 778 Likes on 501 Posts

Good luck I hope V&H can get it for you. They couldn't for me.

Old 05-21-2021, 08:26 AM
MyFavRk
Seasoned HDF Member

That thought has already crossed my mind , my indy is already on standby , might be getting a dyno sooner than later .

Old 05-21-2021, 11:56 AM
DanHappy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,419 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Will your tuner use the FP3, or will be have you change it out to something else?

Been hearing allot of tuners dont like the FP3's...

Quick Reply: FP3 and cams , jerkyness after auto tune