Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FP3 and cams , jerkyness after auto tune

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2021, 01:16 PM
MyFavRk
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,481 Likes on 3,902 Posts

The indy does have the capability to tune using the FP3 , but if I end up going this route , I'd rather spend more and get a much more accurate tune using a tts . From what I understand , they'll be able to pull much more torque / hp out of the TTS , than they could using the FP3 .

Old 05-21-2021, 02:01 PM
DanHappy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,419 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Okay. Good to know. Yea, a better tuner would pay dividends on more power over time.

Old 05-21-2021, 02:46 PM
Weeboy1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 838 Likes on 614 Posts

Hey J, what’s got you sold on the TTS? Not that there’s anything wrong with it and some tuners even prefer it, but it has to be patched through a PC just like the SE race tuners Harley was selling. But have you considered a power vision? Probably one of the most common devices tuners use . It’s also much more user friendly for adjustment and changes after the fact.
And its stand alone. Once maps are downloaded everything goes thru the PV. Can even mount it on the bar and monitor different engine systems on the go . It’s quite the intuitive device.

The following 2 users liked this post by Weeboy1:
Dseago1969 (05-21-2021), MyFavRk (05-21-2021)
Old 05-21-2021, 05:01 PM
Charlie Day
Novice
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MyFavRk
Hey guys , Hoping for some opinions . I've been working with V&H on getting my map dialed in just right for the cams I recently had installed . After I did approx 6 hrs of auto tuning , I uploaded the map to V&H for viewing , they said that it looked great , but made some minor tweaking and sent it back to be flashed .

Yesterday I got a chance to see how it would perform , I gotta say " wow " , performance is awesome , and it runs better than it ever did before . The only thing that bothers me is the slight " jerkyness " I feel when slowing down from 3rd , 2nd to 1st , not braking , it's minimal , but still noticeable . I spoke to them about it and they suggested to leave the map as is because the parameters are at where they should be . I know this would make slow manoeuvring in parking lots etc , a bit of a challenge .

so , question is , will this improve after I ride for awhile , something about the ecu learning the new flash , or could it be something else causing it other than the tune , had a new se compensator installed as well , so maybe the chain to tight or --- , bike was super smooth before the cams were installed .

I was planning on getting the bike dyno'd with a tts , but not this year , hoping to use the FP3 for a bit .

Little info , 10 Road King , Arlen Ness Big Sucker , Woods TW222 Cams , SE Compensator .

Going to be working today , but will be back later today . Thanks in advance for any opinions or advice .
I installed some cams in a 103, Woods TW777 cams. I also have the same issue directly after the installation, closing the throttle its feels like you're on a bucking horse. Tried auto tuning with the FP3 but made no difference. I also had both cylinders running rich codes but that's understandable with the new cams, the FP3 couldn't even sort that out after picking the cams in the tuner.
Decided to get it dynoed. I had to buy a power vision tuner as the dyno guy said the FP3 just doesn't cut it. He noticed that as I pulled up & he walked over to me that my bike was running hot. I said it's since I installed the cams, with that we walked into his office where he got onto his computer & compared the lift durations on the stock cams I had to the TW777's I just put in. Straight away he said the reason the bike was running hot was that the 777's exhaust duration was alot shorter so I'm now thinking if that explains the horse bucking scenario.

The following 2 users liked this post by Charlie Day:
DanHappy (05-21-2021), MyFavRk (05-21-2021)
Old 05-21-2021, 08:43 PM
MyFavRk
Seasoned HDF Member

Thanks for the responses guys , yah , I'm becoming doubtful that the FP3 is going to cut it , but I'll work with V&H and see if we can make it work . I'm not sure by changing the throttle progressivity to "aggressive " would have caused the bucking and errors codes , but I've changed it back to " standard " and cleared the codes , now a test run tomorrow will tell me if there's any improvement , if not I'll be seeing my indy .

I will ask them about the power vision , but when I saw them last , they highly recommended the tts , that it would give me the best tune I could get .

The following users liked this post:
DanHappy (05-22-2021)
Old 05-21-2021, 10:51 PM
MyFavRk
Seasoned HDF Member

Been sitting here thinking about this . If the bike is running rich on both cylinders , then obviously , like Charlie stated , it would run hot . When I do my test run tomorrow , I'm going to set up my FP3 program to monitor my temp , rpm's etc . I'm not sure what an acceptable temp would be , but I'll report my findings when I'm done .

DanHappy (05-22-2021)
Old 05-22-2021, 01:09 AM
Charlie Day
Novice
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MyFavRk
Been sitting here thinking about this . If the bike is running rich on both cylinders , then obviously , like Charlie stated , it would run hot . When I do my test run tomorrow , I'm going to set up my FP3 program to monitor my temp , rpm's etc . I'm not sure what an acceptable temp would be , but I'll report my findings when I'm done .
Hi mate, it's not running hot because both cylinders are running rich,it would have the opposite effect. It's running hot because the exhaust duration or exhaust valve opening time is too short.

Oko (05-28-2021)
Old 05-22-2021, 07:05 AM
MyFavRk
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Charlie Day
Hi mate, it's not running hot because both cylinders are running rich,it would have the opposite effect. It's running hot because the exhaust duration or exhaust valve opening time is too short.
Ah ok , shows how much I know about tuning . Right now I'm not sure if my bike is running hot or not , but after my ride today , I'll post what my temp is after I ride for about an hour .

Old 05-22-2021, 07:20 AM
GregGillette
Road Master
Received 247 Likes on 174 Posts

FP3 did well for my Stage 1 but then trusted their having all the listed cams in their app dialed in. Installed an Andrew's 48 in my 103 and could never get to run right in my mind...at rpms it seemed good but same as you, low speed it was jerky and rough in the parking lots. Gave them a couple tries of tunes along with my auto tunes and just never got there. Their common "run 2 tanks" to let calibrate seemed way too far to adjust. Flashed back to stock and installed a Power Vision from Fuel Moto and runs great, none of the previous issues. Ran a few auto tunes and have not touched the tune in over a year...just ride.

Old 05-22-2021, 07:44 AM
MyFavRk
Seasoned HDF Member

Thanks Greg , you've got me serious thinking about ordering one . If I could get a proper tune out of the pv instead of getting the bike dyno'd , it would save me about half the $$$ , or more . The more I read about the power vision , the more I wish I would have gone that way in the first place , it's the most recommended tuner on the forum from what I've seen so far . Also , I do like the idea of having my phone available to see details of the bike , temp , rpm's etc .

Is this the unit I will need ? Does this also have the capability of doing an auto tune , or will I have to purchase the autorune pro along with it ?

I see now , that I would use the unit to view specs , not my phone , like on the fp3 .

https://www.jpcycles.com/product/210...r-vision-tuner

Last edited by MyFavRk; 05-22-2021 at 07:53 AM.

Quick Reply: FP3 and cams , jerkyness after auto tune