Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2021 GTS Apple Car play "Hack"

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2021 | 01:04 PM
Axedude
Cruiser
Veteran: Army

When I get CarPlay working it’s only for a few minutes then my cplay2air quits working and my GTS screen shows it’s “reloading” and stays stuck there. It seems extremely finicky. My iPhone 12 is fully charged and kept inside my tourpac.
-Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Old 10-09-2021 | 03:40 PM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member

Try moving the phone up to the fairing and see if it improves in that regards. Also did you check for a firmware updates for the module when you installed it? If not try that too (the instructions that came with it tells how to do it).

I don't know if its a range thing, but when I put my phone in the saddle bag it will do what you're talking about every now and then. But has never done it with my phone in my jacket pocket or in the glovebox thing in the fairing. The one in my truck always connects and stay connected.

When it does act like you're saying, I hit "cancel" and go to the home screen and in a couple minutes it seems to straighten out on its own.
If I ran a tourpack all the time, I'd think about running a longer USB cable back and into the tourpack instead of the media compartments and just put them both in there... but then plugging it in to the USB would be just as convenient...

Old 10-11-2021 | 09:10 AM
Axedude
Cruiser

Thanks, I’ll try the update for the cplay2air. The blue tooth should work fine at the short distance I’m using it. I don’t want to run any more or longer cables. If I can’t get it to work reliably, I’m going to forget about music on my bike. Harley needs to up their game on their infotainment system for these bikes.

Old 10-11-2021 | 10:10 AM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member

Also, just to add, that cplay2Air module just does the initial connection to your phone via bluetooth, then it switched to wifi to communicate with your phone. From what I've read its a bandwidth thing... and the wifi range should be fine too lol After the phone is successfully connected to the module, check your phones wifi & bluetooth connections, if I remember right bluetooth only shows connected to the module briefly, then the module shows up as your wifi connection.

Like I said above, the one in my truck has never had an issue connecting, but on the bike its picky if the phone is in the saddlebag.

Old 10-11-2021 | 10:35 AM
Axedude
Cruiser

You’re right. Briefly connects to Bluetooth then WiFi. Firmware is up to date.
Riding season is about over for me. Snow coming tomorrow. Maybe I’ll figure something more out this winter.
Thanks for the help!

Old 10-17-2021 | 10:20 AM
Jon Wilder
Novice

Originally Posted by rangemaster
The reason this hack works is it fools the GTS into thinking a wired mic is attached…it jumpers pins 4 & 5 on the WHIM connector (gray plug behind the radio).

This shorts the front headset Right & Left + signals together…so it must be removed if you want to attach a wired headset (or a Sena Freewire) at some point in time.

The switch option posted previously is a brilliant option…you only have to open the fairing once, but I would use a connector on it just to exclude the possibility of contact pin corrosion down the road.
Those pins are for the Right and Left rider headset speaker outputs. Nothing to do with the mic connection, which is on pins 1 and 3 for the rider (2 and 3 for the passenger).

Not sure how this even works to enable Car Play. Somehow it does. But never a good idea to dead short two speaker outputs together.

Old 10-18-2021 | 10:06 AM
fordhd2005
Road Master

Just verified this works on a 2021 RG Special... Took me a minute to find the plug, it was in the front behind a metal plate that a black plug was attached to the top of. I just jumped the prongs with a spade connector that was pictured in a previous post. Thanks!

Last edited by fordhd2005; 10-18-2021 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Updated
Old 10-27-2021 | 04:53 AM
TnFatboy
Road Master

I took my outer fairing off yesterday for other reasons, and figured it would be a good time to do this hack. I bought this 19 Street Glide Special used back in February, so I’m not really sure what the PO might’ve done here, although I do remember the salesman telling me he had a plug installed for a cb (in the dash console). It didn’t really interest me at the time because I didn’t plan on installing a cb, but if I’m looking at the right harness, it’s got something plugged in already? Anyone know what it is, and am I even looking at the right plug-it’s more of an off-white than a grey color. Thanks…

Last edited by TnFatboy; 10-27-2021 at 05:41 AM.
Old 10-27-2021 | 09:00 AM
fordhd2005
Road Master

I think the plug your looking for is behind that circuit board looking thing (garage door opener hack?).. but there should be a white plug that looks very similar to what you have circled behind it.

Old 10-27-2021 | 09:18 AM
lefty33
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by TnFatboy
I took my outer fairing off yesterday for other reasons, and figured it would be a good time to do this hack. I bought this 19 Street Glide Special used back in February, so I’m not really sure what the PO might’ve done here, although I do remember the salesman telling me he had a plug installed for a cb (in the dash console). It didn’t really interest me at the time because I didn’t plan on installing a cb, but if I’m looking at the right harness, it’s got something plugged in already? Anyone know what it is, and am I even looking at the right plug-it’s more of an off-white than a grey color. Thanks…
Pretty sure that is the correct plug. It currently has the BOOM Comm kit (as below) plugged in so the previous owner could plug his headset in to use the CB. The CB module plug is similar but black.
If you decide to go wireless at some time, the WHIM (wireless headset interface module) would plug into this same connector. For now, you could do one of 2 things for CarPlay...
1) Plug a wired headset in to the dash plug (mic required for CarPlay to work), plug your iPhone into the USB and CarPlay will work
2) Unplug the Comm kit here behind the fairing if you never intend to use the wired headset and plug in the hack/jumper (fools the BOOM system to think a headset/mic is in play), plug iPhone into USB

Quick Reply: 2021 GTS Apple Car play "Hack"