Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2021 GTS Apple Car play "Hack"

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2021 | 09:01 AM
lefty33
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Parrothead1809
Great info in this thread! Now, does anyone have a good trick for getting an iPhone 12 to fit in the Street Glide media compartment? Looks like I'll need a very short cord with a 90 degree bend on the lightning side to allow phone to be plugged in and the door to close. I believe Apple CarPlay requires a wired connection.
Thanks,
-PH
Does not require a hard wired connection. Use the CPLAY2air wireless adapter and put your phone in your pocket, TourPak, etc. A number of members here are using them and confirmed they work with the newer GTS.
https://cplay2air.com/products/cplay...r-link-feature

The following users liked this post:
QNman (09-17-2021)
Old 09-16-2021 | 10:37 AM
Axedude
Cruiser
Veteran: Army

I have an iPhone 12 and bought a usb to phone cord with the right angle connector. It fits in the door pocket ONLY with the phone plug facing in. (On my Limited).

Old 09-16-2021 | 10:58 AM
Axedude
Cruiser
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by lefty33
Does not require a hard wired connection. Use the CPLAY2air wireless adapter and put your phone in your pocket, TourPak, etc. A number of members here are using them and confirmed they work with the newer GTS.
https://cplay2air.com/products/cplay...r-link-feature
I just ordered this too! When I get it I’ll keep my phone inside the tour pac and keep it charged-when needed- by the powered outlet.
Thanks once again lefty33!!
(btw, I love the color of your Road Glide. -Sharp bike).

lefty33 (09-16-2021)
Old 09-16-2021 | 11:43 AM
Jwciv
Stage IV

Great info in this thread! Now, does anyone have a good trick for getting an iPhone 12 to fit in the Street Glide media compartment? Looks like I'll need a very short cord with a 90 degree bend on the lightning side to allow phone to be plugged in and the door to close. I believe Apple CarPlay requires a wired connection.
Thanks,
-PH
if you’d rather stay wired, this works with an iPhone 11:

Amazon Amazon

Old 09-16-2021 | 01:01 PM
Parrothead1809
Tourer

So if I understand correctly, I'd need the $25 module that plugs in under the fairing and the CPLAY2air unit in the media dock. Right?

I.e. I can't simply plug in the CPLAY2air. PS: I'm going to be using this with my Cardo PacTalk slim. The main benefit I'm looking for is Google Maps and Waze to appear on my Boom/GTS.

Thanks,
-PH

Old 09-16-2021 | 06:05 PM
lefty33
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Axedude
I just ordered this too! When I get it I’ll keep my phone inside the tour pac and keep it charged-when needed- by the powered outlet.
Thanks once again lefty33!!
(btw, I love the color of your Road Glide. -Sharp bike).
Thanks Axedude!

So if I understand correctly, I'd need the $25 module that plugs in under the fairing and the CPLAY2air unit in the media dock. Right?

I.e. I can't simply plug in the CPLAY2air. PS: I'm going to be using this with my Cardo PacTalk slim. The main benefit I'm looking for is Google Maps and Waze to appear on my Boom/GTS.

Thanks,
-PH
Correct...you need both. In order for CarPlay to work, a microphone is required (hands free) which means a headset has to be plugged in...or the hack plugged in which tricks the Boom GTS into thinking a mic is in play.
And then the CPLAY2air plugs into the USB so you can connect your phone wireless as opposed to directly plugged into the USB which can be a "fit" problem in the cubby with todays phones getting bigger.

Old 09-16-2021 | 08:01 PM
Parrothead1809
Tourer

Originally Posted by lefty33
Correct...you need both. In order for CarPlay to work, a microphone is required (hands free) which means a headset has to be plugged in...or the hack plugged in which tricks the Boom GTS into thinking a mic is in play.
And then the CPLAY2air plugs into the USB so you can connect your phone wireless as opposed to directly plugged into the USB which can be a "fit" problem in the cubby with todays phones getting bigger.
Thanks Lefty ! I saw a mixed review of the CPLAY2air on youtube. I'm not excited about spending another $100 to fix an obvious engineering blunder from Harley. I'm torn between keeping the phone charged while riding, and having it in my pocket in case of emergency; esp for the longer day-long rides when I'll need my phone once I reach my destination.

PS: I also like the color of your bike. I need to get a good beauty shot of my new SG to put in my .sig

-PH

lefty33 (09-17-2021)
Old 09-17-2021 | 03:14 PM
QNman
Supporter
Supporter

Thanks Lefty ! I saw a mixed review of the CPLAY2air on youtube. I'm not excited about spending another $100 to fix an obvious engineering blunder from Harley. I'm torn between keeping the phone charged while riding, and having it in my pocket in case of emergency; esp for the longer day-long rides when I'll need my phone once I reach my destination.

PS: I also like the color of your bike. I need to get a good beauty shot of my new SG to put in my .sig

-PH
I have the CPLAY2air in both my Harley and my Silverado. Works fantastic in both. Occasionally it takes a couple minutes to connect to the phone, but it works very seamlessly.

lefty33 (09-17-2021)
Old 09-17-2021 | 04:01 PM
lefty33
Road Warrior

PS: I also like the color of your bike. I need to get a good beauty shot of my new SG to put in my .sig-PH
Thanks Parrothead! Siver Pine/Spuce (who comes up with naming these colors?)...in it's element

Old 09-29-2021 | 01:09 PM
Parrothead1809
Tourer

Thanks,
-PH
I ordered these from Amazon (
Amazon Amazon
) and can report that if you slide the iPhone 12 in, bottom first (that is, the lightning connection first), you can get the door closed (on a '21 SG). They are a bit expensive, but you get two (so you're ready when the first one breaks - which we all know will eventually happen). Although they are only a foot long, they still require a minimal amount of stuffing and pushing.

I'm not connected with the manufacturer - just providing another datapoint...
-PH

Quick Reply: 2021 GTS Apple Car play "Hack"