Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2021 GTS Apple Car play "Hack"

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2022 | 03:59 PM
lefty33
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by skratch
no. without a compatible headset, you will not have carplay. the mic is a requirment for it to work.
Originally Posted by propflux01
ok I see. Just strange that my headset with mic doesn’t work. I guess the DIN is wired differently somehow.
Hey prop...it's something different in the headset. As I pointed out in post #130 here, my HD issue 1/2 Helmet Headset didn't work either as it's not compatible (per the HD website) for some reason. My HD issue Full Helmet Premium Headset (plugged into the same 7-pin connector in the dash) that I have in my 3/4 helmet works. But as skratch pointed out, earbuds won't work as a mic has to be in play (Apple requirement).

Old 04-12-2022 | 05:01 PM
propflux01
Road Warrior
Veteran: Air Force

I have a set of earbuds that have an in-line mic with the 4 pin TRRS 3.5mm plug on it. Since it has a mic, I’m wondering if I can rig up an adapter with a 7 pin DIN, aside from some kind of impedance issue, unless Harley wired the headsets differently, I can’t see a reason why it wouldn’t work. If I follow this diagram it should work, correct?

Last edited by propflux01; 04-12-2022 at 07:15 PM.
Old 04-18-2022 | 03:15 PM
DanNeiciu
Stage II

Hi, I recently bought a Road Glide 2020 Limited, I followed all the steps described in this topic but I still can't connect iPhone to GTS, it just can't see it, nothing happened. Anything else needs to be done? installed something?
Thank YOU!

Old 04-18-2022 | 06:30 PM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member

Be sure "Projection Mode" is turned on in the GTS's settings (see the manual for the GTS for where to do this at).
Then, did you plug your iPhone in to the USB and connect a HD premium headset? Did CarPlay work that way? Thats the "stock" way, or how HD intended it...
If you tried that and CarPlay didn't work, what headset did you try, and do you have the WHIM module installed?
If you get CarPlay working like it should, then move on to the hack and it should be easy... Easier to figure out what the issue is, if you can get it working the "right" way first... then do the hack.

Then which hack are you trying?
The Jumper Hack, the one under the fairing, see post #6, way up above, and be sure you have found the right connector in the fairing to "jump". If you don't have WHIM installed, jumping those pins in that connector should have you going... without a headset, but your phone still has to be plugged into the USB.... and if you want to use a headset, you're going to have to take the "jumper" off.

The DIN Plug hack in the rider's headset jack? did you order the "adapter"? https://www.ebay.com/itm/29420462225...gd6000axp00004 (from lefty33's post #38) and try it in both the Rider's and Passenger's headset jack?... some can't get it to work in the rider's jack. Nice thing about this one is if you want to use a headset you just unplug the "adapter" and plug your headset in. Your phone has to be plugged into the USB for this also....

Might be easier to help you, if we know what you've done... and that you can get it working hooking it up like HD designed it first. Then know which hack you're trying to do, and by what method (jumping the connector in the fairing with a spade clip, or bought something online to do it, or bought a DIN adapter, or making your own, what?).

Last edited by Ssitruc; 04-18-2022 at 06:48 PM.
Old 04-19-2022 | 01:15 AM
DanNeiciu
Stage II

Originally Posted by Ssitruc
Be sure "Projection Mode" is turned on in the GTS's settings (see the manual for the GTS for where to do this at).
Then, did you plug your iPhone in to the USB and connect a HD premium headset? Did CarPlay work that way? Thats the "stock" way, or how HD intended it...
If you tried that and CarPlay didn't work, what headset did you try, and do you have the WHIM module installed?
If you get CarPlay working like it should, then move on to the hack and it should be easy... Easier to figure out what the issue is, if you can get it working the "right" way first... then do the hack.

Then which hack are you trying?
The Jumper Hack, the one under the fairing, see post #6, way up above, and be sure you have found the right connector in the fairing to "jump". If you don't have WHIM installed, jumping those pins in that connector should have you going... without a headset, but your phone still has to be plugged into the USB.... and if you want to use a headset, you're going to have to take the "jumper" off.

The DIN Plug hack in the rider's headset jack? did you order the "adapter"? https://www.ebay.com/itm/29420462225...gd6000axp00004 (from lefty33's post #38) and try it in both the Rider's and Passenger's headset jack?... some can't get it to work in the rider's jack. Nice thing about this one is if you want to use a headset you just unplug the "adapter" and plug your headset in. Your phone has to be plugged into the USB for this also....

Might be easier to help you, if we know what you've done... and that you can get it working hooking it up like HD designed it first. Then know which hack you're trying to do, and by what method (jumping the connector in the fairing with a spade clip, or bought something online to do it, or bought a DIN adapter, or making your own, what?).
thanks for the reply
I didn't connect headphones i don't have some
I don't know if i have the module whim installed, how can i check
I tried jumper hack as in the attached picture
I haven't ordered DIN Plug hack

Old 04-19-2022 | 07:05 AM
propflux01
Road Warrior
Veteran: Air Force

I’ll leave my post here from the audio section. Maybe it’ll help.

Originally Posted by propflux01
Well, Ended up making an adapter. Fits into the front DIN. Carplay works, and I can listen to everything, including prompts for navigation. What I cannot do is talk into the mic. AS soon as I press my mic button on the earbuds the carplay gets knocked off. But I guess this is what I will have to deal with. it works and I can at least listen and have the carplay. This was wired with the TRRS plug. Pins 6&1 were tied together for ground. Pin 4 for MIC, Pin 5 for the left +, and Pin 3 for the right +.

2020 wiring diagram

Old 04-19-2022 | 12:21 PM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by DanNeiciu
thanks for the reply
I didn't connect headphones i don't have some
I don't know if i have the module whim installed, how can i check
I tried jumper hack as in the attached picture
I haven't ordered DIN Plug hack
Looks like you have the right connector, and the right 2 pins shorted. Did you also have your iPhone plugged into the USB cable from the GTS? CarPlay won't work if the iPhone isn't plugged into the USB, unless you get a "Wireless CarPlay module"... thats a whole 'other thing....

You don't have WHIM, or it would have been plugged into that connector that you jumped (as I understand it) instead of the dust cover being on it.

Your bike, when it was new, should have come with a headset, that I think were the kind to put in a helmet (my 2016 did), guessing you didn't get that when you bought it... although they're not necessary for the jumper, you just won't be able to do the voice stuff with CarPlay if at some point you wanted too because you dont have a headset with a mic (but you can't use the mic anyways if the jumper is installed). But having the headset just makes it easier to see that it is all working before doing the jumper is all.

Old 04-19-2022 | 02:10 PM
Ron Sange
4th Gear

Originally Posted by JimTJr
I've seen a few posts on other pages, (FB) about a plug with jumpers that let's Car Play work on GTS without buying the hundreds of dollars WHIM module. Any links on building my own? What pins are jumpered? I am getting a service manual when it comes in. I might be able to figure it out with the wiring diagrams. Just wondering if anyone has made their own yet? (The ones I'm seeing for sale are 25.00) Figure I can buy plug, pins and make my own for less than 10.00.
Amazon Amazon

This link is the one i have on my 21 FLHSX and no problem at all. for $12 bucks.

Old 04-27-2022 | 08:31 PM
PopsHD
Road Warrior

I got the item mentioned In post #108. It works like a charm on my 2020 Triglide.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-micr...o/294204622254

The following users liked this post:
binarym (04-30-2022)