Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2021 GTS Apple Car play "Hack"

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2022 | 10:10 AM
Gorion
Road Captain
Veteran: Coast GuardVeteran: Navy

Apple didn't force HD to not have Bluetooth headset profiles in the HU nor did they Force HD to make only HD branded headsets work right with the WHIM. I don't believe Apple Forced HD to remove the dealer workaround either. At the end of the day Harley wants to sell Whims. That's what made them take the functionality out of the dealer software IMO.

The following users liked this post:
Order66 (04-09-2022)
Old 04-09-2022 | 10:35 AM
lefty33
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Gorion
Apple didn't force HD to not have Bluetooth headset profiles in the HU nor did they Force HD to make only HD branded headsets work right with the WHIM. I don't believe Apple Forced HD to remove the dealer workaround either. At the end of the day Harley wants to sell Whims. That's what made them take the functionality out of the dealer software IMO.
Sure...you believe what you want. I believe Android Auto does not have the headset requirement like CarPlay does and continues to work without a WHIM or a jumper/hack of some sort.
If it was HD just wanting to sell more WHIMs, why not shut down Android Auto as well? HD does a lot of things to lock us in...not the case in this instance.
There's a couple other programmers out there (like Diag4Bike) where the workaround flash is still doable. Dealers can longer do it on theirs.

Old 04-09-2022 | 10:37 AM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member

The "functionality" that was removed from DigitalTech was specifically the ability to "Disable CarPlay Mic", meaning to disable the requirement/check for a mic to have CarPlay available... but the setting is still in the BCM and can still be accessed with a 3rd party programmer (Diag4Bike).

"Disable CarPlay Mic" was a direct violation of the agreement with Apple and CarPlay... it was removed from DigitalTech in the spring of 2020 via a software upgrade to HD's programming software.

CarPlay now works with or without WHIM, you just have to have a headset (with mic) plugged in, or with WHIM have one connected via wireless... thats a CarPlay requirement. The original software "hack" was HD violating that requirement... hence HD & Apples little dispute.

The other stuff you mentioned, I agree with, proprietary designs can suck... btw, Apple are the kings at that crap lol

lefty33 (04-09-2022)
Old 04-09-2022 | 10:41 AM
lefty33
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Ssitruc
The "functionality" that was removed from DigitalTech was specifically the ability to "Disable CarPlay Mic", meaning to disable the requirement/check for a mic to have CarPlay available... but the setting is still in the BCM and can still be accessed with a 3rd party programmer (Diag4Bike).

"Disable CarPlay Mic" was a direct violation of the agreement with Apple and CarPlay... it was removed from DigitalTech in the spring of 2020 via a software upgrade to HD's programming software.

CarPlay now works with or without WHIM, you just have to have a headset (with mic) plugged in, or with WHIM have one connected via wireless... thats a CarPlay requirement. The original software "hack" was HD violating that requirement... hence HD & Apples little dispute.

The other stuff you mentioned, I agree with, proprietary designs can suck... btw, Apple are the kings at that crap lol
Correct. You can always explain this sh*t better than I can. I was waiting for you to chime in

Old 04-09-2022 | 10:51 AM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member

With both HD and Apple it seems like that both make great products, but... there's always that thing that if it just did _____, it would be so much better, and it would be so easy to do. AND with either when you ask about it, they just look at you, like you're stupid, and say thats not what/how it's designed to do (whatever it is). I'm like yeah but it would be so much better, or cool if it did...
Just the way it goes... once it gets out to the masses, there's always other things we think of...
I figure out how to get what I want...in this situation, I have CarPlay available, I don't have to plug my phone in to the USB, I only plug a headset in IF I want to use one and if I don't it all still works...

But I get the frustration with it all...

lefty33 (04-09-2022)
Old 04-09-2022 | 11:01 AM
Gorion
Road Captain
Veteran: Coast GuardVeteran: Navy

My only point was HD doesn't need Apple to motivate them.

Old 04-09-2022 | 12:01 PM
lefty33
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Ssitruc
With both HD and Apple it seems like that both make great products, but... there's always that thing that if it just did _____, it would be so much better, and it would be so easy to do. AND with either when you ask about it, they just look at you, like you're stupid, and say thats not what/how it's designed to do (whatever it is). I'm like yeah but it would be so much better, or cool if it did...
Just the way it goes... once it gets out to the masses, there's always other things we think of...
I figure out how to get what I want...in this situation, I have CarPlay available, I don't have to plug my phone in to the USB, I only plug a headset in IF I want to use one and if I don't it all still works...

But I get the frustration with it all...
Yup! Would be so nice if our phones, communication devices (we have Cardo PackTalks), etc just seamlessly integrated with the BOOM GTS and other HD systems.

Old 04-09-2022 | 02:29 PM
mthopton
Cruiser
Veteran: Army

Here's a new one... upgraded corded headsets recently to the J&M Elite, which plugs right into the factory 7-pin on the dash of my 20RGL. Oddly, GTS/CarPlay doesn't recognize the J&M headset as a compatible, or maybe "acceptable" microphone to trigger CarPlay on the rider's jack. Here's where it get's crazy, plug the J&M into the passenger jack and CarPlay pops up. Plug it back in to the rider's jack, CarPlay goes away. Plug in the HD corded mic and it works in both positions. I have no idea what kind of ****ery is afoot with these GTS units and CarPlay. Any ideas?

Old 04-09-2022 | 02:34 PM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member

I have no idea... but I know some of the guys doing the "Pin Jumping" hack using just a 7-pin plug and shorting 2 pins, have reported it not working plugged into the riders headset jack, but it worked when plugged into the passengers jack???
I don't even have a good guess on that!

Old 04-09-2022 | 02:39 PM
lefty33
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by mthopton
Here's a new one... upgraded corded headsets recently to the J&M Elite, which plugs right into the factory 7-pin on the dash of my 20RGL. Oddly, GTS/CarPlay doesn't recognize the J&M headset as a compatible, or maybe "acceptable" microphone to trigger CarPlay on the rider's jack. Here's where it get's crazy, plug the J&M into the passenger jack and CarPlay pops up. Plug it back in to the rider's jack, CarPlay goes away. Plug in the HD corded mic and it works in both positions. I have no idea what kind of ****ery is afoot with these GTS units and CarPlay. Any ideas?
Some headsets are not compatible with CarPlay. Found this out when my HD issue 1/2 Helmet headset wouldn't allow CarPlay. I was tipped off here by another member that right in the details on the HD site it states "Not compatible with Apple Car Play".
Don't know what it is, but my Premium headset works great...1/2 helmet one not.

binarym (04-13-2022)

Quick Reply: 2021 GTS Apple Car play "Hack"