Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2021 GTS Apple Car play "Hack"

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2022 | 07:28 PM
rideonva
Road Master

I believe WHIM has to be turned on in the ECM if you have most recent software.

Old 04-05-2022 | 09:22 AM
QNman
Supporter
Supporter

Originally Posted by larry gaddie
so i bought the hack plug...plugged it in..hooked up i phone to USB...projection is on....carplay doesn't work...what am i doing wrong ? 2021 Street Glide Special.
Make sure you've got it plugged in to the correct plug. Otherwise, that's all that needs to be done. No reflash is required.

Old 04-05-2022 | 10:44 AM
lefty33
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by QNman
Make sure you've got it plugged in to the correct plug. Otherwise, that's all that needs to be done. No reflash is required.
^^^This^^^Makes sure it's plugged into the grey/white connector (same color as the jumper plug) comm plug, not the black one that some have mistakenly done.
It's the same connector that the WHIM would plug into if you had one.

Old 04-05-2022 | 03:50 PM
gobblerhuntr
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Circa58
Ok, so here is my effort :-)

What pins in this connector do you cross?? 4 and 5?

Old 04-08-2022 | 02:19 PM
Andy Knell
Cruiser

Car Play jumper related. Just thought I'd add this for the late-21 street glide special and WHIM. I just picked up a WHIM today and installed it at home. The P&A audio cable had a jumper installed which explains why Car Play worked from day one. After installing the WHIM, car play functionality ceased. When the bike was at the dealer and I was waiting on delivery, I asked them to flash it for the WHIM. Appears they didn't do that since the WHIM is just taking up space right now. Salesperson told me he tested car play and it worked before I took delivery so he assumed it was flashed for the WHIM. It's not so I'll be headed to the dealer this weekend for a flash.

So, if you have a late 2021 FLHXS, it may have the jumper installed. My bike has a September '21 birthday so IDK about earlier in the year. I doubt my dealer took the time to pull the outer fairing and install this so it's possibly coming from the factory with a jumper installed.

This looks just like the jumper everyone is paying $25 for on eBay or wherever it's available.

Old 04-08-2022 | 03:03 PM
Gorion
Road Captain
Veteran: Coast GuardVeteran: Navy

38 cent blade connector is all you need

Old 04-08-2022 | 04:41 PM
euchre98
Road Master

Originally Posted by Andy Knell
Car Play jumper related. Just thought I'd add this for the late-21 street glide special and WHIM. I just picked up a WHIM today and installed it at home. The P&A audio cable had a jumper installed which explains why Car Play worked from day one. After installing the WHIM, car play functionality ceased. When the bike was at the dealer and I was waiting on delivery, I asked them to flash it for the WHIM. Appears they didn't do that since the WHIM is just taking up space right now. Salesperson told me he tested car play and it worked before I took delivery so he assumed it was flashed for the WHIM. It's not so I'll be headed to the dealer this weekend for a flash.

So, if you have a late 2021 FLHXS, it may have the jumper installed. My bike has a September '21 birthday so IDK about earlier in the year. I doubt my dealer took the time to pull the outer fairing and install this so it's possibly coming from the factory with a jumper installed.

This looks just like the jumper everyone is paying $25 for on eBay or wherever it's available.
I bought my 21 SGS late Oct directly off the delivery truck. It didn’t have that installed.

who knows maybe York was out the day they built mine.

Old 04-08-2022 | 10:01 PM
gobblerhuntr
Road Captain

Just completed my connector to plug into the headset plug. Dug out the wiring diagram and traced the wires and it is the 3 and 5 pin I believe that I shorted to make it work on the 7 pin DIN connector. The only thing I haven't figured out yet is how to get the black rubber sleeve to stay put on the connector when unplugging it from the bike. The black rubber wants to slide up the connector when unplugging. Anybody got any ideas on that.

Old 04-09-2022 | 08:19 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

before you do that. the salesperson may be correct, it may have worked fine for him. when you are trying to get carplay working, do you have a wireless headset? is it on? if the mic isn't recognized by the headunit, carplay won't come up. that's by design from apple.

Old 04-09-2022 | 09:13 AM
lefty33
Road Warrior

Did you purchase your 21 new or used? I'd find it really hard to believe that HD would have installed this at the factory. It would definitely raise eyebrows and cause concerns at Apple if it got back to them.
After all, it was/is Apple that "forced" HD to remove the workaround...the ability for dealers to flash the HU to enable CarPlay without a headset being present.

Quick Reply: 2021 GTS Apple Car play "Hack"