Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2021 GTS Apple Car play "Hack"

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2021 | 12:51 PM
TnFatboy
Road Master

Originally Posted by lefty33
Can't say for sure as I have a Limited so the comm plug is already there in the dash panel on the tank...and nothing plugged into the grey/off white connector under the fairing. I would think it should work but can't say for certain.

Are you jumping the correct 2 terminals. If you look at post #6, I marked the 2 that are jumped with a couple of terminals and a short wire on the connector (female part) you can buy. Make sure it lines up properly with the bike (male part) connector. Maybe upside down?
Yes, I’m jumping pins #4 & 5 here’s a pic, maybe my jumper just isn’t making a good connection on both pins. I wonder if something would need to be changed in the settings on the GTS, since the PO had it set up for the comm or cb system ? Or is there a setting on my iPhone that needs to be changed? I’ve actually never used CarPlay before. In any case, I removed my speakers and grills to do a deep clean and detail on my bike and to install a lighter ( you have to take the whole right hand speaker enclosure off to put the sucker in, what a PITA) so I don’t know if I should power it up right now but I’d like to get it figured out before I put everything back together. Thanks for your help…

Mine is upside down from your picture but I double checked, it’s the same pins

Old 10-30-2021 | 01:28 PM
lefty33
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by TnFatboy
Yes, I’m jumping pins #4 & 5 here’s a pic, maybe my jumper just isn’t making a good connection on both pins. I wonder if something would need to be changed in the settings on the GTS, since the PO had it set up for the comm or cb system ? Or is there a setting on my iPhone that needs to be changed? I’ve actually never used CarPlay before. In any case, I removed my speakers and grills to do a deep clean and detail on my bike and to install a lighter ( you have to take the whole right hand speaker enclosure off to put the sucker in, what a PITA) so I don’t know if I should power it up right now but I’d like to get it figured out before I put everything back together. Thanks for your help…

I think you may have the wrong pins jumped. Look at the pic that mikes300 posted in post #6 and compare yours. I've rotated it to match yours and attached below.
Look at the "tabs" on the connecter...one is more on top, and the other a bit more on the side or corner. His is the 2nd & 3rd pin over from the tab that is more on top. I think you may need to move it over 2 pins.

The following users liked this post:
binarym (10-30-2021)
Old 10-30-2021 | 03:18 PM
TnFatboy
Road Master

Originally Posted by lefty33
I think you may have the wrong pins jumped. Look at the pic that mikes300 posted in post #6 and compare yours. I've rotated it to match yours and attached below.
Look at the "tabs" on the connecter...one is more on top, and the other a bit more on the side or corner. His is the 2nd & 3rd pin over from the tab that is more on top. I think you may need to move it over 2 pins.

Wow. I believe you are correct, Sir. I, on the other hand, am a moron. Thanks for that

Old 10-30-2021 | 04:31 PM
lefty33
Road Warrior

Wow. I believe you are correct, Sir. I, on the other hand, am a moron. Thanks for that
No worries...easy to do. We've all done it. Good luck! And once binarym receives his plug for the comm connector he can confirm if it will work as it looks like his setup is similar to yours.

Old 10-31-2021 | 09:57 AM
mikes300
Outstanding HDF Member

looks like the wrong pins

Old 10-31-2021 | 11:28 AM
TnFatboy
Road Master

They are, lefty33 beat you to it ( see post #103). I’m an idiot, or had a moment of dyslexia, or something. I tried it on the correct pins and it works like everyone said it does. Thanks though

binarym (10-31-2021)
Old 11-01-2021 | 09:31 AM
mikes300
Outstanding HDF Member

They are, lefty33 beat you to it ( see post #103). I’m an idiot, or had a moment of dyslexia, or something. I tried it on the correct pins and it works like everyone said it does. Thanks though
oh good! lol it happens to all of us

Old 11-04-2021 | 08:47 AM
binarym
Tourer
Veteran: ArmyVeteran: National Guard

Originally Posted by binarym
Just ordered this off of eBay (https://www.ebay.com/itm/294204622254) for $54 and change including tax. If this works, I am forever grateful to all of you who have contributed to this thread. I will keep you all posted.
All: In conjunction with posts #90, #96, and #98. I am happy to report that the adapter I bought off of eBay indeed does work. I would like to thank all of you who posted to this thread. I can't tell you how awesome it is to be able to use Carplay without having to use my headset all the time. But, at the same time if I want to use my headset I still can and as a bonus the Carplay works then too. For me, I find this a much better solution than having to use the adapter that plugs into the WHIM interface in the fairing. So I dropped in a few pics. If anyone has any questions feel free to reach out. I also want to thank everyone. Thank you. I am totally psyc'd.

Adapter plugged into comm port on my tank

Carplay engaged without headset plugged in.

Side view of adapter

Pin view of adapter

lefty33 (11-04-2021)
Old 11-04-2021 | 06:33 PM
TnFatboy
Road Master

Good deal I’ve been watching this thread, waiting to see if it worked for you. I was gonna post last night and ask you but I figured you hadn’t gotten the adapter yet. Thanks for confirming that it works, I emailed the seller the other day to see if he had any made up and ready to ship and he said he does, so I’ll be placing my order tomorrow. Again, thanks for the follow up !

The following 2 users liked this post by TnFatboy:
binarym (11-07-2021), lefty33 (11-05-2021)
Old 04-04-2022 | 07:00 PM
larry gaddie
Tourer
Default apple carplay hack

so i bought the hack plug...plugged it in..hooked up i phone to USB...projection is on....carplay doesn't work...what am i doing wrong ? 2021 Street Glide Special.

Quick Reply: 2021 GTS Apple Car play "Hack"