Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing detachable passenger backrest?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 06:42 PM
bdavis
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Installing detachable passenger backrest?

Has anyone installed a detachable backrest on a StreetGlide? At the risk of sounding like a complete doofus, I admit that I can't figure it out. The instructions they gave me are for several different things and the diagrams have all the mounts together with no real way to know what is for what. Pics would be excellent.

Thanks,
Barry

Old 08-02-2007, 06:45 PM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Installing detachable passenger backrest?

The best advice I can give you, even though I hate giving this advice, is do a search on "docking hardware". You will find several threads on the subject and how people have overcome this PITA installation.

Old 08-02-2007, 07:18 PM
StreetglideOK
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just put one on last weekend. The destructions suck. Searching will net that result. Favorite means I found, drinking a 6pack min of your favorite brew, no kids around for the cussing and swearing, and throwing. What I learned, ignore the stupid instructions, follow the picture to an extent, and tinker. When loosening the two torx head screws in the back, do not remove them at the same time, or itll make things harder when it all shifts on you. I ended up re-installing the rear saddlebag mount in the same location sans a spacer as the pic showed. Everything clears. Do some searching though, someone has pics posted.

Old 08-02-2007, 07:30 PM
bikerdog
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put one on my FLHT 4 yrs. ago . The directions S##K big time!
But be calm take your time don't tighten nothing till you are finsh make sure the backrest fits

Old 08-02-2007, 09:14 PM
Justa5o
Cruiser

great, and I was gonna get the setup this weekend and put it on. Maybe I will see how much thedealership charges to install....may be worth the headache this time.

Old 08-02-2007, 09:17 PM
lv2gld
Intermediate

bring it to the stealer, go to nearest pub for a couple ... hours, done. glider out

Old 08-02-2007, 10:21 PM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: Justa5o

great, and I was gonna get the setup this weekend and put it on. Maybe I will see how much thedealership charges to install....may be worth the headache this time.
Do it yourself. It is a pain but once you get around the stupid instructions it is actually pretty simple. Dealer quoted someone I know $250 to install the docking hardware. I can think of alot of other things I could spend $250 on.

Old 08-02-2007, 10:34 PM
chiabate
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My dealer was reasonable enough, I let them do it. But then, someone pointed out how easy it was for someone else to quick-detach it too! $30 some odd, gets you the lock kit. Well worth it IMHO.

Old 08-02-2007, 10:53 PM
GAWSHoG
Cruiser

I put one on my 04 Road King last week. It was a bitch and I ended up having to bend the bar in about a 1/2 inch before it would fit. But then it clicked in place pretty easily.

Old 08-03-2007, 12:24 AM
Smitty
Cruiser

I just did this a week ago and you're absolutely correct. The more I read the instruction the more confused I became so I finally ended up using only the diagram, which helped along with the web site listed below. Even though you have a Street Glide vs. an Ultra I would imagine the hardware kit might be the same type of install. Good luck!

http://linuxworx.org/HD/UltraDetach3.htm

Quick Reply: Installing detachable passenger backrest?