Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing detachable passenger backrest?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 02:04 AM
SoCalRyder
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Installing detachable passenger backrest?

I have installed the docking hardware for the backrest twice now. Once on my 2001 FLHRP and just last week on my new 07 FLHR. It had been so long since I did it the first time,I forgot just how poor the instructions for the docking hardware were. Had to look at everything for a couple of hours before I figured it out again. Once I figured it out it was fast and easy. Here is a pic of the docking hardware installed on my 07 FLHR. Hope it helps.

Ride Safe

[IMG]local://upfiles/38319/DDEBADEF2A7F40499FD5EACA7A09ED97.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-03-2007, 09:41 AM
bdavis
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for your help.

For anyone else needing help with this, I found these helpful step-by-step instructions on this forum:
http://www.moatsfamily.com/Docking_Station_Install.pdf

Old 08-03-2007, 11:05 AM
XXXRacing
Road Warrior

SoCalRyder..it looks like you are missing the little flat stock piece that connects the two docking points...could be wrong though.

Old 08-03-2007, 11:54 AM
07RoadGlide
Banned

ORIGINAL: bdavis

Thanks for your help.

For anyone else needing help with this, I found these helpful step-by-step instructions on this forum:
http://www.moatsfamily.com/Docking_Station_Install.pdf
Glad they were of help. I cussed a lot and hoped that by documenting the installthey'd help out. HD instructions suck.

Old 08-03-2007, 03:41 PM
gregorysfd
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This a little off the subject but involves a quick detachable tour pack. Does anyone know if any one makes a quick detachable sissy bar that would work with the tour pack quick detachable mount.

Old 08-05-2007, 02:33 AM
07RoadGlide
Banned

gregorysfd,

Not sure on this one. I think the tourpack actually uses the same docking station, just a different mounting point. I'd be interested also. I'd love to be able to change between a tourpack and the regular sissybar. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Old 08-05-2007, 03:31 AM
olgreydog7
Road Captain

Some clamps help too. I had to use clamps to twist the fender/mounting points around to get them to line up. Find a buddy to help out too. I did it once by myself, but it didn't quiteline up and it didn't hold. Got a friend to help the next time. Now everything is in there right. Now I know why people sell the sissy bar on ebay, but not their docking hardware.

Old 08-05-2007, 03:37 AM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,415 Posts

ORIGINAL: 07RoadGlide

gregorysfd,

Not sure on this one. I think the tourpack actually uses the same docking station, just a different mounting point. I'd be interested also. I'd love to be able to change between a tourpack and the regular sissybar. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
They have different docking points. The sissy bar uses part # 53803-06, the detachable tour pak mount uses part# 53804-06 (in the process of ordering a tour pak myself for my Glide, and already have the detachable passenger sissy bar installed.)

Old 08-05-2007, 09:23 AM
pkenyon1
Road Captain

What framework is under the tour pack box?

it would be nice to replace it so that it could then just clip onto the sissy bar backrest mounting kit, instead of having to have its own!

Only HD would sell you two different mounts and two different installations to in effect perform the same task!

Maybe though its a weight issue, maybe the back rest mount will not support a filled tourpack box and person leaning...

That said I have seen some fat ***'s riding pillion using a back rest only, that baby sure can take some weight!!!! LOL

Old 08-05-2007, 11:42 AM
twistedcherokee
Road Warrior
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

I stopped in yeaterday to check on a backrest to fit my detachable TP and the salesman didn't say anything about it won't use the same docking station. But he did give me these part #'s 52933-97B Backrest kit, low- detach 97/LT 53804-06 Docking kit & 52708-97B Pillow Backrest

Toby

Quick Reply: Installing detachable passenger backrest?