Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle Lock Lever

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 07:13 PM
rustyrun
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Throttle Lock Lever

I am paranoid of accidently engaging this while riding. I see if you roll on the throttle it will move the lever counterclockwise (off) if your hand came in touch with the lever. Rolling off the throttle could possibly engage this lever. Is this any factor or is this completely out of the way unless you want to engage/disengage?

I saw a HD salesman accidently open the throttle on one of those grip mount paddles that you rest your hand on while riding and these even though so cool got me wondering.

Old 08-03-2007, 05:16 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,371 Likes on 2,543 Posts

ORIGINAL: Tech2

ORIGINAL: 1bgrd1

just use the starwheel on the throttle between the two cables
Well, as a self-proclaimed cheap bastard, that is as cheap as it gets and that's what I've been doing, but I would prefer the one-hand solution.
huh? i think you just need more practice using it. i don't use mine that often, but i can lock and unlock it with just my thumb.....

Old 08-04-2007, 12:05 AM
btefft
Outstanding HDF Member

Seems risky to me to use the throttle lock as a cruise control. I had one on my 03 Low Rider, but only used it to warm up the engine on cold days. With a true cruiuse control, one tap on the brake and its off - not so with the throttle lock. I read how many of you all can get to it fast, but when that deer steps out or the car in front hits its brakes - I don't know if you'll have time to spin the loc off. Just my $.02 worth.

You guys who use them, be careful.

Hack

Hack

Old 08-04-2007, 12:44 AM
thall
Road Master

i just use the star wheel with some of the idiots u have on the road these days i wouldnt want both hands off for very long anyway!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-04-2007, 01:49 AM
twistedcherokee
Road Warrior
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

I madea throttle locker for mine and will post picks later. Cost me .88 and about 15 min. You Don't have to put it on so tight that the throttle won't move. Just grab and twist. I have CC but it doesn't work and I broke my foot so I don't feel like going thru the speal to find out why, to cheap to take it to the dealer. Took a # 10 thumb screw and a section of 5/16 steeltube, smashed the tube flat after I cut a slot to fit over the thumb screw, then drilled and screwed it to the thumb screw. Once I paint it black and finish grinding it, shouldn't look to bad.
Toby

Old 08-04-2007, 09:20 AM
Tech2
Tourer

ORIGINAL: btefft

Seems risky to me to use the throttle lock as a cruise control. I had one on my 03 Low Rider, but only used it to warm up the engine on cold days. With a true cruiuse control, one tap on the brake and its off - not so with the throttle lock. I read how many of you all can get to it fast, but when that deer steps out or the car in front hits its brakes - I don't know if you'll have time to spin the loc off. Just my $.02 worth.

Hack

Hack
You're right, but my intention is to only use it on the interstate and only if there it little or no traffic. Also, I'm in Michigan where most of the freeways are flat and straight. I would never think about using a throttle lock on a crowded freeway. I just wanted something that could be set with a flick of the thumb to rest my throttle hand for a couple of minutes. I'm pretty sure that I could manually throttle down for a deer but really, if a deer jumps out in front of you, throttle lock or not, you have a problem.

Old 08-04-2007, 11:01 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,371 Likes on 2,543 Posts

Hack

Hack
the trick is not to torque it down so tight that you can't move the throttle. just give it enough resistance that it won't snap back when you release but you can easily twist it back. but with either throttle lock or cruise control (in my cars), i don't use them in crowded traffic.

Old 08-04-2007, 11:12 AM
ragingbull
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: skratch

Hack

Hack
the trick is not to torque it down so tight that you can't move the throttle. just give it enough resistance that it won't snap back when you release but you can easily twist it back. but with either throttle lock or cruise control (in my cars), i don't use them in crowded traffic.
Exactly, that way you don't mess with it at all in an emergency you just roll your throttle by hand. I don't think too many people let go of their throttle to allow the spring to throttle down.

Old 08-04-2007, 09:48 PM
twistedcherokee
Road Warrior
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Here are some pics of a quick & cheap way.

[IMG]local://upfiles/19164/2689FAFB72BD42C599F1CC0E4F44D974.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/19164/5F692A63C99449999262C9F21ED0577A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-05-2007, 09:08 PM
btefft
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Urbanbronco

ORIGINAL: skratch

Hack

Hack
Exactly, that way you don't mess with it at all in an emergency you just roll your throttle by hand. I don't think too many people let go of their throttle to allow the spring to throttle down.
Okay, I understand what you guys are using it for - just to assist you in holding speed, not screwed down so tight that you have no control over the throttle.

Hack

Quick Reply: Throttle Lock Lever