Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED Lights for Motorcycles

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 11:04 PM
roadkingbigjoe
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: LED Lights for Motorcycles

I have the HD lights in blue, yes the are illegal but every cop(and I know and related to quite a few) dont have a problem as long as they dont flash or point forward or back. Accually a state trooper told me if the cant see the light its self, just the blue cast off the crome that they are legal, its like blue dash lights you can see the blue glow but the light its self isnt facing front or back.

Old 08-04-2007, 08:56 AM
beyondthepaint
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: LED Lights for Motorcycles

ORIGINAL: tphillips

ORIGINAL: beyondthepaint

I run blue LEDs on my Fatboy, local cops here in GA don't have a problem with them as long as they are not flashing or forward facing. But get out there on the streets showing your butt, and its one more ticket they can add on to the other ones you are getting.
I just finished putting a set of green ones on a local cops personal bike. He saw my blue ones, and instead of a hassle, I got a customer. Gotta love the LEO's that ride!

I use LEDs from streetsourceleds.com not the cheapest by no means, but the best by far! Only 5 tiny LEDs on my fattie, fewer LEDs make tons more light, and because they are so small. they are easier to hide. (properly installed, you should not see the actual light source, only the glow)
Where did you place them such that 5 was all you needed? I assume 1 under the seat, 1 in the breather, 1 in the horn cover, and 1-2 under the tank? Details, please.... TIA
I put one in the rear fender to light up the back end, one under the front and back of each tank. (four corners) because the underside of the tanks have an indention, the lights are well hidden. The LEDs attach easily with 3M tape (already installed on the LED, just peel & stick) Because I attached mine directly to the underside of the tank, I added quick-connects, in case the tanks need to be removed for any reason. These LEDs cast light out at 180 degrees,and the chrome reflects it everywhere!

When I first saw the price of these, I thought "too much", but the install was considerably faster.Less light pods means less labor, and a lot less wires. Makes for a neater job. Also used a Kuryakyn pulse switch with a reostat, so I can control the flash speed as well.

Heres a tip to help in light placement. Itape a light to apiece of wire (tig welding rod) hook it to a 9 volt battery and you can position the light without your hands interferring with the glow. This way you can better see if you have best light placement.