Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crankshaft Bearing Issue??

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2021, 08:23 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,166 Likes on 4,385 Posts

Originally Posted by cgsmitty
I found out Darkhorse Crankworks is only 1 1/2 hour from my location. Will try to schedule an appointment with them tomorrow to inspect the crank and case. They also do Timken bearing case upgrades. Unbelievable that you have to throw money at something that should have lasted 3 or 4 times longer.

Can't go wrong with Darkhorse Crankworks.... They do excellent work.... and have a stellar reputation

I've never had to split my cases, but I know if/when that time comes, I'll be shipping my bottom end to Darkhorse..

Let us know what they say....

The following users liked this post:
slippin_jimmy (03-22-2021)
Old 03-23-2021, 08:15 PM
cgsmitty
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was at Darkhorse Crankworks today and they are a great group of people! I got to see where the work is done and my case and crank are about the 20th one in line to be processed. They had a lot of completed work that was awaiting pickup. They are going to blueprint and balance crankshaft, weld crankpin, replace pinion shaft half, race and bearings, and other parts and then assemble everything. They have to check lifter wear to see if that needs reworked and new lifters. Earliest that can be inspected is about 5 days and they are running about 25 days to get to and complete mine. Told them no rush as I trailer my bike to Vegas at the beginning of April for one of our two annual rides. In 2019 we made it into Canada to run the Alaskan Highway but snow in the Yukon stopped that. We were going to try again last year in mid July but Covid stopped us from entering Canada and will probably do so again this year. So we will just tour the west and go wherever the urge sends us. Btw, good price from Darkhorse for all the work they are doing.

The following users liked this post:
hattitude (03-23-2021)