Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustang Touring Seat...Looking for advice!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2021 | 04:51 AM
dajogejr
Road Warrior

My super wide touring puts me “in” the bike more than on top of and sets me back I believe 1.75 inch.
Mustangs are all I’ve run, and yes they’re stiff for a few hundred miles, we’re lucky to have such high quality roads here in Michigan so my break in time was cut down severely.. (total sarcasm about quality roads...)

I’ve sat on buddy’s bikes with LePera and Corbin. They look nicer for sure, but just not as comfy as my Mustang.
Their removable back rest is nice as well...if I’m just tooling around town, quick remove and throw it in the tour pack.

I even had a mustang on my old metric cruiser. Another benefit is the super wide passenger seat for the misses.

The following users liked this post:
DinoM (03-21-2021)
Old 03-17-2021 | 05:03 AM
Adam76
Road Master

Originally Posted by dajogejr
My super wide touring puts me “in” the bike more than on top of and sets me back I believe 1.75 inch.
Mustangs are all I’ve run, and yes they’re stiff for a few hundred miles, we’re lucky to have such high quality roads here in Michigan so my break in time was cut down severely.. (total sarcasm about quality roads...)

I’ve sat on buddy’s bikes with LePera and Corbin. They look nicer for sure, but just not as comfy as my Mustang.
Their removable back rest is nice as well...if I’m just tooling around town, quick remove and throw it in the tour pack.

I even had a mustang on my old metric cruiser. Another benefit is the super wide passenger seat for the misses.

my mistake! I thought you had the touring low down seat. That's what I'm looking at. 👍

DinoM (03-21-2021)
Old 03-17-2021 | 07:29 AM
MCSarge
Outstanding HDF Member

I did the lay the seat on the floor and walk on it trick before. I looked at it not so much in breaking in the foam, but stretching out the cover on the seat to allow the foam to be felt. When the seat is assembled they stretch that cover pretty good and it takes a while to get it to stretch out and relax so you can start feeling the actual foam on the seat doing its job. Think about making a bed so tight you can bounce a quarter off of it. You didn't change the density of the mattress you just tightened the covers to get the reaction you wanted. As always just my .02. Enjoy your new seat.....

DinoM (03-21-2021)
Old 03-17-2021 | 07:42 AM
sanman4ever
Club Member
Riders Club Member

You should consider a riders back rest too. Makes a huge difference

The following 2 users liked this post by sanman4ever:
billgran (03-17-2021), TennesseeRoadGlide (03-17-2021)
Old 03-21-2021 | 09:30 AM
DinoM
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by sanman4ever
You should consider a riders back rest too. Makes a huge difference
Oh absolutely with you 100% there!!! That was one of the first things I did even with the stock seat... adjustable rider's backrest! Won't ride without it. Especially after back surgery two years ago.

Old 03-21-2021 | 09:44 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member

Super tour on my 07 flhtc and works great. Yes it’s a bit firm but the firmness held the burn actually. I can’t fit one on my 14 trike so I will order a Ultimate tall boy ...

Old 03-21-2021 | 10:42 AM
Rob175
Road Warrior

All of the "LOW DOWN" type seats (stock HD "low" or the Mustang "low" etc) that I've tried tend to crush "my boys"...lol. I rode my 2015 Ultra Limited Low with it's "low" seat and after a few miles I decided it placed me TOO low (5'8" w/29" inseam). So I tried a stock HD seat which comes on all standard Ultra Limited's and found it was a perfect combination with my Ultra Low and I could easily flat foot at stops. I rode that way for 4 years, until I opted to buy a slightly used Mustang Standard Wide Touring seat that had a thinner nose section than the HS seatand it's a good fit for me. I've had mustang seats on other cycles before, so I knew they were firmer but also knew for most Firmer is better than soft in the long run. (I know that seems contrary but most agree, firmer is better than softer except in the showroom...lol)

That's my 2 cents. But I also agree that Mean City DOES do a good job at reworking seats if desired and at reasonable prices. Good luck.

Old 03-22-2021 | 07:16 AM
badjujumatt
Advanced

I Design automotive seats, I am very picky with the seat on my SGS. A few things first, I agree with everyone here that has commented that each seat may or may not work for you. There are a lot of factors involved in seat comfort, a few of them are the seat profile, the inseam of the rider, the amount of foam on the seat pan, the type of foam, the width of the seat compared to each person, etc etc etc. I have a Mustang Super Tour and it would take a lot for me to move to another seat. I had a few seats that looked awesome, high quality leather, stitching, just amazing looking seats....but I couldnt ride for 45 minutes without serious pain (I do have back issues). My only knock on the Mustang is the cover material, for the amount they charge it should be wrapped in some quality leather with some thick robust stitching.

If I were looking, I would be checking out Mustang Deluxe Super Tour & Saddlemen Road Sofa. The Deluxe Mustang Super Tour...it has stitching on the seat insert which will help with wrinkles down the road. I have never tried the RS, but it has the profile that I would want. Hope this helps.

DinoM (03-24-2021)
Old 03-24-2021 | 06:07 PM
DinoM
|
Tourer

So my update on the Mustang....
I've only ridden it about a hundred miles so far....
1. My wife has no problem with it which is win #1. I thought the narrower passenger seat would be a problem but she says it still covers both sides of her butt. She also had the same concern about it being firmer than the stock seat but she likes it
2. Despite my original concerns about it being a tad too stiff, I do notice my backside definitely has a better connection to the bike. The stock seat always felt like I was sitting on a big pillow. It feels really comfy when you sit on it. And it stays comfy for anywhere from about 50-100 miles until the foam finally compresses and you end up sitting on the seat pan. I believe that's where the a**burn starts to set in.
WIth the Mustang, I just feel like I have a better connection to the bike. I don't know if it's psychosomatic or not but I feel like I can control the bike better with my butt. It doesn't feel like I'm sitting on this big fluffy pillow between me and the bike resulting in a sort of disconnect there.
Anyways... as most of you suggested, I'm giving it time. I think this is going to work out guys!
Again, thanks for everyone's input on this. I'm starting to see the light!