Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustang Touring Seat...Looking for advice!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2021 | 07:49 AM
TheMurf
Grand HDF Member
Default Mustang Seats

A firm seat is what you want on long rides.Support. The reason people's *** gets sore and their tail bone hurts is a soft seat. Go sit in a new Mercedes or BMW, the seats are always very firm.. You can ride in them for 1,000 miles in a day no problem. Saddlemen,Corbin, Mustang, LePera, Russell Day Long, Terry's Custom Seats, Tom Simmons Originals, Seth Laam, Ultimate for instance all are very firm and much heavier than the sock seat due to the density of foams they use. If ,you like to ride long distances, get a firm seat preferably one made for your height and weight Mustang makes a good seat for an off the shelf seat. I have owned two of their seats over the years.Though not custom built to your height and weight, they are a step better than stock for sure IMHO. They also use a metal base pan which adds to the firmness since they do not flex like a plastic pan.

The following 3 users liked this post by TheMurf:
DinoM (03-15-2021), Duracell (03-17-2021), Robertashby (03-18-2021)
Old 03-13-2021 | 08:15 AM
billgran
Tourer
Veteran: Army

I've had Mustang seats on several bikes and years back a factory rep said to lay the seat on a towel on the floor and walk on it in stocking feet. The cell walls of the foam have to be broken in with movement and this way saves several hundred miles of sitting on it to break it in.

The following users liked this post:
DinoM (03-15-2021)
Old 03-13-2021 | 08:21 AM
JakeC7R
Road Master

I have a Mustang on my softy and find it to be as others described. A little firm but comfortable enough, especially with the backrest. On the Road Glide I have a Harley Hammock for when the wife rides with me, which is super comfortable - more comfortable than the Mustang - but it is ugly as sin. When I am solo I use the stock seat I had modified by Mean City. I would say that one is about as comfortable as the Mustang seat but thinner.

You said you want a seat that you and the wife will like, and if you can get past the thickness - you might want to try a demo Harley Hammock at the dealer. They let you try them out for free. If you like it you can always find a buyer for the Mustang, people are always on the hunt for the perfect seat. Best of luck on your search!

DinoM (03-15-2021)
Old 03-13-2021 | 08:55 AM
DinoM
|
Tourer

Thanks so much for the insight and experiences guys! Sounds like I need to give this seat some time and see. Like I said, I've never had an aftermarket seat. I've always just relied on stock. In my mid 50s now and my wife and I are doing more and more long rides and want to be comfortable. I'm so glad I didn't buy something new though... I think the course of action here will be to try this seat out this summer and possibly see about buying something new, that will put us in a riding position that we prefer more. Hopefully bike events will open up this year and we can hit some of the seat manufacturers trailers to try out some other seats as well.
THIS is why I love this forum!!!

Thanks everyone!

The following 5 users liked this post by DinoM:
blap (03-15-2021), dgarber12771 (03-15-2021), JakeC7R (03-16-2021), MyFavRk (03-18-2021), Robertashby (03-18-2021)
Old 03-16-2021 | 06:05 AM
pingman68
Road Master

I ordered a Mustang seat at bike week a few years ago. I went through their custom department and got the solo seat, separate passenger pillon, and sissy bar pad all with custom double diamond stitching. When it finally came in, I put it on the bike and went for a ride. I immediately thought I had made a very expensive mistake, but after 500 miles or so, it has become a very comfortable seat. Just have to give it a little time, they’re great seats....

The following 2 users liked this post by pingman68:
dgarber12771 (03-16-2021), DinoM (03-21-2021)
Old 03-16-2021 | 10:48 AM
Puglia10
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by DinoM
Thanks so much for the insight and experiences guys! Sounds like I need to give this seat some time and see. Like I said, I've never had an aftermarket seat. I've always just relied on stock. In my mid 50s now and my wife and I are doing more and more long rides and want to be comfortable. I'm so glad I didn't buy something new though... I think the course of action here will be to try this seat out this summer and possibly see about buying something new, that will put us in a riding position that we prefer more. Hopefully bike events will open up this year and we can hit some of the seat manufacturers trailers to try out some other seats as well.
THIS is why I love this forum!!!

Thanks everyone!
I think once it breaks in a bit youll like it....but I am local (northern MA, in laconia area a lot) so if you decide you want to sell please let me know! Id be interested for sure.

DinoM (03-21-2021)
Old 03-16-2021 | 10:59 AM
RGS88
Road Warrior

I thought my Mustang seat, despite being a bit stiffer, was very comfortable on the 100 mile ride I used it. I just couldn't get over the new riding position (at least 1" higher than stock).

DinoM (03-21-2021)
Old 03-16-2021 | 05:48 PM
FL-kruzen
Road Master

Mustang is one of the best seats to get. When I got mine and installed it but it was a little too tall. I sent it to Mean City Cycles and had it lowered. They are really nice seats. It will be fine since you break it in. The Corbin seat is hard as a rock and it never broke in. The problem nowadays is these seats are so dang expensive! Find a good local upholstery by asking your local dealer and they can work wonders on stock Harley seats.

DinoM (03-21-2021)
Old 03-16-2021 | 08:47 PM
AussieDog
Road Master

Over the years I've gotten good advice on the Forum, and true to form its delivered again. To summarize: remove your new Mustang seat and carefully put it on a clean towel on the floor. Then, have your wife beat you in the *** with a softball bat for 20 minutes, have her take a break if needed. Then carefully remount your seat, it will take your mind off the pain. In five days, after the open sores heal over, take your bike for a ride with its new broke-in seat. You will never ever want another new seat again!

The following 3 users liked this post by AussieDog:
DinoM (03-21-2021), grifmeister (03-23-2021), TennesseeRoadGlide (03-17-2021)
Old 03-17-2021 | 04:02 AM
Adam76
Road Master

Originally Posted by dgarber12771
My new-to-me 2011 FLHX-103 wasn't in my possession for more than 24 hours before I ordered a new Mustang Low Touring for it.
Hey dgarber, how do you like your mustang low touring seat? I'm considering it, but concerned it would be even firmer than normal mustang firm because there would be less padding under you... how did you find it? Was the lower back support also better?

Thanks for sharing

DinoM (03-21-2021)

Quick Reply: Mustang Touring Seat...Looking for advice!