Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stalled Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007 | 10:53 AM
Blues Guy
|
Cruiser
Default Stalled Purchase

After 2 RK's and an Ultra, spent last year on a Wing. Bike had no soul, sold it and was in the process of shopping for an '07 or '08 EGC. But after reading about all of the heat/tranny issues and mods necessary to make the bike "rideable" I'm fast losing my inital enthusiasm. Have even started looking at low mileage 06's to avoid all of the problems. Am I reacting to a vocal minority or setting my expectations too high? Other than the lousy riding position of the RK's I've owned, I never felt compelled to make major modifications right out of the chute.

Old 08-01-2007 | 11:06 AM
peddler
Club Member
Default RE: Stalled Purchase

I own an '07 FLHTCU that after 10 months I am very satisfied with. I could spend paragraphs outlining my 10 month journey from hating my bike to where I am now.,,no plans to trade or sell...just ride.

Bottom line:
I believe there are bike owners that have issues with their '07 model.
I believe there are bike owners that wouldn't trade their '07 for any amount of money.
There are 38,000+ members of this forum.
MOCO built 359,000+ '07's.

Do the math.

Ride the '07you want to buy before purchasing it or wait and see what the story is with the '08's.

Old 08-01-2007 | 11:10 AM
UltraDuke
Outstanding HDF Member

All bikes bone stock out of the dealer are rideable. Are they comfortable, match up to your style or liking? Probably not. Thats what i like about my bike, I am riding it stock for a while to get a basic feel for her, then little by little i tailor the bike to my liking and comfort level.

Old 08-01-2007 | 11:12 AM
buckweet
Road Captain

ahhh know what you mean... my 03' is pretty hot.....wishing now i had of kept my 03' wing.... lots better motor and no heat..... but ? on the other hand, the harley fits better....(sigh)......

gonna try and work around the heat issue...oil cooler , true duals, heat tape, ect, any thing else i can think of..
but ??? why have to do all of that ? on a almost new bike ? maybe the wing dont have the soul of a harley, but it works well. and a good bike.

after all the heat off my harley this last past weekend... im just not a very big harley fan today... just in a blue mood...
i'll get over it somehow, and try to fix it....

[X(]weet[X(]

Old 08-01-2007 | 11:16 AM
drdiesel1
Road Captain

I just bought an 07 S/G. I have 2000 miles in 2 weeks. No heat problem or chatter problems. No regrets what so ever.
This bike runs perfect. I`m a 3 time H/D owner. Had a 00 F/B and an 02 FLHRCI.
I think there maybe a problem with some bikes, but no one has tracked down or explained the noise they hear.
They are just complaining about it. If mine had a noise I would at least isolate it to a component before I took it in and told the dealer it makes noise. I think there might be an issue with the self adjusting primary chain adjuster on some bikes. Without someone with this noise being able to verify where its coming from we may never know.
As far as heat goes...Its air cooled, so if you stopped it will throw off heat from the head an pipes...Normal..Might be a little more heat due to the lean-burning condition to help clean up emissions, but it`s not a problem with the bike...It a normal operating characteristic.
The more stringent the emissions the higher the burn temps go...Wait until the cats on the 08 get hot....
Converters lite off at 600 degrees...[8D]
Looks like all bikes will start having converters too.
Could the MoCo have helped to control heat better...Yes, with oil coolers as a production base installation. Not an option, but you know as well as I do...It`s all about the money.[:@]
Lets put a band-aid on it and save a million, make everyone mad and fix it later.
I will alter my bike anyway, so I`m not worried about it. The oil cooler and mixture control will be part of the air box, pipes and performance changes I haveplaned. Good luck with whatever you purchase. I myself will not let some small issue`s stop me from enjoying my new S/G. Easily corrected and should make it sound and run better at the same time. See you on the Road sometime.
Enjoy and happy motoring......................[sm=biker.gif]

Old 08-01-2007 | 12:08 PM
Hoss1960
Novice

I have 7,400 on my 07 FLHTC. Bought it new in May. No issues at all. I did do the stage 1 last week. I will be on my first long ride leaving tonight for 14 days, since the upgrade. I could have left it stock, but what is the fun in that.

I love 6th gear.

Old 08-01-2007 | 12:14 PM
SIM
Outstanding HDF Member

No matter what you purchase from HD there will be issues. Just choose which issues you are willing to accept and which ones you can change. Face it, if MoCo did not incorporate flaws in their bikes we would not have anything to b*tch about and that would be boring. oh wait, they already have that bike, it's called a gold wing.

Old 08-01-2007 | 12:35 PM
flht69
Cruiser

I'm happy with my 07 FLHT. I will be changing pipes and installing the PC III but it has nothing to do with problems the bike has. I say go for it...

Old 08-01-2007 | 12:39 PM
RDM
Road Master

ORIGINAL: simcom
Face it, if MoCo did not incorporate flaws in their bikes we would not have anything to b*tch about and that would be boring. oh wait, they already have that bike, it's called a gold wing.
I've still got an 03 wing and you shouldn't believe there aren't flaws with wings. Overheating, decel steering wobble and frame cracking are just a few of the issues that come to mind. Nothing like a good frame crack in a cross member weld to get the excitement going.

Old 08-01-2007 | 01:28 PM
tizone
Tourer

I loooooooooooooove my 07 Ultra! [sm=drlove.gif][sm=loveeyes.gif][sm=smiley17.gif][sm=smiley31.gif][sm=TY.gif][sm=yeahsmile.gif]

Quick Reply: Stalled Purchase