Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stalled Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007 | 07:37 PM
racklefratz
Road Master
Default RE: Stalled Purchase

ORIGINAL: Tech2
You don't indicate if you've ever actually ridden a Harley Davidson bike, or if you are basing your decision on what you've read here.
I don't indicate a lot of things about myself, by design. But as it turns out, I owned a Superglide and a TourGlide, prolly 30 or more years ago. Different technology, different bikes? Of course. But, I'm not a stranger to Harleys, and let's not loose sight of the fact that Harleys haven't changed nearly as much in that time span as nearly everything else in the world has. And I bet I've been riding longer than you have, some 50 years, for a reality-check.

That's cool, then don't get one. But at least make sure you areNOT getting one for the right reasons, not strictly based of a perception after reading some complaints here.It seems that you may have some misconceptions about the bikes
Well, for the record, I'm intensely interested in the '08 Ultra Classics, with the changes they bring from the '07 models, which are numerous, and significant. But, if what you suggest is to ignore all the posts right here on this forum from owners of '07 model-year tourers about all the overheating issues, oil leaks, clanking/clattering/noisy/whining transmissions....etc, etc, as not being credible, I'm just not willing to do that. Why do these people take their time to post these issues? Don't you believe them? Do you think the issues don't exist?

You absolutely do NOT have to spend one cent after buying the biketo 'hang a bunch of aftermarket stuff...just to get it to run acceptably well'. They run acceptably well out of the box.
I have some problems believing that, when every post here on this forum from someone who just bought a new HD tourer is inquiring about what he now needs to buy to get his new bike to run right. Consistently, the response is, remap the A/F to get the mixture right, buy a set of aftermarket pipes, and, yada, yada, yada. That kinda' tells the story, at least for the '07s. Early reports on the '08 owners are promising. There aren't many yet, but those I've seen tend to indicate that the '08s have quieter transmissions and different cams which might deal with the overheating problems.

It's too soon to tell. Are they perfect? Of course not, but neither is a Gold Wing, or any other bike.
Right. But, and you can take this to the bank, meaning, it's absolute fact, once the frame weld recall was done on my '04 Wing, all I've ever done is change the oil and RIDE it. Period. No screwing around with A/F stuff, "true duals", "slip-ons", none of that crap. Just ride it-like a Buick. That's the way it should be.

Old 08-08-2007 | 08:05 PM
Tech2
Tourer

And I bet I've been riding longer than you have, some 50 years, for a reality-check.
You got me by 10 years, dad, which by the way, has no bearing whatsoever on the 'issues' you are discussing.

But, if what you suggest is to ignore all the posts right here on this forum from owners of '07 model-year tourers about all the overheating issues, oil leaks, clanking/clattering/noisy/whining transmissions....etc, etc, as not being credible, I'm just not willing to do that. Why do these people take their time to post these issues? Don't you believe them? Do you think the issues don't exist?
I'm suggesting nothing of the sort. I'll assume you've been reading for at least 10-years longer than I also, and should be able to understand this:

What I'm saying is that the posts here will be skewed in a negative direction. It's the nature of a message board. People GENERALLY do no seek out a message board unless the are having a problem. Take it with a grain of salt.

Besides, I'm sure I could go to a Gold Wing message board and find a like number of complaints.

I have some problems believing that, when every post here on this forum from someone who just bought a new HD tourer is inquiring about what he now needs to buy to get his new bike to run right. Consistently, the response is, remap the A/F to get the mixture right, buy a set of aftermarket pipes, and, yada, yada, yada. That kinda' tells the story, at least for the '07s. Early reports on the '08 owners are promising. There aren't many yet, but those I've seen tend to indicate that the '08s have quieter transmissions and different cams which might deal with the overheating problems.
Believe what you want, but I know for a FACT that my bike ran fine from the day I picked it up. It's an 06, however there a tons of complaints about those as well regarding similar issues (heat, being too lean, having to add this-or-that to it to make it right). Untrue, in my experience. The ONLY reason I added an air cleaner and slip-on mufflers was to make my bike sound like a Harley. Along with that comes fuel management. It's no different than having to change a needle in a carb bike, just much more costly. But the bike ran fine out of the box. No oil leaks, no tranny issues, nothing.

Right. But, and you can take this to the bank, meaning, it's absolute fact, once the frame weld recall was done on my '04 Wing, all I've ever done is change the oil and RIDE it. Period. No screwing around with A/F stuff, "true duals", "slip-ons", none of that crap. Just ride it-like a Buick. That's the way it should be.
Likewise with my bike, except it's not my daddy's Buick, and my frame is fine.

Old 08-08-2007 | 08:21 PM
jr_c6
Road Captain

I really don't have a ton of loyalty to any brand of motorcycle. I didn't want to buy a bike to connect with any image. I wanted something that I enjoyed riding. I wanted to "upgrade" from my Deluxe to a more comfortable bike. So, I took out a Wing and then an Ultra for an hour. I ended up buying an 08 Ultra. ABS, smooth ride, no "excessive" heat, very good power and, in my opinion, easier to control. I love this bike. I would have had no issue buying a Wing, but I really enjoyed the Ultra much more. YMMV...

Old 08-08-2007 | 08:44 PM
ApehangerEd
Advanced

9/06 build date Ultra. Bikes perfect. Put SERT, Pipes, air filter on at 3200 miles. Waited because I wanted to hear this terrible defect in the bike, No luck couldnt hear it, other than the 5th gear, which should be expected if you know anything about gear cuts. Have had several bikes, some w/ problems some with none. the 07 has none - best riding bike I have owned ( first FLH). I really like the 96" & 6 speed. Do the search and you can find the tech sheet on changes for 08. Personally, I'm glad I have the 07.

Wish I knew what the clatter sounded like so I could understand, but my bike sure doesnt have it and nobody that I know has it.

With all the complaining about the "clatter" and how terrible the dealers are treating the owners you would think that somewhere, somehow there would be a mechanic that could identify what this "clatter" is and what it was caused from. Isnt it strange that if the bike is so defective nobody can get any further than hearing it???????

What am I missing ???

2007 Ultra Lover

Old 08-08-2007 | 09:17 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Blues Guy

After 2 RK's and an Ultra, spent last year on a Wing. Bike had no soul, sold it and was in the process of shopping for an '07 or '08 EGC. But after reading about all of the heat/tranny issues and mods necessary to make the bike "rideable" I'm fast losing my inital enthusiasm. Have even started looking at low mileage 06's to avoid all of the problems. Am I reacting to a vocal minority or setting my expectations too high? Other than the lousy riding position of the RK's I've owned, I never felt compelled to make major modifications right out of the chute.
I think you are reacting to a very vocal minority. I just traded my '07 Heritage of an '08 EGC. I loved the Heritage and had no issues at all with it other than the overwhelming urge to get a touring model. I love the '08 EGC and may keep it stock as it runs great like it is.

Don't let the few scare you off.

Jim

Old 08-08-2007 | 09:56 PM
dabuckman
Advanced

ORIGINAL: The Vig

The choice on what you ride is completly individual. I bought the 07 RG because it is comfortable the center of gravity is lower and it seems much more nimble than most bikes its size. On my first ride, it was noticably hotter to ride but I figured it was due to pipe position. As far as tranny issues etc... I dont think I have any. If the tranny rattles its because I didnt downshift and am out of the powerband. For me part of riding is being connected to the bike whatever that is. If I get so lazy that I dont want to shift gears, I will take the cage.....
I agree, a matter of choice as to what you ride. We're taking what we got and will be making a few changes to cool down the engine on the '08 Ultra I just purchased. I took the wife out on a short stint to get it over the 50 mile break-in so I could go over 55mph (as per the dealership recommendation). She was wearing boots that came level with her ankle with ankle socks. This left her skin exposed a bit when she sat on the back. She had to move her right leg a few times due to the heat coming off the pipes/engine. With temps at 95+ at the time, it's understandable there's going to be heat coming off of the bike, but this being the third I've owned (Honda, Yamaha, now the Ultra), never had heat like this. She's fine with the heat and the first thing we're doing is putting the oil cooler on. From there, who knows. I don't think the heat is that bad, but worse than I've experienced with my previous rides.

You definitely know you've shifted gears as you hear the shift.....sort of a "clap" or whatever sound you want to call it when you hit the shifter. I don't really notice any whine yet. Still a long way to go, but my wife loves the feel and ride. We hit a lot of bumps that would normally jolt her back on my previous bike, and she has pretty bad back problems, and none of them had any affect on her. She absolutely raved about the comfort....outside of the heat at her ankle. I asked it she'd go back to our previous bike and it was a quick, NO!

I love it so far and getting more comfortable in the saddle. Just gotta spend more time riding and less time playing with all the new buttons available that I didn't have on my other ride!

Old 08-08-2007 | 10:26 PM
GasCan
Outstanding HDF Member

If you really just gotta have a white Goldwing that you can back out in reverse and drive to church with, then go get her. If you want a Harley that you can sink your teeth into, then get an 07 andquit with the hearsay and conjecture already. I have an 07 that has 6000 miles in 2.5 months, and no issues at all. Add the stage 1 for performance and the heat issue is gone, and some Red Line synthetic shock proof gear oil, and it's as quiet as a mouse and shifts smoother than a rolls royce. Were these your only issues?

Old 08-08-2007 | 11:34 PM
serverpimp
Cruiser

Here's a complaint for you. The stock pipes are ridicously too quiet. So there is $300-$1,000 depending on your favorite flavor. I get on my wife's FLHX and it sounds like a dang moped. That is something the MOCO should fix. Who runs stock pipes? Nevermind, don't want to hear the blathering.

I ride in serious stop and go traffic around Atlanta. Was the engine getting hot with temps above 80... absolutely. Does heat rise....say right up to your right leg...absolutely.

Did getting rid of these ridicously quiet pipes, opening up the air intake, and tuning it with a PCIII do the trick....absolutely. My Ultra now sounds good and runs up to 40 degrees cooler in stop and go traffic. It maxed out around 237 today in 95+ heat. Service Manual says 230 is optimal. I don't know whatthe optimaltemp is for years prior to the 07' model but evidently MOCO thought we could take the heat, at least to 230.

I have not heard of any 07's burning up........

Here is something else to consider. 'Hot' is arelative term, just ask some of the troops in Iraq that saw 130+ temps this week. I bet they would love to ride your hot Harley, if nothing else just to cool off.

Old 08-09-2007 | 02:36 AM
GlennsGlide
Cruiser

I have a 2006 EGC and it ran as hot as helluntil I paid the famous Harley Tax.The heat problems are not only with the 07s.

Old 08-09-2007 | 05:17 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: serverpimp

Here's a complaint for you. The stock pipes are ridicously too quiet. So there is $300-$1,000 depending on your favorite flavor. I get on my wife's FLHX and it sounds like a dang moped. That is something the MOCO should fix. Who runs stock pipes? Nevermind, don't want to hear the blathering.

I ride in serious stop and go traffic around Atlanta. Was the engine getting hot with temps above 80... absolutely. Does heat rise....say right up to your right leg...absolutely.

Did getting rid of these ridicously quiet pipes, opening up the air intake, and tuning it with a PCIII do the trick....absolutely. My Ultra now sounds good and runs up to 40 degrees cooler in stop and go traffic. It maxed out around 237 today in 95+ heat. Service Manual says 230 is optimal. I don't know whatthe optimaltemp is for years prior to the 07' model but evidently MOCO thought we could take the heat, at least to 230.

I have not heard of any 07's burning up........

Here is something else to consider. 'Hot' is arelative term, just ask some of the troops in Iraq that saw 130+ temps this week. I bet they would love to ride your hot Harley, if nothing else just to cool off.
Um, to answer that, I would say the riders in Denver, with their new law being on the books. And from what I have read, it seems that all of us might be forced back to stock pipes, at some point. Sad, but seems to be the direction things are heading. I have Samson Drag fishtail, obviously not stock, and very loud. I love them, and would hate to lose them. That being said, I still have my stock pipes. If NM takes this new law to the books, $500 is more than I want to spend to keep my pipes. I hope it never happens, but...