Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stalled Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007 | 08:55 AM
Rick51
Account Deactivated
Default RE: Stalled Purchase

No matter what bike you purchase there will be issues. I had a Goldwing and I had several issues whith it. On the Goldwing forum everybody had an issue. My Goldwing left me stranded for 5 1/2 hours 2 years ago. That is why I bought my Ultra and have had 0 problems since I purchased it. June of 06.

ORIGINAL: simcom

No matter what you purchase from HD there will be issues. Just choose which issues you are willing to accept and which ones you can change. Face it, if MoCo did not incorporate flaws in their bikes we would not have anything to b*tch about and that would be boring. oh wait, they already have that bike, it's called a gold wing.

Old 08-02-2007 | 08:59 AM
The Vig
Advanced

I think to compare a Gold Wing to HD is not a fair comparison. I have both, and the engine and pipe configuration of the goldwing would lend itelf to feel cooler on your inner thighs. The pipes are so far away from your legs that you wouldn't feel the residual heat of the exhaust on your person.
Lets face it all the japanese bikes have embraced technology in a much greater way than HD. The choice on what you ride is completly individual. I bought the 07 RG because it is comfortable the center of gravity is lower and it seems much more nimble than most bikes its size. On my first ride, it was noticably hotter to ride but I figured it was due to pipe position. As far as tranny issues etc... I dont think I have any. If the tranny rattles its because I didnt downshift and am out of the powerband. For me part of riding is being connected to the bike whatever that is. If I get so lazy that I dont want to shift gears, I will take the cage.....

Old 08-02-2007 | 10:45 AM
Rick51
Account Deactivated

I traded my Wing because it was too top heavy for me, seat was too high, it was mostly plastic, couldn't see the engine and I could not get used to the fairing being stationary. The Ultra is lower, more comfortable with the floorboards, looks much better, sounds great, rides just as good as the Wing, handles good, stereo sounds better and the wife likes it better. Yes it is hotter, but I had a Valkyrie before the Wing and it was very hot too. So I guess it comes down to what you like best, and that is a good thing.

ORIGINAL: The Vig

I think to compare a Gold Wing to HD is not a fair comparison. I have both, and the engine and pipe configuration of the goldwing would lend itelf to feel cooler on your inner thighs. The pipes are so far away from your legs that you wouldn't feel the residual heat of the exhaust on your person.
Lets face it all the japanese bikes have embraced technology in a much greater way than HD. The choice on what you ride is completly individual. I bought the 07 RG because it is comfortable the center of gravity is lower and it seems much more nimble than most bikes its size. On my first ride, it was noticably hotter to ride but I figured it was due to pipe position. As far as tranny issues etc... I dont think I have any. If the tranny rattles its because I didnt downshift and am out of the powerband. For me part of riding is being connected to the bike whatever that is. If I get so lazy that I dont want to shift gears, I will take the cage.....

Old 08-02-2007 | 10:57 AM
racklefratz
Road Master

ORIGINAL: ozy
I have no regrets over my 07 purchase. 3800 miles on it in about 6 weeks and I'm haven't stopped smiling yet. Big upgrade from my 96 sporty.
I totally understand there are many riders with new HDs who have not had any problems. But clearly, just a quick perusal of what's here for everybody to see demonstrates, beyond any shadow of doubt, that others are having problems with their new bikes, and are not getting dealership or factory help to resolve them - "Aw, that's normal. They all do that". Right. No, they don't "all do that".

So, for me, anyway, the stakes are just to high for me to play. I can't risk becoming another HD buyer wishing I could undo the deal.

Old 08-08-2007 | 10:18 AM
buckweet
Road Captain

i had same problems with my wing, it was just too tall for me... im thinking ? i'll be just fine on any of them, we'll stick with the harley for a few years and see what happens.
weet........

Old 08-08-2007 | 10:33 AM
Peppa1
Outstanding HDF Member

Racklefratz, ............. I hope you enjoy your wing and it's your choice as to what you ride. I have a friend that just got an 08 Ultra Classic and he's been a wing/HD rider for a number of years but has never owned an Ultra Classic. He came by the house Monday afternoon from picking it up at the dealer and said it handled much better than his wing and was alot more enjoyable to ride and he's going to be selling the wing, so that just goes to show "different strokes for different folks & let those that ride decide".

Old 08-08-2007 | 11:35 AM
Tech2
Tourer

ORIGINAL: racklefratz

...I dang near bought a new '07 EGU last weekend, and planned to keep the Wing as well. Then I found this site that same evening and learned a lot about the grief many are having from brand-spanking-new HD motorcycles. I simply don't need any of that. People say "just get over it and ride it". Ride it? While it burns your leg in traffic, sounds like someone's shaking a can of marbles, and 6th gear's useless under 70? Is that the new definition of "SOUL"? Why would I want to ride anything like that?
You don't indicate if you've ever actually ridden a Harley Davidson bike, or if you are basing your decision on what you've read here. If you haven't ridden one, you may want to try it since you will rarely see anything more than complaints here about the heat/tranny issues. A lot of people only end up at this forum (or any other) because they are looking for a resolution to a problem. You won't usually see people searching google for things like 'Gold Wing lovin', but rather 'cracked Gold Wing frame'. Same thing here.

...Boring as a Buick?...
Bingo.

The idea is to have fun, to me anyway. If I wanted the comfort of a cage, I'd ride in my truck. My Harley is hands down more fun to ride than any other bike I've ridden, (including imports) even with all of it's 'warts'.

I couldn't care less about how hot it is or how noisy it, and frankly, it's not that bad. Is it about image? I'm sure it is to some extent. I have never based my entire vehicle purchase decision, whether car or bike, solely on practicality. If I did, I'd likely be driving a Camry or Civic, neither of which are my style or idea of fun. As irrational and impractical as it may sound, I want to have fun when I commute. That's why I'd never own a Buick, Oldsmobile, or a Mercury. Those vehicles just don't do anything for me. I'd rather own something I like and enjoy, even if imperfect.

...There have always been the "Faithful", who spend more time just admiring their bike as opposed to actually riding it, and who will always rationalize any and every bad HD engineering design problem. But, over time, unless HD can make design changes which address the really serious issues involving their top-'o-the-line touring models, increasing numbers of prospective HD buyers will become less and less willing to part with well over $20K for a machine that's only marginally rideable off the showroom floor...
You call them 'Faithful' I call them 'posers' and they ride all brands of bikes, including Wings.

Regarding your predicted downfall of HD: It hasn't happened yet, as far as I can tell. HD bikes are still selling very well. Could that change? Sure. The momentum already seems to have slowed, as evidenced by more bikes on the showroom floor, but I attributethat, in part,to higher production volume.

At age 62, I'm a lot less into turning heads; I just want a dependable, comfortable ride, not a bike I have to tinker with and hang a bunch of aftermarket stuff on from day 1, just to get it to run acceptably well, all the while hoping HD will find fixes for what they got wrong at the factory. Read the posts on this forum; this sad saga is playing out right now. As much as I'd like to buy a new HD, I'm on the sidelines, waiting and watching to see if HD can pull this one out.
That's cool, then don't get one. But at least make sure you areNOT getting one for the right reasons, not strictly based of a perception after reading some complaints here.It seems that you may have some misconceptions about the bikes. You absolutely do NOT have to spend one cent after buying the biketo 'hang a bunch of aftermarket stuff...just to get it to run acceptably well'. They run acceptably well out of the box. Are they perfect? Of course not, but neither is a G

Old 08-08-2007 | 11:55 AM
1bgrd1
Advanced

As far as the heat issue, my brother owned an air/oil cooled Suzuki 1500 cruiser and complained of burning his thigh at stoplights, another friend has a Victory Vegas, same complaint, my wife has an 03 EG and I have an 05 EG and it gets a little warm in the real hot days but when moving no complaints. I owned a Honda VTX before the EG which is liquid cooled and there were no heat issues but it sounded worse than a harley going from neutral to 1st or 1st to 2nd, no handling and stock seat royally sucked. So I have owned both liquid and air cooled metric and american and I still like the harley.

Old 08-08-2007 | 02:29 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

ORIGINAL: racklefratz

[I totally understand there are many riders with new HDs who have not had any problems. But clearly, just a quick perusal of what's here for everybody to see demonstrates, beyond any shadow of doubt, that others are having problems with their new bikes, and are not getting dealership or factory help to resolve them - "Aw, that's normal. They all do that". Right. No, they don't "all do that".

So, for me, anyway, the stakes are just to high for me to play. I can't risk becoming another HD buyer wishing I could undo the deal.
okay, bye.....

Old 08-08-2007 | 07:00 PM
racklefratz
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Peppa1

Racklefratz, ............. I hope you enjoy your wing and it's your choice as to what you ride. I have a friend that just got an 08 Ultra Classic and he's been a wing/HD rider for a number of years but has never owned an Ultra Classic. He came by the house Monday afternoon from picking it up at the dealer and said it handled much better than his wing and was alot more enjoyable to ride and he's going to be selling the wing, so that just goes to show "different strokes for different folks & let those that ride decide".
If that was in reply to "Buckweet", as the post says, why did you reply to me?

Quick Reply: Stalled Purchase