Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A day on a EG Classic

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007 | 11:23 PM
DynaSport
|
Advanced
Default A day on a EG Classic

Well, I spent my money and rented an 07 EG Classic for a day to see how I would like it. I ride a 2000 FXDX that I have set up to fit me better and be more comfortable for long rides. I thought that since I have turned my Dyna into sort of a tourer, I might like an actual tourer. I was especially interested in the passenger comfort as my wife is not that comfortable on the long rides on my Dyna. So, I plopped down enough to rent a limo and spent 13 hours and 500 miles cruising around Florida in the heat dodging the rain and looking for anything interesting. Here are my impressions. They are posted here for those surfers who may be considering a touring bike, as I have nothing to educate those who already own one of these.

First, the good things.
I was very impressed with the radio. It was my first experience on a bike with a radio and I really enjoyed it. I was suprised how well I could hear it under a variety of circumstances.
Next, the bike rides pretty good even though it is a large machine. It soaked up bumps and rough pavement very well.
The tour pak and hard bags were roomy and I liked the fact I could lock them.
The bike got better gas mileage than I expected. I think it did better than my Dyna, although I tend to ride my Dyna harder so that may be part of the difference. I also liked the longer range as its tank is bigger than mine.
My wife was MUCH more comfortable on the EG than on my Dyna. That fact alone may influence future purchases.
I never noticed the tranny noise so many complain about. Either my rental doesn't have it or it just doesn't bother me. I don't expect these bikes to be quiet so I'm not sure which it is.
Sixth gear is definitely an interstate or major highway gear. It is tall, but is nice to be able to shift into for those long high speed stretches.

Now, some not so positive things.
While the bike is comfortable, I was not thrilled with the stock seat. I might look into a Mustang or something if I owned one and did lots of all day rides.
I would definitely make highway pegs my first mod. I have them on my Dyna and missed them on the rental.
Even though the EG had a 96" engine, it didn't have the go that my mostly stock carbed 2000 TC88 does. It must be the extra weight holding it back, but I just didn't feel the push back in my seat I feel on my Dyna.
While the EG handles pretty well, my Dyna is more fun and corners better.
I would want a shorter shield. I am 5'10" and I was not able to look over the shield. I wonder how the air flow, especially for the passenger would be with a shorter shield.

The bottom line is that I enjoyed many of the conviences of the EG, but riding it was not terribly exciting for me. It may be that I have had my Dyna for several years and have made it mine in fit and accessories, but the EG was not that much more comfortable for me. OTOH, it was much better for my wife. It sounds crazy, but if I buy one it will be for the radio and so my wife will be more comfortable. I'm just not sure she rides with me enough to justify it. YMMV.

Dan

Old 07-31-2007 | 11:32 PM
davewear
Road Warrior
Default RE: A day on a EG Classic

now rent a RG and you'll enjoy the corners again.....[sm=escape.gif]

Old 07-31-2007 | 11:36 PM
gregm
Cruiser

I can relate. I had an '01 Softail standard and an '05 EGC at the same time. I got the EGC for my wife's comfort, I enjoyed the !@## out of the Softail for solo riding. I added arm rests to the EGC & now the queen is happy and so am I. TheSoftail & EGC can't be compared to each other, they are for different purposes. I only wish I could have kept both! The Softail for solo riding (commuting to work and my wild side) & the EGC for 2 up riding. I'll settle for riding with my queen and let the Softail be a fond memory (and an open possibility for the future).
Greg

Old 07-31-2007 | 11:38 PM
DynaSport
|
Advanced

ORIGINAL: davewear

now rent a RG and you'll enjoy the corners again.....[sm=escape.gif]
Same suspension isn't it? And after adding a tour pak about the same weight? I know it has a frame mounted fairing instead of fork mounted fairing. Does that make that much of a difference in the corners?

And for the record, I tried to rent one, but they didn't have one. The rental guy said they only keep one in the fleet and it reached its mileage limit so was sold. They won't have one till they get an 08 in.

Dan

Old 07-31-2007 | 11:44 PM
davewear
Road Warrior

harley is the only bike i know of that mounts a fairing that big to the bars. i sure noticed the difference when i tested them. big difference at lower speeds and in cross winds and overall the RG is lighter feeling imo. search around these forums you'll find lots of reading on the subject.

Old 08-01-2007 | 02:38 AM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: davewear

harley is the only bike i know of that mounts a fairing that big to the bars. i sure noticed the difference when i tested them. big difference at lower speeds and in cross winds and overall the RG is lighter feeling imo. search around these forums you'll find lots of reading on the subject.

Yamaha Royal Star Venture.

And believe me, the Harley feels like it has no fairing on the bars by comparison. The RSV was the most ill handling bike at low speed I have ever ridden.

Old 08-01-2007 | 12:36 PM
wldhogn
Tourer

Very difficult to compare a Dyna to an Electra Glide .. two different animals I owned a Dyna Wide Glide ( which I loved and wish I still had as a second bike) for 5 years. As I got older I began to think more about comfort for myself and my wife.

We were one of the first HD riders in our group ( of about 15 bikes) to go to a touring bike. My first one was a Road Glide and my next was a repeat Road Glide ( which I currently have ridden for about 4 years this month). The group gave us a bad time about the "geezer glide" but over the following 2 years they switched over themselves and never looked back.

If you plan on riding long distances and want style and comfort, a touring bike is the only way to go.

Old 08-01-2007 | 12:56 PM
rickoshay45
Road Master

I bought my EGC because the wife wanted the easy chair. Well I put 450 a week on it going to and from work. She only rides on the weekend. We still put another 2 to 3 hundred on every weekend together. Maybe if it was more comfortable she would ride more.

Once I get the tour pack relocated, some RJs on, adjustable pegs for her and a new seat we will try some real long distance.

Old 08-01-2007 | 01:13 PM
DynaSport
|
Advanced

ORIGINAL: wldhogn

Very difficult to compare a Dyna to an Electra Glide .. two different animals

If you plan on riding long distances and want style and comfort, a touring bike is the only way to go.
It's not hard for me to compare the two at all. You point out the similarities and differences. They have some of each.

And I have been riding long distances on my Dyna for a few years now. It took a while to get the comfort thing down. Now with handlebars that fit me,a decent windshield, a big Mustang seat, and highway bars, my Dyna is pretty comfortable for me. My wife has a bad knee, though, and her main complaint on the Dyna is that the passenger foot pegs are a bit high and cause her pain after an hour or two. She did not have that issue on the EG.

Old 08-01-2007 | 01:14 PM
The Vig
Advanced

I would agreewith riding the RG I think the fram mounted fairing is the most overlooked best option HD has. I think it makes a world of difference in how the bike corners and no buffeting when the semis pass you on the road.

Just my opinion but I thik it bridges the ga between full dresser and daily street rider perfectly

Quick Reply: A day on a EG Classic