Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

riding glasses

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 11:21 AM
jeepster09
Grand HDF Member
Received 7,733 Likes on 1,260 Posts
Default RE: riding glasses

ORIGINAL: Domestic Violence

panoptx are great. however, make sure that you get the transition lenses. theyll cost a bit more, but its well worth it to have day/night glasses all in one.

a word of caution- a lot of people complain that they dont get dark enough in sunlight. while id like mine to be darker- theyre still good.
Right on...they are great.

Old 08-01-2007, 11:40 AM
madurodave
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess I am the only one who bought HD goggles. Very comfortable, strap to help hold in place, foam cups to keep out wind/dirt and day/night lenses. I used them on my trip to Canada for 600-mile days. Highway, small roads, dust, dirt, RAIN - no issues. They are pricey but got them for 20% off at Chicago HD.

Old 08-01-2007, 12:06 PM
willett58
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was considering googles, but don't like the bug eye look. So I got me a pair of cocoons. Awesome, polarized and work great. www.cocoonseyewear.com

Old 08-01-2007, 02:41 PM
mmartin
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: Kahuna

Another vote for PanOptx! A little pricey, but worth it! Make sure you clean the lenses with the provided cloth. Anything else will scratch! Wiley is also good. Less expensive too.
I like what Mark Martin uses

Old 08-01-2007, 03:59 PM
serverpimp
Cruiser

I have a pair of Panoptx Raptors and even though they are day/night I do agree they don't get quite dark enough. I just ordered a darker snap in inner piece straight from Panoptx since the Raptors have been discountinued and I couldn't find them online anywhere. Regardless of the real dark lense they are fantastic for keeping the wind off your eyes. I was amazed how well they worked.
ORIGINAL: Domestic Violence

panoptx are great. however, make sure that you get the transition lenses. theyll cost a bit more, but its well worth it to have day/night glasses all in one.

a word of caution- a lot of people complain that they dont get dark enough in sunlight. while id like mine to be darker- theyre still good.

Old 08-01-2007, 04:06 PM
redhwk44
Road Master

I have 4 different pair of the cheaper sunglasses ranging in price from $15-$40 and thought they were great until we went west last month. I took my favorites and one other pair in case of emergency. Well, 400-500 miles into the trip the wife comments on how red my eyes were and I noticed that they were itching as well , so I switched to my backups and my eyes were worse after the next day. Then I stopped at a HD shop in Nebraska and bought a set that felt like they fit me better but at highway speeds they seemed to float around and my eyes got even more red. Finally we stop at Red Lodge HD and was trying to convince myself to spend the money on PanOptics when another person there told me that they had PanOptics and thought they were okay but tried a friends WileyX's and thought they were much better and cheaper. So down the street we go to an eyeglass shop and I bought the wileyX transition sg-1la for $125. Now I have never had Pan- optics but I love my WileyX.
http://www.wileyx.com/EcommSuite/Pro...mp;ItemCode=77

Jeff

Old 08-01-2007, 04:19 PM
WOLFE1584
Cruiser

Another vote for Panoptix ...

Old 08-01-2007, 06:02 PM
Rocket Jockey
Tourer

I searched for the ultimate glasses this spring and finally ended up with Oakley Monster Dogs with the transition lenses. I hate the little foam eye cups, head straps, googles, etc.,but wanted as much wind protection as I could get. I was surprised how much air got by the "motorcycle" glasses from Wiley X and Panoptix. It is definitely a face shape thing. What works for me won't necessarily work for you. I test drove as many as I could before buying.....as in, I am buying these as a gift for my brother-in-law, what is your return policy? No other way to be sure and if you are dropping some serious coin for presciption lenses, you better try them first.

I might look like Rocky from the Bullwinkle and Rocky show with my Oakleys on but the lenses are awesome and the protection is all I could ask for.

Good luck,
RJ

Old 08-01-2007, 09:42 PM
Andy Engemann
Tourer

I also wear contacts. I can't wear regular sunglasses due to the contacts drying out with all that wind. I bought a pair of the Harley sunglasses that have the foam insert. They look like normal sunglasses and the foam insert is not visible while being worn. The insert effectively make the glasses function like googles. The insert can easily be removed for normal wear. The glasses also came with clear lenses for riding at night, a cleaning cloth and a hard case.

Andy Engemann

Old 08-01-2007, 09:55 PM
tpseabird
Advanced

ORIGINAL: Rocket Jockey

I searched for the ultimate glasses this spring and finally ended up with Oakley Monster Dogs with the transition lenses. I hate the little foam eye cups, head straps, googles, etc.,but wanted as much wind protection as I could get. I was surprised how much air got by the "motorcycle" glasses from Wiley X and Panoptix. It is definitely a face shape thing. What works for me won't necessarily work for you. I test drove as many as I could before buying.....as in, I am buying these as a gift for my brother-in-law, what is your return policy? No other way to be sure and if you are dropping some serious coin for presciption lenses, you better try them first.

I might look like Rocky from the Bullwinkle and Rocky show with my Oakleys on but the lenses are awesome and the protection is all I could ask for.

Good luck,
RJ
RJ,

Do the Monster Dogs perform as good as a dedicated pair of sunglasses? I like my WileyX transitionglasses, but they don't get as dark as a pair of dedicated sunglasses.

TP

Quick Reply: riding glasses