Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carbed or Fuel Injected.....pros and cons

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005 | 10:08 AM
skos
Elite HDF Member
Default RE: Carbed or Fuel Injected.....pros and cons

Everyone I ask love EFI. I myself went with EFI. I believe it is a lot easier to tweck.

Old 11-07-2005 | 12:14 PM
norton
Road Captain

"As I have stated time and time again, EVERY bike is different and if you want the most/best from your bike you will have it dyno tuned instead of using a generic map. I don't see why people spend upwards of $20 grand only to skimp in the performance of a bike??? " I didn't know these bikes (with about 56HP) had much performance. lol

Old 11-07-2005 | 04:33 PM
Mikeeeeeeeeee
"Moderator & Connoisseur of Ice Cream"

Have owned both. Being mechanically inclined, the carb was no problem to install a jet kit for stage I. But the track record for EFI speaks for itself also.
I like my EFI Classic. I like turning the switch on and pressing the starter and not worrying about having to go back and adjust anything a few seconds later.
I like being able to drive sooner although I stil warm my bike up for a few minutes before driving off.

I will stick with EFI. After a while it will be all you are able to buy anyway.

Mikeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Old 11-07-2005 | 05:57 PM
jfanton
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: no1likhim

Have owned both. Being mechanically inclined, the carb was no problem to install a jet kit for stage I. But the track record for EFI speaks for itself also.
I like my EFI Classic. I like turning the switch on and pressing the starter and not worrying about having to go back and adjust anything a few seconds later.
I like being able to drive sooner although I stil warm my bike up for a few minutes before driving off.

I will stick with EFI. After a while it will be all you are able to buy anyway.

Mikeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Well said...

Old 11-07-2005 | 06:19 PM
streetbobjim
Cruiser

The world moves on, and every time things go forward, there are always people who would prefer that things stay the same. I dont know a lot about efi, but I do know that it has been around for quite a while and it is in an awful lot of vehicles. Its progress, and like it or not, its here to stay... until something else comes along to replace it.

Old 11-07-2005 | 06:25 PM
1200c
Road Warrior

I'm biased toward carbs just because my life is based on coding and computer work and I would rather play with jets than try to debug the engine mangement system.

"Carburetors seldom mess up." and "EFI is the best friend of motorcycle towing services everywhere." Plus a alot more against EFI.
I don't know that I agree with her. The early EFI systems had some problems, but I don't think they go crapping out anymore.

Here is a list:

Neutrals:
1) Performance potential is the same.
2) Fuel economy is negligable (2 mpg difference).
3) Compensation for elevation changes is negligable as well if you are running the stock CV carb.
4) You can start up a carbed bike as fast as an EFI bike without any problems (just have to warm the carbed one up)

EFI disadvatages:
1) Tons of sensors that add complexity and weight.
2) Signifcantly more expensive to make changes to it ($10 worth of jets vs. $150 reflash).
3) Unable to work on it on the side of the road (trust me you won't need this much so just ignore it)

Carb disadvantages:
1) Warming up the bike and playing with the choke (you can install an automatic choke but that costs money and adds complexity).
2) You might have to clean it peridocially depending on how the bike was stored. (The great part is that you can easily clean the system and it would be harder to clean EFI).
3) Tuning it just right. If you don't have an easy carb to tune, then you'll spend time fiddling with it only to say "oh hell that's close enough". Other carbs can be tuned very easily and this is negligable.

Whatever you decide you can't go wrong. Just try to consider what your needs will be and which one fits your style the best. One thing is undeniable. It sure is a lot cheaper to reject than to remap after the mod that almost everybody does; pipes and intake.

Old 11-07-2005 | 07:12 PM
CHEYENNE
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: norton

"As I have stated time and time again, EVERY bike is different and if you want the most/best from your bike you will have it dyno tuned instead of using a generic map. I don't see why people spend upwards of $20 grand only to skimp in the performance of a bike??? " I didn't know these bikes (with about 56HP) had much performance. lol
With stock there is no dyno tuning needed, with modifications equaling performance there is

Old 11-07-2005 | 08:19 PM
FLRYDR
Advanced

The biggest con for me is having no reserve. For years I used the reserve as a crutch and if I forgot to fill just switched to reserve and got gas asap. With EFI I now have no option for that and have almost ran out a time or two. Biggest problem for me is that being colorblind the "low fuel" light doesn't attract my attention. I am considering adding an alternate light to mount somewhere up in the dash that flashes.

Anyone other color blind folks had this problem???

FLRYDR

Old 11-07-2005 | 08:56 PM
jeepster09
Grand HDF Member

I thought about the same thing....for about 30 seconds when I chose my injected bike. We are in a new era of modern times. Go with the technoligy, it's pretty well perfected. Especially if you are not doing a lot of mods yourself anyway. Carbs advantage is cheaper tuning and that is where it ends! Carb bikes also don't start as quickly and do tend to have more starter problems due to incorrectly using choke. My injected bike with hi compression starts on first crank even without using compression releases. It also is smoother running and does not have altitude related problems that a carburated bike can have when travelling to higher altitudes. The computer will automically compensate for different heights. A GOOD tuner will not have all kinds of mapping problems. My bagger has 97 horse with 97 torque.[sm=smiley20.gif]
Look at all the other bike makers...no one I beleave uses carbs anymore....including the car makers!

Old 11-08-2005 | 01:31 AM
fatguyona1000
|
Road Captain

FLRYDR,

I used to ride bikes back when they had a reserve. It was easy, though unnerving the first couple of times, you just flipped the switch and getting gas was the first thing on your mind. Now with the empty light, if you don't notice it, you're stranded. Just remember to reset your tripometer everytime you get gas and you'll start rememering about what mileage the light comes on at. And also just make it a habit to glance down at that light from time to time.