Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The "Walter Mitty" Dream - Do I Just Give It Up?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007 | 02:11 PM
rwagon57
Tourer
Default RE: The "Walter Mitty" Dream - Do I Just Give It Up?

Rent a EGC or an Ultra for a day, then decide.

Old 08-03-2007 | 04:25 PM
Badbagger
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

I'd go out and rent a couple of models for a day if you can that are in a stock configuration and see how it feels. You may also consider looking around in the pre-owned market for say an 05 or 06. Not sure about your riding area and all but for me, 6 speeds aren't needed at all in 95% of my riding on the back country roads. I've been riding for 30 plus years with 5 speeds and a few more won't hurt me lol. I got an incredible deal on a leftover 06 in January, put a ton of mods on the bike already and may go to a stage 2 next year. My 06 ran a bit hot but after adding a race tuner, pipes and a dyno tune, it cooled way down. I'd bet you can find an 05 or 06 Ultra or Road Glide with all of this already done for a hell of a good price. Especially in a couple of months or so when the riding season is about over in many parts of the country.

Old 08-03-2007 | 05:26 PM
GlennsGlide
Cruiser

Im 50yrs old and bought my first HD EGC and have spent way to much to have it run smooth & cool with acceptable power. I for one will never purchase a Harley Davidson Motorcycle again.

Old 08-03-2007 | 05:34 PM
flakdog
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: GlennsGlide

Im 50yrs old and bought my first HD EGC and have spent way to much to have it run smooth & cool with acceptable power. I for one will never purchase a Harley Davidson Motorcycle again.
OK goodbye then ....

Old 08-03-2007 | 05:46 PM
TimAT
Advanced

I got an 07 SEUC the end of May. Yes, it runs hotter than my 01 UC did, but it's not something that I just can't live with. I did add V&H Tru-duals, SE air cleaner and some RG slip-ons, but I did that for sound and NOT for the heat. When it's hot outside, that air cooled 110 is gonna' be hot. No way around it. The 88 was too. And trans noise? Irented an 07 UC in Vegas- that trans did have a little rattle in 5th gear. Not bad, but it was there. My SEUC has yet to make any noise in any gear, give me any problems in any way. It's still kind of young- only 2600 miles so far.

Old 08-03-2007 | 06:21 PM
grooveman
Road Captain

The only other bike I ever owned was an old Honda CB100 back in the 70's. The Goldwing is a great bike, if that is what you want. But when I was ready to buy last year I never even considered any other brand because I knew I would have never been happy with anything else. I also knew nothing about the heat issues till after I bought the Harley and began reading these forums. Yes they run hot but being air cooled its just the nature of the beast.
But since I live in the sticks of Montana and ride mainly in the mountains and never in traffic I really don't worry about the heat issue much. If I need to cool it down later by adding a SERT or stage one air I will do it without hesitation. It's all about the experience for me. The Harley has "soul" and I will buy another one when the time comes.

Old 08-03-2007 | 10:25 PM
serverpimp
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: flakdog

ORIGINAL: GlennsGlide

OK goodbye then ....
What he said.[sm=hiya.gif]