Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil drops on left front fender of RoadKing

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 03:13 PM
garcon
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil drops on left front fender of RoadKing

I have an 02 RoadKing and every once in a while, not after everyride, but occassionaly,I notice a very very small streak of oil on the left side of the front fender like it is comming from the lower legsand the wind is blowing it onto the left front fender. It's a very very small amount of oil. Any ideas? Thanks

Old 07-31-2007, 03:21 PM
Kahuna
Road Master
Default RE: oil drops on left front fender of RoadKing

Sounds like your one of your fork seals is leaking! Did you have the fork oil replaced at the 20k service? If so, the person who did it may have either put a tear in the seal or damaged the inner strut (while installing the seals). How is your front suspension feeling? Sluggish? Are you bottoming out in front? These are signs that your forks are leaking. Get this looked at ASAP! It can become a safety issue!

ORIGINAL: garcon

I have an 02 RoadKing and every once in a while, not after everyride, but occassionaly,I notice a very very small streak of oil on the left side of the front fender like it is comming from the lower legsand the wind is blowing it onto the left front fender. It's a very very small amount of oil. Any ideas? Thanks

Old 07-31-2007, 03:31 PM
garcon
Cruiser

Howdifficult is itto replace the frontfork seal? The bike had 15000K service at dealer a while ago, but just had 14400milage.Isit big job. Can anyone who wrenches on their bike do it? Any idea on what a dealer would charge to check and put in new seals? What would be thesafety issue?I don't seem to be bottoming out except when I don't see a deep pot hole and end up going over it, it does sound like it might behitting bottom. Other than that bikerides great.

Old 07-31-2007, 03:34 PM
smknflms
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

..does it leave spots on floor where it's parked below left fork, if not may be grease leaking out of neck..pretty common, especially after service where they grease neck bearings.
Later

Old 07-31-2007, 03:45 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: garcon

I'll put my money on grease from the steering head running down the left fork. When applied, the grease oozes out of the seams and when hot, oil can separate from the grease and run down the inside of the fork tube cover (aka beer can, cow bell), which will drip out onto the fender, engine guard, and/or engine. It usually runs down the left fork because it is leaning to the left when parked. Trace the gravity trail from the steering head to the left fork cover and I think you'll find an oily residue all the way to the inside of the the cover. The solution is to wipe the excess grease and oil from the area, but you may still get some oil on the fender from time to time.

Old 07-31-2007, 04:39 PM
sewerat
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

fork oil should be noticable on the lower side of the tins and it would show up as a red fluid if you wiped it with a white cloth. More then likely its just hot grease.

Old 07-31-2007, 05:03 PM
Motor Head
Cruiser

I had the same issue with my Ultra and the dealer confirmed that it is grease from the steering head. He said that about a year ago HD changed the grease and that this has been an on-going issue. He told me it was nothing to worry about

Old 07-31-2007, 05:35 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 853 Likes on 643 Posts

agree with steering head grease

Old 07-31-2007, 06:19 PM
SiLlY
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a similiar problem. Mine turned out to be the T-connector for my front brakes. When the guy did my steel braided cables, one side didnt seal.

Old 07-31-2007, 06:21 PM
easyglider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: SiLlY

I had a similiar problem. Mine turned out to be the T-connector for my front brakes. When the guy did my steel braided cables, one side didnt seal.

OH!OH!Brake fluid and paint is a BAAAAAD match.

Quick Reply: oil drops on left front fender of RoadKing