Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CPAP machines

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 07:47 AM
Mako Shark
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CPAP machines

ORIGINAL: twistedcherokee

I tried to air off my Ultra with mine but it didn't work. Just kiding. Should be ok, which one do you have?I use the Oracle II and it is the quietest according to my wife, used the ful face and it was ok but cannot do the nasal. What are some of the stats out there that use a CPAP? During my sleep study they said I stopped breathing 100 times in an hour and the longest was 46 seconds. O2 sat was at 43 %. Now that I have a CPAP I don't fall asleep at the stop lights anymore.

Toby
I would stop breathing for over a minute. The risk of stroke is great if you get in this situation.
I was tired all the time and now I have it much better that before.
Beware of improper mask fit. I have a horror story to tell about that.... Mask shifted, it was too big.
It blew air in the corner of my eye all night. when I woke up and opened my eyes, the eyelid stuck to my eye and tore a piece off. Ouch!!! Had to ride 200 miles Back from Myrtle Beach Bike week with one eye and in the rain. That Sucked. That was 4 years ago when I first got fitted for the set up.
Now all is right with the world.
Bottom line, if you are tired all the time and snore, you should get checked out. If you have Apnea, then a cpap will make a world of difference in the way you feel.

Old 08-01-2007, 09:48 AM
Beeracuda
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: twistedcherokee

I tried to air off my Ultra with mine but it didn't work. Just kiding. Should be ok, which one do you have?I use the Oracle II and it is the quietest according to my wife, used the ful face and it was ok but cannot do the nasal. What are some of the stats out there that use a CPAP? During my sleep study they said I stopped breathing 100 times in an hour and the longest was 46 seconds. O2 sat was at 43 %. Now that I have a CPAP I don't fall asleep at the stop lights anymore.

Toby
I fell asleep at a red light at 5:15 pm on the way home from work. That's when I made the decision to have a sleep study. Mine O2 sat got down to 52% in the first hour and I had stopped breathing over 100 times as well.Every since my sleep study, I can't sleep without my CPAP, not that I was sleeping before...

Old 08-01-2007, 11:12 AM
UltraDuke
Outstanding HDF Member

I saw a ultra once that looked like it had nitrous. I told the guy "cool you have nitrous" he said no, its my oxygen tank. lol ride on no matter what.

Old 08-01-2007, 01:04 PM
itsmyforte
Tourer

sorta off topic, any of you cpap user try the dental device? i tried cpap adn it did nothing for me. i have been seeing doctors for over 2 years trying to fix my sleep. my sleep studys showed 02 at 86%, but the machine woke me up more than it helped. i really wanted it to work, but i gave up after 2 months.

Old 08-01-2007, 02:48 PM
sleepman54
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: itsmyforte

sorta off topic, any of you cpap user try the dental device? i tried cpap adn it did nothing for me. i have been seeing doctors for over 2 years trying to fix my sleep. my sleep studys showed 02 at 86%, but the machine woke me up more than it helped. i really wanted it to work, but i gave up after 2 months.
The dental devices and surgeries working all depend on what is causing your sleep apnea. Despite the advancements that have been made in sleep medicine over the last several years we still can't tell you what is causing the obstructions, just that you have obstructive sleep apnea. In a mild case of sleep apnea losing 10 to 20 pounds can do a lot. The best bet and what has a 95% success rate in treating sleep apnea is the Cpap machine. I tell folks who don't like it to keep working on it, youcan try different masks, make sure you have a ramp setting, and even try cool or warm humidification to make it easier to sleep with. Bottom line is that getting sleep apnea treated will put years back onto your life and reduce the chances of heartattacks and strokes.

Old 08-01-2007, 03:52 PM
itsmyforte
Tourer

ORIGINAL: sleepman54

ORIGINAL: itsmyforte

The dental devices and surgeries working all depend on what is causing your sleep apnea. Despite the advancements that have been made in sleep medicine over the last several years we still can't tell you what is causing the obstructions, just that you have obstructive sleep apnea. In a mild case of sleep apnea losing 10 to 20 pounds can do a lot. The best bet and what has a 95% success rate in treating sleep apnea is the Cpap machine. I tell folks who don't like it to keep working on it, youcan try different masks, make sure you have a ramp setting, and even try cool or warm humidification to make it easier to sleep with. Bottom line is that getting sleep apnea treated will put years back onto your life and reduce the chances of heartattacks and strokes.
this concerns me most as all males in my family die of heart attacks. im only 27 and sometimes feel like 50. it fuggin sux as it affects my riding time and all around my life in general. i dont know why im talking about this on the internet. eh

Old 08-01-2007, 07:51 PM
relli
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 3 Posts

i travel with a neb for asthma and it does well.

Old 08-02-2007, 08:57 AM
leond
Cruiser

As an aside, I use a CPAP w/ a humidifier. I didn't want to take up that much space on my trip so I only took the CPAP.

I actually did better with out the humidifier. That surprised me as my doctor said the humidifier would make the system easier to use.

While it works for summer, I'm curious if this will still be the case when the dry, winter air come in.

LeonD

Old 08-02-2007, 09:24 AM
Rick51
Account Deactivated

I have sleep apnea. I can't wear a Cpap. I can't stand having something on my face like that. My doctor tried to get me to get the Cpap. I refused because i'd never use it and it would be a waste of money. Besides, once I got off night shift my sleep improved 100%.

Old 08-02-2007, 09:52 AM
SteveM
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: SiLlY

Wow... Until someone posted the wiki link... I swear I thought you guys where typing CRAP. I need to pay more attention. I was wondering what the hell a CRAP machine was too. I thought, perhaps a portable sh!tter? I was in shock at the idea that alot of you guys where admitting to carrying a sh!tter around.

Sorry!

I'm not trying to be funny. Right now I'm laughing at myself for not reading it clearly. That was funny!
[sm=exactly.gif][sm=guilty.gif]

Quick Reply: CPAP machines