Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Upgrade, Stage 2 or Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2021 | 05:37 AM
Ridetothehill
Road Captain
Veteran: Air Force

Originally Posted by 702
I don't know why everyone rags so hard on factory suspension, I have 25k miles on my 19 SGS and it rides fine to me. The cam I did was well worth the $$, so with that said - I'd do the cam and all the other required stuff to make it work.
702, I agree! This ride is the most solid and stable thing I have ever ridden. I was just talking about this the other day with my parts guy. We were talking about some of the old stuff we used to ride and there is no comparison. My first bike was a thrown together Frankenride with a bolt -on hardtail and long springer. Even the stock Harley seats are now pretty decent enough to keep. A good friend with the same Road king as I have ran over a kayak that came off a car in front of him on a state highway last summer. He had his wife on the back and said that they got thrown off the seat just a bit and landed squarely without the bike missing a beat, not even a wobble, rock solid. Having said all that, I just put the SE heavy fork oil as replacement for the type E after swapping out sliders for chrome. That's about all I will be doing for the front and there is a slight chance that I may go with the Pro Action shocks to give a little better performance on the track and the mountain twisties; however, by far the best thing I have done for this bike was to change the cam first thing. If I were the OP, my first upgrades would be focused on engine performance then go from there as needed, if needed.

Old 01-15-2021 | 05:53 AM
Ironworker69
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by dajogejr
What kind of shocks did you go with and are they dialed in properly?

I have Howards Ohlins out back w/ rezzies and legend axeo up front.
1K doesn't begin to cover that price.

Also, we have roughly 3 total inches of travel, closer to two once sag is set right. Expecting 2 inches of travel on a 900 lb bike to soak up every size bump so you don't feel it is unrealistic.
Prior to setting sag properly I'd say you're right.
Setting up a quality shock is key to ride quality.

Where I notice mine, riding solo frankly, is when I'm pushing it in 80 to 90mph sweepers and it stays planted rather than wanting to wallow.
Bitubos, I initially had them set up for a plush ride, but were too soft, I’m actually stiffening them up now, I just made one adjustment, probably need to make another, even so if I had a choice between shocks or engine work, I would go with the engine work.

Old 01-15-2021 | 06:20 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member

The rears have to be set up properly in order to perform at their best. You can’t just throw a set of expensive shocks on there and expect to have a better ride than you had, they first have to be built for your bike,weight and style of riding the adjusted properly the test rode and adjusted again. Now you have a ride. Power is nothing without control and comfort. I can’t ride over 70 mph all the time but I hit road imperfections all the time even in the south where we have some of the better pavement in the country. If y’all don’t believe me ride your bike from the south to the Canadian border and then give me your opinion. The freeze and thaw up north is hell on roads... Our backroads in NC are better than most highways up north.

The following 2 users liked this post by Notgrownup:
dajogejr (01-17-2021), Puglia10 (01-15-2021)
Old 01-17-2021 | 01:46 AM
Old Iron Man
Tourer

I can actually answer this one from experience, as I have both of those exact upgrades on my 2018 SGS. The only difference is that my starting point is a 107. So you are starting with a little more power. I had the 447 “torque” cam done right from day one, and I feel like the power is awesome. I rode two summers with it that way, and this winter I went for the stage III, b/c the dealer was having a special when combined with winter storage, and also b/c I’m riding 50% or more of the time 2-up. Don’t get me wrong, stage III is not really nec. The stage two is plenty for two-up riding, and you’ll really appreciate the extra power and the sound as well. I just did it to try something new. i don’t know the difference yet from the stage II, but I can tell you that the stage II torque cam was money well spent. Should be appx. $1,500 installed, or less.

On the Legend Revo shocks, great choice! Legend rocks. I had them installed last summer on my dealer service guy’s advice. Did the heavy duty ones. Appx. $700 installed. Wow! What a difference. I wish I had done it sooner. Much better over bumps, and the wife says her ride comfort is night and day improved. That is a great upgrade to do. I liked them so much that I had the dealer do the Legend front system this winter as well. I can’t wait to try it.

So my advice: Life is short. Do both!

The following 2 users liked this post by Old Iron Man:
Bull369 (01-21-2021), Notgrownup (01-17-2021)
Old 01-17-2021 | 07:09 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member

Old Iron Man, I guess your only problem now is the weather...Here in NC we usually can ride a lot more but this winter has been rainy it seems every time I can ride.

Old 01-17-2021 | 10:32 AM
sixgun95
Tourer

Seen you and this bike last time I was a SDL HD. I only remember because it got my attention, looks gorgeous! I was wondering what bike it was exactly and know I know! Lol. In any event, I suggest the suspension. Bike has plenty of power now, upgraded suspension makes a world of difference every minute your on it. I have Ohlin's in the rear and Legends Axeo up front, best money spent ever!

The following users liked this post:
Bull369 (01-21-2021)
Old 01-17-2021 | 01:16 PM
tpcowfish
Road Warrior

Suspension, at least on my 14, more planted , better speed through twisty's, and better cam after warranty is gone, if that's a point,

Old 01-23-2021 | 09:16 PM
Sol-Invictus
Tourer

Originally Posted by foxtrapper
In all sincerity, with a history or a broken back and broken neck, is a Harley the right bike for you?

The Indian Roadmaster and Honda Goldwing are far better riding machines.
My 2020 Ultra feels a lot better than both of those bikes. A lot better.

The following users liked this post:
SWMB (01-24-2021)