Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Upgrade, Stage 2 or Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2021 | 03:53 PM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!

I did Legend Revo-A's before an S&S stage 2. I made the "mistake" of owning a motorcycle with good suspension and it really highlighted how bad the stock SG suspension is.

The following 2 users liked this post by Dynamick:
Fireball Jack (01-14-2021), SWMB (01-14-2021)
Old 01-14-2021 | 05:01 PM
Fireball Jack
Stellar HDF Member

I wonder how many that have done the suspension bought it on line with no support. It needs to be turned.

Old 01-14-2021 | 07:13 PM
EdwardK
Road Warrior

If you do two up riding, then definitely the suspension. Especially on a street glide with the 12" shocks. I'm surprised no has said it but your wife is sitting on top of the shock mounts. You think you are feeling the bumps, she's feeling it even more.

I put the ProAction shocks on the rear of the Limited. I took my wife for a quick ride after installing them and we barely made it out of the subdivision before she was telling me how much better it was for her. She thanked me for spending the $850.00. How often does your wife thank you for spending $850 on you bike? A couple of minor tweaks on the adjustment and it was even better. I too would recommend putting 13" shocks on it.

A Stage 2 upgrade is an awesome thing but you already have the 114. That's not enough cruising down the interstate with the cruise control on? Sounds like that's where most of your riding is done.

If it was a bar hopper, stage 2. A touring bike......comfort should always come before performance. Bling way way last.

The following users liked this post:
Bull369 (01-21-2021)
Old 01-14-2021 | 07:17 PM
dajogejr
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by victory11
I never avoided a road because of a lack of power. I have avoided roads because of a lack of suspension. U.S.131 between Pellston and the Mackinac Bridge before they fixed the road comes to mind.
C'mon down state brother.
North of Saginaw is where it starts to get nice...and West of metro Detroit.
But yeah...done that road dozens of times in the car for years, I hear ya.

Old 01-14-2021 | 07:21 PM
dajogejr
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Fireball Jack
I wonder how many that have done the suspension bought it on line with no support. It needs to be turned.
I'll go one step further.
Had my ohlins on my 05 with progressive monotubes up front. Great ride.
Put them on my 19 limited, had to change the setup.
Put legend axeo up front, change it again.
I was NOT happy with the way the Ohlins performed out back with the new front end until I set them back up...it was worse than stock.
Once I got the sag, compression and rebound set right...back to a great ride.

Old 01-14-2021 | 07:34 PM
Pete Larrier
Stage II

I did engine and braking work first. Then seat and bars then finally suspension. If I was doing it again I would definitely do seat and bar if necessary depending on height even floor boards. I think comfort and ergos mean the most. I’m somewhat of an aggressive rider so handling and long range are a big part of the ride. Plus there is a need to break the bike in anyways lol. Don’t forget LED’s and decent riding gear.
This is the fun part....

Old 01-14-2021 | 07:44 PM
johndoe297
Road Master

That's a good point on the LEDs. When I got my bike a year ago that's where most of my money went first. Safety, comfort, then performance IMHO. But to each his own.

Old 01-14-2021 | 08:18 PM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member

why do people rag on the factory suspension?
Because they rode another bike with better suspension!

My 2003 has Progressive fork internals and coil over rear shocks.
When I want to ride 2 up I crank the shocks up in the back and all is well
The rest of the time I dial them down for my weight

Now my 2013 Limited has every bell and whistle, including a stage 4 kit, the bike screams
Until recently when by buddy needed to borrow a bike here in FL he kept taking the 03 because the suspension was THAT MUCH BETTER than the 13, and the extra 25HP and Torque on the 13 didn't make up for the sh*t SHOWA suspension.

A couple of years ago I built a new set of forks for the 13, and for Fathers Day last year I bought a set of Bitubo's from DK Customs, and eventually (last month!) the parts and bike came together in Florida... got it up on the lift and slid the new forks in, changed the shocks, and now it is a completely different bike!

You don't know how lousy the stock suspension is until you ride something that is set up with quality parts and adjusted for proper sag and rebound

I'd rather have a bike that rides nice all the time than have an extra couple of HP/Torque that you are rarely going to need.

The following 3 users liked this post by Neggy ZRXOA 5248:
dajogejr (01-15-2021), johndoe297 (01-14-2021), Notgrownup (01-15-2021)
Old 01-14-2021 | 08:37 PM
victory11
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by dajogejr
C'mon down state brother.
North of Saginaw is where it starts to get nice...and West of metro Detroit.
But yeah...done that road dozens of times in the car for years, I hear ya.
I'm north of Traverse City.

The following users liked this post:
dajogejr (01-15-2021)
Old 01-15-2021 | 04:36 AM
Puglia10
Road Warrior

Depends what bothers you personally more, suspension or motor. My dad doesnt mind the stock suspension. I couldnt take them off fast enough.
I would do suspension first, then do a better cam when your warranty is up. My opinion.

Quick Reply: Which Upgrade, Stage 2 or Suspension