Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Upgrade, Stage 2 or Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2021 | 09:47 PM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member

I personally wouldn't go with a HD tq cam so my recommendation would be do the shocks and save the other money til you're ready to do a proper stage 2 that will yield much better results. Everyone has different opinions but in the end, it's your bike so go with your gut. Good luck sir!

The following users liked this post:
Bull369 (01-12-2021)
Old 01-12-2021 | 10:01 PM
internet troll
Road Master

Engine upgrade!!!

Brute power is far more important than the ability to control said power.......Does anyone give a sheet about shocks in their blown 502 Nova??? No way!!!

All kidding aside......my question is.....what are the roads like where you live? Im in upstate NY and NOTHING can be done to tame the potholes, road heaves and construction delays. Our riding seasons are short here. I tried to upgrade my suspension last season and was horribly disappointed. Everyone tells me 'oh, you need THESE shocks or you need THESE forks or you need to dial in each suspension part three times over'......Suspension upgrades always seem subjective to road conditions and rider preference and the perfect alignment of the moon and stars.

Horsepower upgrades are usually quite immediate and rewarding. Spend money, make bigger, go faster. More faster equals more smiles.

YRMV

The following 2 users liked this post by internet troll:
Bull369 (01-13-2021), Tail Rid'r (01-13-2021)
Old 01-13-2021 | 01:34 AM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member

An HD cam with an HD tuner to stay in warranty? I’d go with the best 13” Ohlins shocks I could afford a.

Bull369 (01-13-2021)
Old 01-13-2021 | 04:00 AM
vonh12
Road Warrior

Go shocks!! That bike starts with plenty of power and you can add to it later.

Bull369 (01-13-2021)
Old 01-13-2021 | 04:03 AM
TracerBullet
Seasoned HDF Member

For me, the torque cam. The bike rides fine for me and the cam is fantastic​​​​​. Just my two cents.

Bull369 (01-13-2021)
Old 01-13-2021 | 04:21 AM
kojak
Grand HDF Member

Did your street glide come with the hand adjustable Harley shocks?

Bull369 (01-13-2021)
Old 01-13-2021 | 05:41 AM
dajogejr
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by internet troll
All kidding aside......my question is.....what are the roads like where you live? Im in upstate NY and NOTHING can be done to tame the potholes, road heaves and construction delays. Our riding seasons are short here. I tried to upgrade my suspension last season and was horribly disappointed. Everyone tells me 'oh, you need THESE shocks or you need THESE forks or you need to dial in each suspension part three times over'......Suspension upgrades always seem subjective to road conditions and rider preference and the perfect alignment of the moon and stars.
You kinda nailed my first thoughts and then went 180 after.

In Michigan, roads suck. I dare to say worst...or some of the worst in the nation.
On my 19 limited, I put about 500 miles on from New until I swapped my Ohlins and put them on the back.
I noticed it, but the real kicker is when I went 2 up with the wife...she made it very clear to her the ride was much less harsh over frost heaves, train tracks, pot holes, etc.

Now, that being said...if the state you live in has generally nice roads, I'd go cam first.

This 114 does everything I "need" it to...so the stage 2 I do this season is a want.

Properly setup suspension not only gives a better ride but also keeps the tires in contact with the road, which also makes it a safety factor.
Only you can decide.

The following 2 users liked this post by dajogejr:
Bull369 (01-13-2021), MCSarge (01-13-2021)
Old 01-13-2021 | 05:55 AM
Screamin beagle
Seasoned HDF Member

Since nobody else has said it i will. Just do both. Whats another 1000 bucks in the grand scheme of things? Buy the cam for you and use the excuse of the wife's comfort and added safety factor for the suspension upgrade...women love to feel safe. Plus you can sell your stock shocks here for a couple hundred dollars and take the wife out for ride to a nice dinner...damn that was easy...ya got any other problems? I'm here for you. Lol

The following 2 users liked this post by Screamin beagle:
Bull369 (01-13-2021), Oko (01-14-2021)
Old 01-13-2021 | 05:56 AM
Ironworker69
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by internet troll
Engine upgrade!!!

Brute power is far more important than the ability to control said power.......Does anyone give a sheet about shocks in their blown 502 Nova??? No way!!!

Horsepower upgrades are usually quite immediate and rewarding. Spend money, make bigger, go faster. More faster equals more smiles.

YRMV
I changed my shocks and the difference was minimal, a lot of people won’t admit this after dropping $1,000.

The following 2 users liked this post by Ironworker69:
internet troll (01-13-2021), victory11 (01-13-2021)
Old 01-13-2021 | 06:40 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member

I understand the newer suspension is a bit better than previous versions but still , the people who say it’s just fine are probably not people that have upgraded to a better setup. If you’re not happy with the ride 100% then do the suspension first. I was amazed how crappy the setup on my 07 flhtc was after I installed the Progressive cartridges in the front and my Ohlins base coil overs on the rear. My wife also commented on why we didn’t do this earlier. Now my 14 year old bike rides like a quality bike. It no longer jars our backs.
we are now looking at a Tri glide and the suspension will be 2nd on the list after a new seat.

Bull369 (01-13-2021)

Quick Reply: Which Upgrade, Stage 2 or Suspension