Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 Tranny vs. 08 Tranny

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 04:26 PM
FLHDRIVER
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 07 Tranny vs. 08 Tranny

casique, I don't have the tranny noise either, got 4k + miles on the Ultra. I think the only ones who have it (tranny whine/noise) limp wrist the throttle, thus causing the bike to whine as it wants to be rode like it was meant to be. LMAO...

Old 07-31-2007, 06:09 PM
Domestic Violence
Stellar HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 30 Posts

neither---- i like my wife, not a tranny

Old 07-31-2007, 07:26 PM
DeepCobalt 07 street
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont get it. How the hell is this IDS Going to make the straight cut gears stop wining.
Doesn't make any sense to me. I must be missing something here.
[sm=boink3.gif]

Old 07-31-2007, 07:55 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 709 Likes on 352 Posts

ORIGINAL: FLHDRIVER

casique, I don't have the tranny noise either, got 4k + miles on the Ultra. I think the only ones who have it (tranny whine/noise) limp wrist the throttle, thus causing the bike to whine as it wants to be rode like it was meant to be. LMAO...
Damn I'm sick of hearing that. It's just not true.

Old 07-31-2007, 09:22 PM
ndotken
Road Captain

FLHDRIVER, since you ended your post with "LMAO" I guess that means you were being funny. So I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Otherwise, I would think you're an idiot. LMAO

Old 07-31-2007, 09:52 PM
Geezer Glide Bob
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

From what I am reading, your thinking the Isolated Drive System is the key to why the 08's don't have any tranny noise? How is this? Can someone explain to me on your reasoning to why you think this is the trick?

Bob

Old 07-31-2007, 11:36 PM
alexcue
Road Master

its probably helping the clattering that some report, not the whine

Old 08-01-2007, 06:58 AM
FLHDRIVER
Tourer

ORIGINAL: ndotken

FLHDRIVER, since you ended your post with "LMAO" I guess that means you were being funny. So I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Otherwise, I would think you're an idiot. LMAO

Yeah, was meant to be funny. Glad someone else has a sense of humor here.

Old 08-01-2007, 07:31 AM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

The whine has never bothered me. It sounds exactly like a good set of straight-cut gears should. I can get clatter from them when I try to run at 40 and below, but that's about like saying my elbow hurts when I try to bend it backwards.

Old 08-01-2007, 12:09 PM
mtuck318
Novice

My best guess is isolation drive at the rear sprocket dampens harmonics produced either at the compensator sprocket or in the transmission gear or or crank shaft or primary chain tensioners. Each component is interconnected and can broadcast noise throughout the drive train.

Kind of like tuning a guitar. If I dampen oscillations at some operating frequency, I am filtering out unwanted noise (clattering). For example, if I am operating the bike at 1800 to 2000 revolution per minute while in 5th gear, my RG clatters like a bastages. I desire to dampen or "isolate" the clattering in this rpm range. I tune or filter the frequency response / noise of the drive train from rear sprocket. This is the cheapest way to do it. I would not have to change the transmission gears nor compensating sprocket in the primary nor worry about the crank shaft dancing about its main bearing.

Look at the isolating compensation sprocket as a means to lessen the vibration from the rest of the drivetrain. I guess the rubber in the sprocket absorbs or dissipates the harmonic vibration at a ranges of drivetrain operating frequencies.

I am just an electrical engineer. A mechanical engineer can explain it more accurately than I can.

Tuck

Quick Reply: 07 Tranny vs. 08 Tranny