Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing windshield

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 12:13 PM
madurodave
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Installing windshield

ORIGINAL: petemac

Dumb question....I'm trying to put my windshield back on but the spring things on both sides don't seem to want to seat snugly. They are supposed to right? I installed it like the service manual said; lower grommets first and then push back on the top of the windshield to seat the windshield into the upper grommets. That all worked, but it seems the springs should be engaged somehow, but they are just sitting loose above the rubber grommets. And if I pull the top of the windshield towards me it will move. So I missed something.

Like I said....dumb question. [:@]
Petemac,

The springs sit loose. They do not latch on to anything. I was concerned about this the 1st time I put my windshield back on too. Just remember, the force of the wind will hold the windshield on anyway!

You would have to ride fast backwards to have any windshield issues!

Old 07-31-2007, 12:27 PM
harleyplay
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found that the "springs" on mine are pretty easy to bend so they can fit over the top gromets. The metal is soft ... not spring steel.

Old 07-31-2007, 12:35 PM
Firetender
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Standing at the front of the bike, pull forward on the windshield. If it comes forward easily, tighten the nuts on the sides at the top where the windsheild engages into. This makes the windshield harder to push off. You don't want to know what a sudden blast of high wind can do to a windshield spinning across a parking lot. Have you ever seen a frisbee? Don't ask me how I know.

Old 07-31-2007, 01:23 PM
HogBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I stand in front of mine, grab the clips (springs) pull towards me and w/s comes off. I repeat the process when I want to re-install it and haven't had any problems. It's rock solid.

Old 07-31-2007, 01:55 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Some days I feel like I'm going backwards.....

ORIGINAL: madurodave

Dumb question....I'm trying to put my windshield back on but the spring things on both sides don't seem to want to seat snugly. They are supposed to right? I installed it like the service manual said; lower grommets first and then push back on the top of the windshield to seat the windshield into the upper grommets. That all worked, but it seems the springs should be engaged somehow, but they are just sitting loose above the rubber grommets. And if I pull the top of the windshield towards me it will move. So I missed something.

Like I said....dumb question. [:@]
Petemac,

The springs sit loose. They do not latch on to anything. I was concerned about this the 1st time I put my windshield back on too. Just remember, the force of the wind will hold the windshield on anyway!

You would have to ride fast backwards to have any windshield issues!

Old 07-31-2007, 01:57 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member

Thanks, I'll check this out. I have this nightmare I'm riding down the highway at 80 and my windshield flies off like the house inthe Wizard of Oz.

ORIGINAL: Firetender

Standing at the front of the bike, pull forward on the windshield. If it comes forward easily, tighten the nuts on the sides at the top where the windsheild engages into. This makes the windshield harder to push off. You don't want to know what a sudden blast of high wind can do to a windshield spinning across a parking lot. Have you ever seen a frisbee? Don't ask me how I know.

Old 07-31-2007, 02:00 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member

Thanks.

Old 07-31-2007, 02:00 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member

Thanks.

ORIGINAL: harleyplay

I found that the "springs" on mine are pretty easy to bend so they can fit over the top gromets. The metal is soft ... not spring steel.

Old 07-31-2007, 02:40 PM
Firetender
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks, I'll check this out. I have this nightmare I'm riding down the highway at 80 and my windshield flies off like the house inthe Wizard of Oz.

ORIGINAL: Firetender

My bike was parked at a viewpoint overlooking the desert. It was a day with 40 - 50 mph gusts in the passes. The results weren't pretty, the windshield and the frame (front) of it was deeply gouged and scratched. If it wasn't for the low rock row below the guardrail, the thing would have been long gone. It wasn't cheap, even off Ebay! I learned to keep the nuts snugged. No problems since!