Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My dealer said ride it so I did....

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007 | 08:31 PM
Radical
|
Tourer
Default My dealer said ride it so I did....

I had my 07 RKClassic into the dealer for the noisy tranny again and he said it's normal just ride it. I took it for a quick 800 mile trip and it ran great even in 5th gear....once I got it up to about 70 mph. The clatter almost was totally gone at this speed or maybe I just couldn't hear it so I'm thinking that maybe it's 4th to about 60 and then 5th up to 72 before hitting 6th. I could pound the crap out of it in 5th and shoot up to85 with no problem.Hell it held together so I'm just going to ride it until it comes apart. After pushing it hard the bike actually seemed to run better. I set the cruise control at 72 in 5th gear for let her go for better than an hour before I had to gas up....got back on and did the same for the next 2 hours. It's under warranty so I'm going to ride it and ride it where it sounds and runs the best. My 07 is going to run it's *** off,clatter and all, although notmuch clatter if I shift at a higher speed.

Old 07-30-2007 | 08:43 PM
ricks
Intermediate
Default RE: My dealer said ride it so I did....

My 07 Road King Classic made noise also. I just road it. I never abused it though. I did not lug 5th or 6th gear. It now has close to 10,000 miles. I am quite happy with it. The noise and clatter did decrease.

Thanks Rick

Old 07-30-2007 | 08:46 PM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member

I don't have an 07, so don't have the same issue with my bike, but I'm running Redline Heavy Shock in the trans. Wonder if that would help with the clattering.

Old 07-30-2007 | 08:46 PM
madurodave
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Radical

I had my 07 RKClassic into the dealer for the noisy tranny again and he said it's normal just ride it. I took it for a quick 800 mile trip and it ran great even in 5th gear....once I got it up to about 70 mph. The clatter almost was totally gone at this speed or maybe I just couldn't hear it so I'm thinking that maybe it's 4th to about 60 and then 5th up to 72 before hitting 6th. I could pound the crap out of it in 5th and shoot up to85 with no problem.Hell it held together so I'm just going to ride it until it comes apart. After pushing it hard the bike actually seemed to run better. I set the cruise control at 72 in 5th gear for let her go for better than an hour before I had to gas up....got back on and did the same for the next 2 hours. It's under warranty so I'm going to ride it and ride it where it sounds and runs the best. My 07 is going to run it's *** off,clatter and all, although notmuch clatter if I shift at a higher speed.
Just ride it. I have 5500 miles on mine. It whines in 5th, but not too bad. Mobil 1 85/140 wt gear oil helped quiet it slightly as well.

With my Rineharts, I can barely hear the whine!

Old 07-30-2007 | 08:55 PM
Ol Biker
Road Master

Either I'm really deaf or the "whine" really isn't "that bad." Having just gotten the '07 Ultra, my maiden voyage was from Marietta, GA back to Stafford, VA (680 miles on the interstate route I took). I have to say, the Ultra is MUCH quieter than my '01 RKC, especially the top-end clatter, or lack there of. I wound it up in 4th, cruisin at 70; lugged it in 5th, runnin 55; and ran in 6th at 85. I've got no complaints - except the stock seat has to go. LOL. Maybe I'm just missing it!??? The only issue I have with the Ultrra is that it's too easy to go fast and not realize just how fast you're goin'.

Old 07-30-2007 | 09:00 PM
drdiesel1
Road Captain

You need to be 70 MPH and above to run 6th gear...PERIOD..............[8D]

Old 07-30-2007 | 09:01 PM
hubble
Tourer

What he said
ORIGINAL: Ol Biker

Either I'm really deaf or the "whine" really isn't "that bad." Having just gotten the '07 Ultra, my maiden voyage was from Marietta, GA back to Stafford, VA (680 miles on the interstate route I took). I have to say, the Ultra is MUCH quieter than my '01 RKC, especially the top-end clatter, or lack there of. I wound it up in 4th, cruisin at 70; lugged it in 5th, runnin 55; and ran in 6th at 85. I've got no complaints - except the stock seat has to go. LOL. Maybe I'm just missing it!??? The only issue I have with the Ultrra is that it's too easy to go fast and not realize just how fast you're goin'.

Old 07-30-2007 | 09:49 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

I wound it up in 4th, cruisin at 70; lugged it in 5th, runnin 55
That's only "wound up" to 3700 rpm, and 55 in 5th ain't lugging it. I don't get much complaining from the engine/tranny until down about 47/48 in 5th. Once I hit 60 it's going into 6th. All the time. It's a little hilly around here and what calls for about 10% throttle in 6th at 60 might only drop to 9% throttle in 5th. Granted, it'll accelerate a little snappier from 60 if I'm in 5th but the difference ain't nothin' to write home to mom about. It's just so much more relaxed in 6th I can't deny the bike's desire to run that way.

Old 07-30-2007 | 10:07 PM
Radical
|
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Taterdog

I don't have an 07, so don't have the same issue with my bike, but I'm running Redline Heavy Shock in the trans. Wonder if that would help with the clattering.
Thanks for the suggestion however been there done that. My whine decreased but the clatter continued. It did help but did not solve the problem or issue or normal orwhatever you want to call it.

Old 07-30-2007 | 10:19 PM
bikergeoff
Road Master

Was ridin next to my bro on his new 07 RG. When he's in 5th, I hear his tranny making noise like gremlins with hammers and chisels trying to get out... H-D says thats "normal"... I'll keep my 01, 5 gears is enough. Sounds like they put 10 lbs of chit in a 5 lb bag...

Quick Reply: My dealer said ride it so I did....