Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My dealer said ride it so I did....

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007 | 08:24 AM
Crusher
Road Master
Default RE: My dealer said ride it so I did....

I must be one of the lucky ones. Don't seem to have much if any noise in 5th gear. I find that 5th is lugging at anything under 55-60 and 6th lugs at 65-70. That's been my experience anyway.

HDBIKER.....on interstates at 70 your getting passed like an old lady in a wheel chair in the New York Marathon. BTW, a good friend of mine moved from NJ to Lebanon a few years ago. He rides a Norton.

Old 07-31-2007 | 08:27 AM
HogBoy
Outstanding HDF Member

Maybe back East your way. In a number of western states, it's 70+, especially in those long stretches across Montana--where you can really crank it.I mean--you may ride for an hour and not see anyone.You can pretty much exceed the posted limit by 5 mph, although some say 9 mph before you're asking for it in Western Washington. I won't hit 6th before I'm over 70+. It just doesn't run as sweetly. 6th for me is an overdrive gear for cruisin' at speed. My 07 likes 70+--period. I do a lot of riding in 5th gear because I don't gain anything dropping it into 6th with some of the hills we have.

Old 07-31-2007 | 09:11 AM
LowriderFXRS
Road Master

Mine runs just fine on flat roads @ 65 in 6th.

Old 07-31-2007 | 09:18 AM
bulldogmoe7
Ultimate HDF Member

the clatter sound i am just going to have to get use to it. harley aint going to do a thing about it. it will be up to us to figure it out and what to do. there are time i have been in 6th at 70 or so and had to slow down to 50 and it still ran fine hardly any "clattering" but i do change it to a lower gear right away though.
i hear the clattering at a constant speed in 5th gear. i just deal with it now. as far as i can see and from what i have read nothing is going to help. i do have 85-140 in the trannie though. i do like the heavier oil

Old 07-31-2007 | 09:26 AM
Lost1
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Hdbiker1450

Glad that you all are happy with the 07's. I was a little afraid when I heard all the talk about the clatter.
The only thing that bothers me is the speeds for 6th gear. Wasn't the whole point to lower RPM's and increase fuel mileage? To me, if you have to be running 70+, which is against the law in most states, you are defeating the purpose. Any comments, please?
My bike can run happily in 6th at 60 mph, so it all depends on who's riding and what they think the bike should sound like. Having been a mechanic for over 25 years I know what lugging is and my bike's not lugging at this speed.

Ignore the comments that you have to be above "X" speed or you're lugging it [sm=bs.gif]
Each bike is different and if a particular bike sounds happy at "X" speed in 6th, it probably is...

Old 07-31-2007 | 09:34 AM
Hdbiker1450
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Crusher

I must be one of the lucky ones. Don't seem to have much if any noise in 5th gear. I find that 5th is lugging at anything under 55-60 and 6th lugs at 65-70. That's been my experience anyway.

HDBIKER.....on interstates at 70 your getting passed like an old lady in a wheel chair in the New York Marathon. BTW, a good friend of mine moved from NJ to Lebanon a few years ago. He rides a Norton.
Don't believe I've seen his bike. What's he do here?

Old 07-31-2007 | 09:49 AM
Crusher
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Hdbiker1450
Don't believe I've seen his bike. What's he do here?
He is a sign painter by trade. Mostly lettering and graphics on cars, trucks, boats, ETC. He was also working for a friend that owns a Stair Manufacturing Company somewhere in or near Lebanon. His name is Howard.

Old 07-31-2007 | 06:18 PM
TexasRanger
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: drdiesel1

ORIGINAL: TexasRanger

I have 14,500 on mine. Most of my riding is two up with my fat *** and the wife's skinny one. I think that's why alot of you don't hear it - you never load it down. When I'm by myself it isn't that bad unless I'm going up a hill or really accelerating. It was really bad on our trip to Colorado with the two of us and another 50lbs of gear. The thing that helped was staying mostly in 3rd and 4th to get up and down the mountains.
I really think if you are going to give advice on any model of HD, then you should own one....but that's just my opinion.

Sounds like your riding at some very low speeds...If I`m in 6th gear, I keep the speed above 70 MPH. Otherwise I downshift accordingly. I keep the RPM`s above 2300 unless I`m riding intercity traffic. Then I run around in 3rd at 2000 RPM`s...
I can pull any hill in 6th gear as long as I stay with it. Otherwise it`s necessary to downshift.
I weight 200 LBS and the wife is 130. Shhhh.[8D]So I`m not really making it work a lot, but we have some steep hills out here in Kahlifornia
If your running slow uphill with a load, you will need to downshift.
Trust me, dude, it don't matter what gear I'm in, I'm running at least 3000 rpm (that includes 6th). I heard all that "yer luggin it crap" when I first brought it to the dealers attention on Aug 23, 2006 right after the first time I shifted into 5th gear. I came straight home and called them about it. Got a call back a few days later from a tech, told me "its the nature of the beast". Emailed the VP of quality and customer service about it. Got a callback from John who took a lot of notes. Told me if there was a fix I was on the list to get it.
You want me to ride it like a 125cc two stroke motocross bike? I got no problem doing that. But realize when you put a heavy load on the bike (me + wife+gear) you get a gawdaful noise. Even running it at 5000 rpms.

Old 07-31-2007 | 07:01 PM
streetglide007
Intermediate

Thank you , Texas Ranger. it appears that not everybody is experiencing the same noises. I'm sorry but if I can't cruise at 2200-2500 rpms on level ground or down grade in any gear without causing mechanical distress somethings just not right. I bought another Harley because I love the way they sound. If I've constantly got to have it wound up just to keep it from clattering it takes all the fun out of riding a Harley. Yeah, I love to wind'er up, but not constantly.These are TOURING bikes aren't they?I rode by buddy's 2000 Dyna the other night. THAT'S WHAT I LOVE!!! No noise in any gear, at all. Just a healthy clunk into gear and a little valve clatter...beautiful. This '07 noise can't, simply cannot, be a hard thing to fix. It's either the primary chain slapping or the trans itself. And whywon't it clatter in the first 4 gears, at all, not a sound, at ANY rpm? There has to be a good answer. And if Winchester Harley can't make it go away, I'll throw money at it myself to fix it. I just need to know what to look at first. I still love this bike! But admit that as a Harley customer I will definitely have a hard time going back if this issue isn't handled properly. It is a $20,000 investment. I trade in/update about every 5 years, I'm 43. Hmmm, I count about 5 more bikes in this run. Not to mention all the parts and accessories. Oh and what about word of mouth advertising. Sounds like the profitable thing would be for the MOCO to just step up and fix what needs fixin'!

Old 07-31-2007 | 07:27 PM
Radical
|
Tourer

I do agree with Steetglide007 that HD should fix it. I called another dealer today and he said that it might be the automatic primary chain tensionermechanism that might be defective. He said they have had 2 other bikes that needed to have this replaced and it solved the clattering issue. I have an appointment set up for Wed. next week and will let you know what they find. He seemed to actually care that I had a problem with the noise(clatter) and that it wasn't normal. He did say the whine is normal but the clattering is not. I'm still going to ride it as I did today although today the clatter seemed louder than before...could be my hearing but it sure seemed louder. Anyway good luck to all on getting this issue solved.

Quick Reply: My dealer said ride it so I did....