Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My dealer said ride it so I did....

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007 | 10:21 PM
drdiesel1
Road Captain
Default RE: My dealer said ride it so I did....

Thanks for the suggestion however been there done that. My whine decreased but the clatter continued. It did help but did not solve the problem or issue or normal orwhatever you want to call it.
So tell me this...When it clatter`s, what gear, what RPM`s and what speed`s are you@ Fifth gear whine is normal.[8D]

Old 07-30-2007 | 10:45 PM
teach
Cruiser

I have 2600+ on the odo of my new 07 which I picked up a few weeks ago. Yeah its a HD and makes some clatter if you lug the motor, and yep its a little noisier than a stock TC88, but no more so than my TC was with gear driven cams. I sure don't know what all the fuss is about, not to mention the claims that you need to be going 70+mph to use 6th gear. Shoot 60 mph and she's smooth as silk in 6th, better at 70+ but just fine at 60.
Not sure what you guys are expecting from a HD motor, but if you want smooth and quiet, buy a GoldWing......JMO

Old 07-30-2007 | 11:14 PM
Radical
|
Tourer

ORIGINAL: drdiesel1

Thanks for the suggestion however been there done that. My whine decreased but the clatter continued. It did help but did not solve the problem or issue or normal orwhatever you want to call it.
So tell me this...When it clatter`s, what gear, what RPM`s and what speed`s are you@ Fifth gear whine is normal.[8D]
When I shift into 5th gear I'm at about 60 mph and it clatters like crazy but as I increase speed it seems to tame down somewhat but never truly goes away. I put it on cruise control to keep a steady speed and when under load it clatters like whengoing upa hill...down hill you can barely hear it. I was running around 70-72mph.

Old 07-30-2007 | 11:21 PM
RBJones
Tourer

I rented an 07 Electraglide Classic in Tenn., a few weeks ago and my impression of the new motor/tranny is that HD intends for it to run at higher rpm than the 88 and it just takes getting used to operating in a different way. My 88 has Andrews 21 cams in it, which allow me to run in top gear from 45 mph up. The 96, with it's longer stroke, doesn't like to operate at the low rpms that a stock 88 does so that means running in 5th most of the time when you're riding back roads. I'm not used to it so it was annoying to run in 5th gear at 50-65 mph, because the engine is turning at a higher rpm than the 5th does at those speeds on an 88. There is also a low whine in 5th, but it's not that objectionable. If you don't keep the engine running at higher rpms you get the clatter everyone's been talking about. As someone said, 6th is for 70 mph or more and it really makes cruising at 75 mph a pleasure. I think I would get used to the new tranny over time, but I sure like to operate at chugging speed in top gear, which is one of the beauties of a big v-twin, and the 88 with the cams I have does that.

Old 07-30-2007 | 11:34 PM
RandyNC
Tourer

Just ride it...I think sometimes we tend to baby our bikes when we first get them, those tranny's are not going to break if you wind them up...it's what they are made for.

Old 07-30-2007 | 11:46 PM
TexasRanger
Road Warrior

I have 14,500 on mine. Most of my riding is two up with my fat *** and the wife's skinny one. I think that's why alot of you don't hear it - you never load it down. When I'm by myself it isn't that bad unless I'm going up a hill or really accelerating. It was really bad on our trip to Colorado with the two of us and another 50lbs of gear. The thing that helped was staying mostly in 3rd and 4th to get up and down the mountains.
I really think if you are going to give advice on any model of HD, then you should own one....but that's just my opinion.

Old 07-31-2007 | 12:00 AM
Radical
|
Tourer

ORIGINAL: TexasRanger

I really think if you are going to give advice on any model of HD, then you should own one....but that's just my opinion.
I'm not sure I understand...I do own an 07 RKClassic but also agree with your statement.

Old 07-31-2007 | 02:32 AM
drdiesel1
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: TexasRanger

I have 14,500 on mine. Most of my riding is two up with my fat *** and the wife's skinny one. I think that's why alot of you don't hear it - you never load it down. When I'm by myself it isn't that bad unless I'm going up a hill or really accelerating. It was really bad on our trip to Colorado with the two of us and another 50lbs of gear. The thing that helped was staying mostly in 3rd and 4th to get up and down the mountains.

Sounds like your riding at some very low speeds...If I`m in 6th gear, I keep the speed above 70 MPH. Otherwise I downshift accordingly. I keep the RPM`s above 2300 unless I`m riding intercity traffic. Then I run around in 3rd at 2000 RPM`s...
I can pull any hill in 6th gear as long as I stay with it. Otherwise it`s necessary to downshift.
I weight 200 LBS and the wife is 130. Shhhh.[8D]So I`m not really making it work a lot, but we have some steep hills out here in Kahlifornia
If your running slow uphill with a load, you will need to downshift.

Old 07-31-2007 | 08:00 AM
mchildree
Road Captain

I like the whine/clatter....lets me know I'm in 5th gear. Sounds happy to me.

Old 07-31-2007 | 08:09 AM
Hdbiker1450
Road Warrior

Glad that you all are happy with the 07's. I was a little afraid when I heard all the talk about the clatter.
The only thing that bothers me is the speeds for 6th gear. Wasn't the whole point to lower RPM's and increase fuel mileage? To me, if you have to be running 70+, which is against the law in most states, you are defeating the purpose. Any comments, please?

Quick Reply: My dealer said ride it so I did....