Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Detachable Tour Pack Conversion Kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2020 | 11:28 PM
Jayc71
|
Advanced
Veteran: Air Force
Default HD Detachable Tour Pack Conversion Kit

2020 FLHTK, looking at this kit for the days I'm just riding around town without the Mrs on back but not sure if it's worth it at $500+. Some questions for anyone who's got one.

- You have to stick the included turn signals onto your bags and use the included wiring harness to hook them up, can you hook up both? Can those work with the tour pack mounted?
- How much of a pain in the butt is it to remove and re-attach the tour pack and wire everything up?
- How do you manage all the wires for the tour pack when it's not attached? Are they attached under the seat or do they come off with the tour pack?
- I've read the wiring with the kit installed can scratch up your rear fender?
- Any other gotchas to consider?

Thanks!

Old 12-30-2020 | 05:32 AM
thegars
Intermediate

10 minutes to change from no tour pack to having one...lights all work together or not...extra wires when removed for under seat by battery...love my Ultra/almost Street Glide... and for long trips...10 minutes and we’re an Ultra Limited again!

Old 12-30-2020 | 06:31 AM
Fireball Jack
Stellar HDF Member

The Pak is held onto the mount with 4 7/16ths nuts. I remove the pak from the rack, install the quick disconnect rack then drop the tour pack on. The reason I do that is the pak is so wide I can not see the docking mount and I am afraid of scraching the bike. It takes about 15 mins to install. once you add the quick docking hardware you lose the tray that holds the tour pak wiring. That is where you can scratch your fender. I use zip ties and mounts to hold the wires up and keep them from the fender.
https://ziptie.com/specialty-ties/ca...BoCXgIQAvD_BwE

Old 12-30-2020 | 06:39 AM
Hoginedgewood
Stellar HDF Member

Got a detachable for my 19 road king, always handy stuff in there. It's also heavy and awkward with a high risk of scratching paint.
I will never remove it for fun.

The following users liked this post:
Fireball Jack (12-30-2020)
Old 12-30-2020 | 07:14 AM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

After I bought my '14 Ultra Limited, I had the detachable kit for a couple of years. There are several things I didn't like about it.

1) Taking the tour pak off is one thing. Getting it back on by yourself can be a PITA. There is the real potential of scratching the paint on your fender when trying to mount the tour pak by yourself. Don't ask me how I know.
2) You lose your rear speakers.
3) You have to relocate the AM/FM antenna. The provided antenna mounting bracket looks cheesy and cheap. In my case, I lost the use of my CB because there is no place to mount the CB antenna.
4) You have to relocate the license plate. Again, a cheesy and cheap solution.
5) The detachable tour pak mounting bracket provides no way to keep the wire harness off the fender like the OEM one does. The harness rubbed the paint on my fender. You can fabricate a shelf, but I didn't know that at the time of the installation.
6) You have to mount lights on your saddlebags. Personally, I didn't like the look of them. The good thing is they're LEDs, but the stock brake light is not, so they don't match. I ended up buying/installing a matching LED brake light. More money.

I ended up going back to stock because the benefits of having the detachable setup weren't worth it for me because of the above reasons. I like having my rear speakers and I like having the extra storage.

Jayc71 (12-30-2020)
Old 12-31-2020 | 01:10 PM
seanl
Road Master

My brother just bought a 2020 CVO Ultra....he was torn between this and CVO Street Glide but wanted the softer (taller) suspension of the Ultra but has tasked me with figuring out how to remove the Tour Pack while ensuring he has ample rear lighting and of course turn signals. The Tour Pack will be off 90+% of the time, with it being replaced by a small backrest and a sleek luggage rack. He doesn't seem to care about the rear speakers as his hearing is shot due to his time in the Army so I'm not going to worry about that for now.

The HD kit isn't bad, but as noted it's not optimal, so we'll need a few extra things to do it the way I would if it was my bike. We'll use the Custom Dynamics curved license plate relo kit to put the plate below the tail light paired with a CD LED license plate frame. I believe we'll also use smoked LED saddlebag mounted turn signals from CD as well, they are good match for the CVO smoked LED Taillight, although we're also considering filler panel style turns. Unfortunately, to do the CVO Street Glide style turns we'd need a SG fender, and that's not happening.

It's definitely a bit more work than the RK to Street Glide rear fender swap I did back in September, and given the CVO has a LOT more wiring than my hot rod RK, we'll be outsourcing the work to one of the local HD shops.

I'll post some after pics in a few weeks. I rode my first batwing'd bike yesterday, it's not quite the same experience as my Fuel Moto powered 107 RK, that's for sure!

Jayc71 (01-01-2021)
Old 01-01-2021 | 09:20 AM
Dsm Limited
Club Member
Riders Club Member

I did the detach kit for a couple reasons.

1) Ability to remove
2) Ability to move it to solo position

As stated above, without help you run the risk of scratching your fender. Without forethought with the tp on, the wiring will scratch the fender. The saddlebag lights work well, but a taillight change to me is almost mandatory. The license plate mount in the kit displays the plate like a billboard. Modding the bracket is doable and imho, mandatory.

If I were to do it over, I'd buy the detach hardware and detach bracket separate along with the license plate relocate bracket. I'd then use Custom Dynamics Filler Lights instead of the saddlebag lights. As far as radio and cb antennas, I don't use either. I either use a USB stick or stream from my phone, I don't listen to radio.

Removed...notice the license plate layed back

Solo rack installed

Solo rack on a trip, also shows the license plate layed back

Jayc71 (01-01-2021)
Old 01-01-2021 | 08:12 PM
Jayc71
|
Advanced
Veteran: Air Force

Originally Posted by Dsm Limited
I did the detach kit for a couple reasons.

1) Ability to remove
2) Ability to move it to solo position

As stated above, without help you run the risk of scratching your fender. Without forethought with the tp on, the wiring will scratch the fender. The saddlebag lights work well, but a taillight change to me is almost mandatory. The license plate mount in the kit displays the plate like a billboard. Modding the bracket is doable and imho, mandatory.

If I were to do it over, I'd buy the detach hardware and detach bracket separate along with the license plate relocate bracket. I'd then use Custom Dynamics Filler Lights instead of the saddlebag lights. As far as radio and cb antennas, I don't use either. I either use a USB stick or stream from my phone, I don't listen to radio.
Removed...notice the license plate layed back
Solo rack installed

Solo rack on a trip, also shows the license plate layed back
The solo mount looks pretty good actually, that's not the HD part is it? At least not seeing it as an option for the 2020 UL.

Old 01-02-2021 | 07:55 AM
Dsm Limited
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by Jayc71
The solo mount looks pretty good actually, that's not the HD part is it? At least not seeing it as an option for the 2020 UL.
It is an HD part, but not available in the kit. It's sold separately.

Jayc71 (01-02-2021)
Old 01-02-2021 | 08:22 AM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by Jayc71
I don't know if this affects everyone or not, but I've read that the tour pak is still too far back to use it as a backrest when riding solo, even though that's what it is designed to do. Just sayin'...

Quick Reply: HD Detachable Tour Pack Conversion Kit