Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Detachable Tour Pack Conversion Kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2021 | 08:36 AM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by GalvTexGuy
I don't know if this affects everyone or not, but I've read that the tour pak is still too far back to use it as a backrest when riding solo, even though that's what it is designed to do. Just sayin'...
For me, using the solo bracket the tour pack was a couple inches too far back for me, but I had a neighbor that it was perfect for him, I don't have short arms and his weren't any longer than mine. Riding styles??? I have a RGU and his was a Ultra Limited??? His was using a King tour pack, and I tried a King and a Chopped. I made a way to adjust mine sit a couple more inches closer, and redid the chopped back rest and now its perfect. I now just leave the solo set up with the chopped, and the two up with the king... plus I can't kick my leg over the king in a solo setup anyway lol
But for some they work on the solo rack without modifications...
My signature pic is a chopped on a solo bracket

Old 01-02-2021 | 01:42 PM
Ragnorok
Advanced
Veteran: Army

Didn't know this could be solo mounted. Mine came with the short tour pack, which I like, but the idea of it doubling as a back rest is very appealing. Just another thing to look into. lol...

Old 01-02-2021 | 04:15 PM
30glock
Road Warrior

FWIW I didn't purchase the Kit, My TP is off 95% of the time so I just undo the bolts remove TP and I'm done, For my long trips, it takes 20min to reinstall and I like the way it feels secured vs the docking Kit. Custom D has the LED Bag lights if you need them.

The following 2 users liked this post by 30glock:
GalvTexGuy (01-02-2021), Jayc71 (01-02-2021)
Old 01-03-2021 | 10:33 AM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Jayc71
2020 FLHTK, looking at this kit for the days I'm just riding around town without the Mrs on back but not sure if it's worth it at $500+. Some questions for anyone who's got one.
- You have to stick the included turn signals onto your bags and use the included wiring harness to hook them up, can you hook up both? Can those work with the tour pack mounted?
- How much of a pain in the butt is it to remove and re-attach the tour pack and wire everything up?
- How do you manage all the wires for the tour pack when it's not attached? Are they attached under the seat or do they come off with the tour pack?
- I've read the wiring with the kit installed can scratch up your rear fender?
- Any other gotchas to consider?
Thanks!
Your Questions
1) I got the dealer to trade out the bag lights from the kit to the slot lights (HD's Keystone ElectraGlo), for the turn signals & I just paid the difference between the two. I have since went with Custom Dynamic's instead of the HD ones. Yes they stay hooked up and work great with or without the tour pack.

2) The wiring is easy, 2 connectors in front of tour pack or under the seat (1 for lighting and 1 for the audio stuff) and then the 2 antennas (1 if you don't have a CB). Takes a minute to unhook/hook up.
3) When the tour packs off, I coiled the wires up and basically lay them on top of the battery under the seat.
4) The factory, or rigid tour pack rack, has a "shelf" that the wiring harness clip too. The quick disconnect ones do not, so the wires lay on the fender. People do a ton of different things to protect the fender from connectors rubbing them (wrap the connector in felt, zip-ties, etc). I made a "shelf" for my QD bracket, got the idea from another post on here, and use velcro strips to secure the harness up off the fender. This is the template I made out of flimsy material, and once I got it the way I wanted I used thicker, sturdier material.

Kinda hard to see, but just bolted it on using 2 of the nuts already under there.

The antennas have to be dealt with however works best for your particular needs. I used the HD hidden AM/FM in the fairing and it works fine for me. I notice no difference over the stock setup, but I rarely listen to FM. The CB was completely different... I couldn't get a hidden antenna to work worth a damn for the CB (I tried HD's and a J&M), so I went with a "relocation kit" (see first pic) for when the tour pack is off and I put the stock antenna on it. When the King tour pack is on I put the antenna on the tour pack's stud (then switch the antenna connector under the seat while I'm connecting the other two connectors for the tour pack's lights & audio).

The tag is the other item... I didn't care for the bracket that came with the kit, so I chose to drill and mount one below the tail light. I used a Custom Dynamics frame with LEDs and a brake light lens without the clear tag windows, from a Road King i believe (see first pic).

I like the quick connect mounts because I can run the bike however I want and can swap it around in literally a few minutes. Most important thing to me is to be careful when putting the tour pack on... easy to scratch the fender with the bracket, while getting it lined up, when doing it by myself. I also have a luggage rack and passenger backrest I can put on if the tour pack is off.

Stock set up, which I usually only set it up this way on long road trips, 2-up riding, or if I need the bigger tour pack.

Chopped Solo, I use quite a bit on shorter 2-3 trips and day cruising.

How it is 90% of the time lol

Sorry for all the pics!
We're about to do another bike and for that we just bought the HD QD dock used for $125 w/the chrome caps and a used HD chrome two-up bracket for about the same price. Then he's using a hidden antenna for AM/FM (no CB) and got the Custom Dynamics tag base, lit tag frame, and slot lights... won't save any money over the "kit", but it will be done the way he likes it.

Last edited by Ssitruc; 01-03-2021 at 11:13 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Jayc71 (01-03-2021)
Old 02-25-2021 | 08:12 PM
bunk216
Cruiser

Asking for a friend who isn't on the forums... he's got a 2018 CVO and looking to do the removable pack. The dealer is telling him that because it has the boom audio if he pulls it the bike will throw a check engine light due to the speaker disconnect. They say it's only on CVOs. Bike will run fine just have the light on. After I got my street glide he's really itching to pull the pack. Here is a pic of his bike

Can anyone with a cvo confirm this that's done a pack removal?

Old 02-25-2021 | 08:21 PM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

My 2020 isn't a CVO, but it does have rear speakers. When my TourPak is removed, I do get a trouble code for the rear speakers being gone, but it's a process to pull up codes. There is no check engine light for this code, nor is there any indication that I have trouble codes that need to be reviewed.

The following users liked this post:
bunk216 (02-25-2021)
Old 02-25-2021 | 09:01 PM
bunk216
Cruiser

Ok cool good to know. I appreciate your feedback. Might be worth unplugging everything and see what it does.

Old 02-25-2021 | 10:53 PM
RET_SCPO
Extreme HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by Jayc71
2020 FLHTK, looking at this kit for the days I'm just riding around town without the Mrs on back but not sure if it's worth it at $500+. Some questions for anyone who's got one.

- You have to stick the included turn signals onto your bags and use the included wiring harness to hook them up, can you hook up both? Can those work with the tour pack mounted?
- How much of a pain in the butt is it to remove and re-attach the tour pack and wire everything up?
- How do you manage all the wires for the tour pack when it's not attached? Are they attached under the seat or do they come off with the tour pack?
- I've read the wiring with the kit installed can scratch up your rear fender?
- Any other gotchas to consider?

Thanks!

I went a different route and created my own tour pack detach kit. I didn't necessarily save any money doing it this way but there were just too many things I didn't like that came with the detach kit.

Starting with the lights that attach to the saddle bags below the lids. I wasn't a fan of having to disconnect the wires to remove the saddle bags and I didn't like the way they look. I opted for the filler lights instead. They worked all the time as blinkers and brake lights.

I also didn't like the antenna relocation kit. I opted for the hidden antenna in the fairing instead. Some people say that you lose some radio reception but I'm still able to pick up everything just fine and I don't listen to radio stations often anyways. I also enjoy not seeing the antenna sticking up in the back.

I also didn't care for the license plate relocation kit. I added the filler lights and removed the tail light/brake light. I fabricated a license plate bracket that utilized the screw hole for the rear tail light and added a personalized motorcycle frame.

Earlier in this thread there is a photo of a piece of plexi-glass that goes between the bottom of the TourPak and the TourPak mount which creates a nice shelf to stow the wires when the TourPak is installed. I fabricated the same thing and it works great. When the TourPak is removed the wires are stowed under the seat.

80% of the time I'm riding around with the TourPak installed. I like the option of removing it as it's like having two different motorcycles and it's nice if I'm just scootin' around solo on some day rides. The bike feels lighter and is more fun in the curves. It can be a little cumbersome installing it by yourself but if you're careful, scratching the paint on your rear fender is a non-issue. I no longer have the filler lights since swapping out my rear fender which has the lights built in. I've also added the yaffee stealth 3 license plate mount.

Old 02-26-2021 | 08:46 AM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Redbeard719
My 2020 isn't a CVO, but it does have rear speakers. When my TourPak is removed, I do get a trouble code for the rear speakers being gone, but it's a process to pull up codes. There is no check engine light for this code, nor is there any indication that I have trouble codes that need to be reviewed.
Something to try, before I remove the tour-pack on my 16 RGU I go to the fader settings and adjust all sound completely to the front speakers (all the way forward) and I don't get speakers (radio) codes anymore. Even when I did get a code related to removing the tour-pack, it would correct itself, on its own, when the tour-pack was re-connected. Since moving the fader before taking the tour-pack off, then the only code(s) I'd get was for the rear blinkers when I had HD's Electra Glo Keystone slot lights on the bike. Due to the way those lights work, the bike wouldn't see those lights during arming security system, and if the tour-pack was off, it would kick a code thinking the rear bulbs were bad... put the tour-pack back on the code cleared themselves... I replaced the HD slot lights with CD's FillerZ and now the slot lights actually blink on arming like they should and no codes what so ever (with or without tour-pack).
Nor have I ever seen a CEL from having a tour-pack off, but... I don't have a CVO

Last edited by Ssitruc; 02-26-2021 at 09:00 AM.
Old 02-26-2021 | 10:49 AM
bunk216
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Ssitruc
Something to try, before I remove the tour-pack on my 16 RGU I go to the fader settings and adjust all sound completely to the front speakers (all the way forward) and I don't get speakers (radio) codes anymore. Even when I did get a code related to removing the tour-pack, it would correct itself, on its own, when the tour-pack was re-connected. Since moving the fader before taking the tour-pack off, then the only code(s) I'd get was for the rear blinkers when I had HD's Electra Glo Keystone slot lights on the bike. Due to the way those lights work, the bike wouldn't see those lights during arming security system, and if the tour-pack was off, it would kick a code thinking the rear bulbs were bad... put the tour-pack back on the code cleared themselves... I replaced the HD slot lights with CD's FillerZ and now the slot lights actually blink on arming like they should and no codes what so ever (with or without tour-pack).
Nor have I ever seen a CEL from having a tour-pack off, but... I don't have a CVO

That's a great idea. Thanks for the tip

Quick Reply: HD Detachable Tour Pack Conversion Kit