Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advan Black Chopped Tour Pak ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2020, 10:28 AM
RK_Classic
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,064 Likes on 2,685 Posts

Just throwing this out there, if your only going to use it a couple times a year, why not look at the ebay, amazon razor packs that are already black and save a ton of money.

rk classic.

Old 12-26-2020, 10:34 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 49,777 Likes on 19,310 Posts

Originally Posted by RK_Classic
Just throwing this out there, if your only going to use it a couple times a year, why not look at the ebay, amazon razor packs that are already black and save a ton of money.

rk classic.
Razor pack? ... Might be just as well off with a "fanny pack" ( I can't believe I just typed fanny pack ) :<(

The following users liked this post:
Hammerhead Pat (12-29-2020)
Old 12-26-2020, 11:09 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,351 Likes on 2,531 Posts

Originally Posted by JHC210
Just the tour pack, silver flux, chopped, from shopHarleyUtah is $807. That's no hinges, latches, liner, backrest and mount. Advan Black, I can get all of that for $910 with a 5% discount.
should come with hinges and latches, you will have to buy the lock. out of 4 tour packs that i've bought from hd, i've never had to buy hinges or latches. you can buy the same mount and backrest as the advan black from amazon or eBay to save money. sure, it's gonna be substantially more if you go all hd. but nothing says that you have to go that way.

if you don't mind vivid black, you can get a chopped tour pack off amazon, same quality as advanblack, just not painted, for less than $300.

whichever route you go, make sure that it comes with the metal reinforcing plate. the hd one does, don't know about advan, but the ones on amazon, some do, some don't.

Old 12-26-2020, 12:42 PM
jd05flhtci
Road Warrior
Received 311 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
should come with hinges and latches, you will have to buy the lock. out of 4 tour packs that i've bought from hd, i've never had to buy hinges or latches. you can buy the same mount and backrest as the advan black from amazon or eBay to save money. sure, it's gonna be substantially more if you go all hd. but nothing says that you have to go that way.

if you don't mind vivid black, you can get a chopped tour pack off amazon, same quality as advanblack, just not painted, for less than $300.

whichever route you go, make sure that it comes with the metal reinforcing plate. the hd one does, don't know about advan, but the ones on amazon, some do, some don't.
I bought one a few years ago on amazon for 300 in vivid black for my 16 vivid black street glide and still have the tour pack. I bought an 18 wicked red road glide special new in 2018 and wanted to have the tour pack match. I know the Harley ones come with the latches but wanted black latches and hinges. I priced the Advablack and the HD ones and still feel that the Advablack is a better value because you get the black latches, hinges, backrest, and metal plate for around the same money as the HD pack with chrome latches, hinges, and no backrest. The backrest from all others except HD is crap quality IMO we used one from HD

Old 12-26-2020, 03:06 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,351 Likes on 2,531 Posts

Originally Posted by jd05flhtci
I priced the Advablack and the HD ones and still feel that the Advablack is a better value because you get the black latches, hinges, backrest, and metal plate for around the same money as the HD pack with chrome latches, hinges, and no backrest. The backrest from all others except HD is crap quality IMO we used one from HD
everyone is going to have their own ideas about 'better value'. if you're happy with the route you chose, great.

for as little as i'm going to be using a tour pack, i went the other route. i took my tour pack from my 2013 down, and had it painted vivid black. cost me $250. i already had all the hinges, latches, mounts, pads, etc. so i'm running an 'old' chopped tour pack on a 2019 bike. can you tell the difference? sure. does it stick out like a sore thumb? not at all. i also changed out the horn cover to the older style as well, i think the 'waterfall' cover looks like a butt with 2 legs. i much prefer the older style. but that's the route i chose.

jd05flhtci (12-26-2020)
Old 12-26-2020, 05:52 PM
JHC210
Club Member
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammerdown77
You say the hinges and latches aren't included but in the P&A catalog it says they are. The lock kit is not included but it's like $43. Maybe you mean if you want gloss black latches and hinges that's extra, but on some of the painted offerings it may come with those, that I don't know.

I priced this all out last year and didn't see a huge advantage with going Advanblack if you are getting the tour pak painted (as someone already mentioned). Some of the reviews on YouTube show lower prices for the Advanblack than what I priced out, I don't know if they've raised their prices since those reviews or w hat.
I have purchased Harley parts since day one and would prefer but sometimes look to save money for other HD parts. I revisited the HD tour pack from ShopUtahHarley.com but it doesn't give me a description, only Kit, Chopped T-Pak, Silver Flux/Black Fuse. I'll have to call Monday and see what is included.

Old 12-27-2020, 07:59 AM
Hammerdown77
Tourer
Received 108 Likes on 90 Posts

Go to the Harley website and they will show in one of the pictures the same graphic that is in the P&A catalog book (the one you can look in or get at the dealer) that says what is included.

Actually, the P&A catalog seems to be the best source of info on Tour Paks, because it lists each size and the cost for each color offered for that year. The website doesn't really show that (not that I can find), it says "color matched" and gives the price for the base, Vivid Black, and then says to contact your dealer for other colors/prices. It does however show some models of the Tour Pak in special colors; they are like double the price of the Vivid Black versions.

Old 12-27-2020, 05:03 PM
cruzomatic
Road Master
Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts
SportySmitty (12-28-2020)
Old 12-27-2020, 05:05 PM
cruzomatic
Road Master
Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

The above is my Advan Black chopped tour pack, painted to match Hard Candy Red Flake, 2018 SGS

Old 12-27-2020, 05:45 PM
JHC210
Club Member
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Looks good Cruz.

Quick Reply: Advan Black Chopped Tour Pak ?