Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I crazy for wanting a helmet lock?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 10:08 AM
ianchris1
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Am I crazy for wanting a helmet lock?

I was talking to a friend of mine about getting a helmet lock for my bike. I had one on my Sporty, but haven't found one yet for the RK. Anyway, he laughed at me. Asked me "whydo youneed a helmet lock, no one will mess with your helmet or steal it". So the question is am I stupid? I mean, he rides with a novelty helmet so I guess it doesn't matter if that thing gets stolen or dropped, but I have a $150 HD helmet. (This isn't anything against novelty helmets, so please don't start flaming me for that remark)

Old 07-30-2007, 10:12 AM
UltraDuke
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Am I crazy for wanting a helmet lock?

If you dont feel safe leaving your helmet on your bike, then get one. personally if I pay alot for a helmet i am going to make sure it is there when i get back to the bike. Your friend has a novelty helmet that probably cost 15 bucks, i can see his view point.

Old 07-30-2007, 10:17 AM
dix
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not at all. Chances are it would be fine unlocked, but if you are worried about it, lock it up.

Old 07-30-2007, 10:18 AM
04harleyboy
Outstanding HDF Member

I would also like to find one for my Street Glide. It always seems that when I travel I never allow myself enough room to stow my helmet, and I never leave my ($180) helmet without being within view of it. JMHO. So if ya find one, let me know where.

Old 07-30-2007, 10:21 AM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Are you kidding me?..."No one will mess with your helmet or steal it"??? It happens all the time!!!! What a pain in the butt it would be to lose it while stopping for lunch on a great day's ride...notto mention the cost of replacing it.

Of course! ... it's a great idea to have a secure place to store your helmet!!! Period!

Old 07-30-2007, 10:26 AM
Domestic Violence
Stellar HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 28 Posts

work work helmet is pretty big. when angled the right way, itll fit in a hard saddle bag. when im off my work wheel, i keep it in the bag and wear my soft hat.

unless your lid is larger than mine (doubtful) or your bags are packed- lock it in a bag

Old 07-30-2007, 10:28 AM
ianchris1
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tried the Kury license plate mounted lock, but it didn't work too well. I ended up taking it back. It has to mount facing forward because of the RK plate mount, and I just hated having a huge bulky lock sticking out like that. I guess I am just amazed when I go to the dealers to see the number of helmets left in the open like that. If not for security think about if someone accidently bumps the bike and the helmet takes a fall. They put it back as they found it and ride off. You come out and now the effectiveness of your helmet has decreased. Maybe I am overly cautious, but when it comes to safety anything helps including keeping the helmet in good shape and not dropping! Then again, I do ride with a half helmet...
[sm=rant.gif]

Old 07-30-2007, 10:32 AM
ultrac06
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't worry about locking up my $250 helmet at motorcycle shops or motorcycle events. I like to think that my belongings aresafe around other bikers. So far no problems. I do worry about the punks and crack heads that are out in the general public that can and will steal from their own mother.

Old 07-30-2007, 10:33 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've never had one and doubt I'd get one. If I'm close to my bike, I'll leave the 1/2 helmet hanging from the throttle. If I'm away from the bike for a while or have my 3/4 or full hemet, I take it with me. If I had a Tourpac, I'd leave it in there.

Old 07-30-2007, 10:40 AM
RK_Dave
Cruiser

I'd like one. Leaving my helmet behind is not something I like doing, but for now, I do. If you find a good solution, please post it!

Dave...

Quick Reply: Am I crazy for wanting a helmet lock?