Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I crazy for wanting a helmet lock?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 05:25 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts
Default RE: Am I crazy for wanting a helmet lock?

Unlike bikergirl40 and Nilsa210, I have never heard anyone say that they had a helmet stolen but, if it makes you feel better why not lock it.

Old 07-30-2007, 06:10 PM
Ghosty
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unfortunately my Nolan helmet doesn't have any "D" ring so I have to take it with me or leave it unsecured. Wouldn't mind having a tour pack to put my helmet in. My luggage rack and my passenger backrest concern me as well. Too easy to remove from the docking setup. I believe the MOCO makes locks for the quick disconnect racks and back rests. Will have to look into that.

Old 07-30-2007, 08:26 PM
curmudgeon
Cruiser

Just a reminder for you folks that live in places that it rains, don't hang your helmet so that it catches the rain like a bucket.

Old 07-30-2007, 09:14 PM
flyslow
Road Captain

Cheapest and excellent helmet lock and what i do is go to the local Sheriff or Police department. Ask for a pistol lock. They have cables that are about 12 inches long and a pad lock on the end. Two keys so you can stash one somewhere on the bike or on a key ring. They are always giving these things out. They are fully insulated and coated with a plastic coating so no scratches.

Best part is they are free. I keep one on the bike all of the time when I have the tour pak full.

Old 07-30-2007, 09:28 PM
bikergeoff
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had a DOT H-D helmet and a "novelty" both stolen in less than a month. The H-D helmet was stolen off my Sporty at an ABATE meeting. The novelty was taken off the seat of a buddy's Wide Glide I was riding for the day. (he had my Ultra) I was parked at my local stealer for a car/bike show... Now I use a gun cable on my Sporty and I lock up the tour pack if I'm on my Ultra...

Old 07-30-2007, 09:57 PM
theoldguy
Tourer

ORIGINAL: BG Weasel

Has anybody ever had a helmet actually stolen? I haven't.
Yeah, I have. They took mine but hers was locked on the bike (only big enough to fit one lid) and guess what... I get to do the happy dance with nice LEO that wanted to know why I wasn't wearing a helmet. I don't have a lock on my bike and have no qualms whatsoever about carryin my lid when I stop somewhere

Old 07-30-2007, 10:37 PM
alwilson
Road Master

ilock myhelmet all the time, you don,t know whos out there.

Old 07-30-2007, 11:06 PM
teach
Cruiser

Well if you want a helmet lock, go for it.... however in 35+ years I have never had a my lid stolen and I leave it on the seat unlocked all the time ($250 modular)(ok only when traveling cause I'm lidless local). HD sells a universal bar mounted lidlock.

Old 07-30-2007, 11:20 PM
atexn4christ
Road Master

I put the strap with the D rings in-side my bag and close the lid on it. If someone wants it bad enough they will take it. They may take the bag with it also, but I'm not gonna worry to much.

Old 06-13-2009, 09:55 AM
Sweetbaboo
Road Master

I just leave mine on. It's an HD helmet that matches my HD jacket, shirt, belt, socks, boxers, pants, boots, and gloves. I really don't won't to interupt the HD clothing style flow by taking my helmet off; I paid alot of money to look like the guys in the catalog. Besides, it's great fun watching the facial expressions as I back into the stall in the mens restroom with a helmet on.

Last edited by Sweetbaboo; 06-13-2009 at 09:57 AM.

Quick Reply: Am I crazy for wanting a helmet lock?