Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I crazy for wanting a helmet lock?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 10:46 AM
Beancount1
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Am I crazy for wanting a helmet lock?

I have an Arai helmet and use a coiled combination lock (from Target) that I attached to my luggage carrier behind the passenger backrest. It's long enough to put through 2 helmets.

Old 07-30-2007, 10:46 AM
huskers11
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

My prior bike, a metric, had a helmet lock. I don't know why HD does put them on their bikes. When I first got my HD I was looking all over the bike b/c I thought it probably had one.

Old 07-30-2007, 10:56 AM
Romaninaz
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use a really small steel cable lock that I purchased at one of the bike shows.Wassold as a jacket lock which I needed on those days when you didn't want to haul your jacket around but wanted to leave it on the bike...( before I got a bagger ).. The ones on the internet seem too large. Look for them at the next show, they fit in your front pocket since their so small. Now I just clip the helmet to the tour rack and leave it on the passenger seat.

Old 07-30-2007, 11:01 AM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: ultrac06

I don't worry about locking up my $250 helmet at motorcycle shops or motorcycle events. I like to think that my belongings aresafe around other bikers. So far no problems. I do worry about the punks and crack heads that are out in the general public that can and will steal from their own mother.
Not really an effective arguement.You mayhave a false sense of security. Just some friendly advise ... Remember ...Punks drive bikes too...and not only bikers attend bike rallies.Helmets (jackets, bandanas, glasses, goggles ... what ever happens not be be locked down)gomissing atrallies ... often! Perhaps you've been lucky so far ... It's always wise tolock up what you can't afford to lose!!!

Old 07-30-2007, 11:05 AM
DI75
Ultimate HDF Member

I think it's a very wise move!!

Old 07-30-2007, 11:06 AM
cobrabob
Road Captain

You are crazy to think things won't get stolen at bike rallies bikers bars or anywhere else. We used to get stuff stolen in the locker room at the Police Department or out of unlocked Police cars on calls. Don't be dumb. If you want to keep it, lock it up.

Old 07-30-2007, 11:08 AM
monsterdeluxe
Road Captain

I would really like to believe that no one would bother my helmet, experience has taught me something different. This company had a couple options.

http://www.lockitt.com/accessories_helmet_holders.htm

Old 07-30-2007, 11:11 AM
Dashoe31
Intermediate

I bought a couple of the universdal helmet locks from the MoCo that mount right on the crash bar. I put them right above the mounts for the pegs. They are chrome so they really aren't that noticeable on the bar. Come in handy if you want to lock your leathers in the tourpak or saddle bags and don't want to carry the lids around.

Old 07-30-2007, 11:22 AM
shekmark
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a nice lock on my RK. It bolted to the frame on the left side front downtube. Works great. It aint the cost of the helmet, it's not being able to ride home ( at least not in NJ )

Old 07-30-2007, 11:42 AM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

99% of the time I put mine over the brake pedal so that it's out of sight, the other 1% it's locked in a saddlebag.

Quick Reply: Am I crazy for wanting a helmet lock?